Cashless Bail

Bigbrog

I’m okay with the concept (if I understand correctly) that if you can’t post bail there’s some type of monitoring. (GPS, house arrest).

The BUT is 1) now there is equipment involved that is going to cost tax payers money, instead of costing the accused money. and 2)….well what I said above. 

• Fire 1

The bail system is inherently unjust and unfair to people who lack resources.  On the other hand, it may work for people with resources.  That is our justice system - a model of justice to people with personal resources but a steam roller for those who lack them.   I assume cashless bail is designed to use the only tool available to even the playing field, but I don't know the minutiae.  It will simultaneously increase crime and deliver justice.

8 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

stop being accused of committing crime. then there wont be much to be unjust about

lol...simultaneously increase crime and deilver justice..

yes.. im a criminal who can't afford bail.. so i get to go do harm to someone else... and this is somehow justice...

FIFY Gone is the concept of innocent until proven guilty in a court of law?

• Fire 1

32 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

stop committing crime. then there wont be much to be unjust about

lol...simultaneously increase crime and deilver justice..

yes.. im a criminal who can't afford bail.. so i get to go do harm to someone else... and this is somehow justice...

You aren't a ctiminal until after the trial. At a bail hearing you are just the accused.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

This could backfire tremendously on those who thought cashless bail would be a good thing to keep people out of jail while awaiting trial. Before, even if someone continuously violated the terms of their release, the judge would have to keep offering a cash bail. Now it sounds like without a cash bail option, judges’ only option is to remand the accused if there is sufficient reason to believe they won’t show up to their court dates and/or they will continue committing crimes (i.e. multiple bail jumping offenses in the past).

So I will say that the little bit I have read up on it, the cashless bail is not meant for the most serious of crime allegations such as murder, assault, deadly weapons, etc.

I get the "idea" of "evening the playing field"; but to a point...we are talking about people being accused of a crime in which they had to be arrested and in jail.  Think about that. 

Also, what about looking at it from the victim's stand-point...where are their feelings being taking into consideration??  Do they not mean anything in this equation?  Or are they people who have resources?? 

To me, we should "fix the way we treat victims in our justice system, more emphasis/empathy for the victims then of those who commit crimes.

8 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

How does bail have anything to do with a plea deal?  How is it biased?  Don’t rich people pay bail to ensure they will be in court?  And isn’t bail for misdemeanors and non-violent felonies rather low?  

Because rich people can afford to pay bail and poor people can't.  And when people can't bail out, they take plea deals to get out of jail, even on weak cases, because they can't afford to wait the minimum of 6 months in jail to get to a trial to defend themselves.

• Fire 2

30 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

really.. you know how many people in prison are innocent right? 

More than zero.

Also not the point.  The point is a great many are acquitted by the court system instead of being sent there in the first place.  Individual rights are supposed to be paramount.

7 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Because rich people can afford to pay bail and poor people can't.  And when people can't bail out, they take plea deals to get out of jail, even on weak cases, because they can't afford to wait the minimum of 6 months in jail to get to a trial to defend themselves.

What do you think of an income based scale for cash bail?

2 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

More than zero.

Also not the point.  The point is a great many are acquitted by the court system instead of being sent there in the first place.  Individual rights are supposed to be paramount.

i agree

it was a joke.

must have never seen shawshank redemption

15 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

What do you think of an income based scale for cash bail?

Most bail is based on one’s ability to pay it, and it is set at a level that makes it meaningful enough for the accused to show up to court and not have to forfeit it. When one has strong ties to a community, it’s often a signature bond- bail set at an amount (but not collected) that the person only has to pay if they jump bail. If the person has an affinity for jumping bail, usually, increasing cash bail is required, though, it doesn’t often stop that person from continuing to jump bail until they are remanded. This is when you read about a murder suspect being arrested while they were out on bail after being arrested for bail jumping on a previous weapons charge.

28 minutes ago, DJT said:

Most bail is based on one’s ability to pay it, and it is set at a level that makes it meaningful enough for the accused to show up to court and not have to forfeit it. When one has strong ties to a community, it’s often a signature bond- bail set at an amount (but not collected) that the person only has to pay if they jump bail. If the person has an affinity for jumping bail, usually, increasing cash bail is required, though, it doesn’t often stop that person from continuing to jump bail until they are remanded. This is when you read about a murder suspect being arrested while they were out on bail after being arrested for bail jumping on a previous weapons charge.

I can only comment on Florida, but that is not how the Florida system works at all.

usually all rules/laws etc  are made in response to something. remember the phrase: there oughta be a law.

they used to get stricter as things went, and how the 'system' saw people abuse or avoid or loophole the law

so i would guess that most bail systems have become what they are b/c you are dealing with people who aren't really caring about what the court wants them to do.

i would guess that a person who really wants to clear his name is not going to skip bail.

and i agree its not right for the rest of us... who might get caught up in the system... or those who can't afford the bail etc.

im just saying... the 'system' is following the old adage... fool me once... shame on you... 

fool me twice... shame on me. 

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

I can only comment on Florida, but that is not how the Florida system works at all.

Does FL just have set bail amounts for each type of offense, like it’s $1000 for battery, $500 for DC, etc? That might be how it is here with misdemeanors, and if you don’t post bail immediately, you’ll get a bail hearing and the PD will ask the judge for reduced or signature. Bail/bond is set at arraignment for felonies, but can only take in account ability to pay and likelihood of showing up, but all charges, even multiple murder, must receive a cash bail amount (no “held without bail”).

Edited by DJT