Woke Translator: 2023 Edition

jross

2 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

it's a conversation. i didn't say i'm concerned about it.

but you intimated that it's not a recurring thing when it indeed happens with increasing frequency all because of 'feelings' and sensitivity. 

stanford published a whole list of new terminology they were going to implement.

do you not recall the roundly mocked list of terms PETA put out a couple years ago?

if you don't find it interesting or humorous, fine. but i do. 

I told you, I found the bonus hole language silly.  That ends my interest, though.  I didn't "intimate" anything, I just commented directly on the "bonus hole" thing you posted being a nothing-burger (IMO).  There has definitely been a push to shift some language, and I see that as a natural thing with how we interact with language.  Like my predecessors, some of it I listen to and think "sure that makes sense" and sometimes we have things like my kids calling a hot dog a "glizzy" and I think "man, that's stupid."  

17 hours ago, Theo Brixton said:

Language matters. Always has, always will. And we should all be wary of those wishing to pervert it.

Good post. For me, the interesting thing here is that nobody commented on it.

I suspect it is because both parties have been guilty of doing this exact thing for many years.

And, since most here seem to post with a particular L or R bent in mind - they didn't have much ground to stand on.

As a middle of the road guy, I see it as an insightful, useful perspective. 

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, mspart said:

The vagina is an organ.   You can poke a hole in a guy and it will not be an organ.   It will just be a wound. 

mspart

"Bonus hole"... that's DAF. 

Some here think that "they" are changing our language on us. But you have got to wonder who "they" are. No evidence of ANY specific group in on this.

Who do you suppose "they" are?

Would seem possible that it is conservatives trying to stir up the pot. Or even more likely, just plain old internet goofballs.

That "they" scapegoat does get a lot of press. Too bad it is mostly ignorant and meaningless. Easy word to use when the poster has no clue but still wants to lay blame.

• Fire 1

On 7/13/2023 at 12:08 AM, Husker_Du said:

Cmon, Vak. you're being disingenuous.

the whitewashing of language is both ridiculous and pervasive. 

someone (stanford maybe) did away with calling it 'field work'.

'birthing people' for what used to be known as 'women'

etc etc.

it's not the end of the world, but it's comical. 

'birthing people' for what used to be known as 'women'... is not even remotely pervasive. But you're 100% right, that would be ridiculous.

It isn't really happening. Just another fictitious boogie monster that fraudsters want people to worry about without any basis.

Remember when a politician used to say that D's were going to take Christmas away? And take the suburbs away? Just another con. (Except jross - I heard he was giving away his Christmas tree just yesterday. Hope he didn't go to the dark side.)

None of these things was or is being taken away from us. Just more fraudster BS made up to try to scare people.

Good news is that almost nobody is scared by this stupidity. The general public has gotten too educated for these fraud scams to work.

• Fire 1

15 hours ago, Offthemat said:

Do you think anyone will ask to have theirs put in sideways?

6 hours ago, Theo Brixton said:

Would that more favorable for your anatomical disposition?

48 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

Hell yeah. 

I just thought it was an Asian joke.

1 hour ago, DJT said:

I just thought it was an Asian joke.

It’s a joke, not Asian, but more along the lines of adjustment.  You know, spread wilder gets tighter.  It starts out say God made a mistake.  

Edited by Offthemat

10 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Good post. For me, the interesting thing here is that nobody commented on it.

I suspect it is because both parties have been guilty of doing this exact thing for many years.

And, since most here seem to post with a particular L or R bent in mind - they didn't have much ground to stand on.

As a middle of the road guy, I see it as an insightful, useful perspective. 

i dont disagree with you necessarily... but i would really like an example of the right changing the code...

• Fire 1

Some here think that "they" are changing our language on us. But you have got to wonder who "they" are. No evidence of ANY specific group in on this.

Would seem possible that it is conservatives trying to stir up the pot. Or even more likely, just plain old internet goofballs.

That "they" scapegoat does get a lot of press. Too bad it is mostly ignorant and meaningless. Easy word to use when the poster has no clue but still wants to lay blame.

it's obviously the media. just wait for the next thing to happen. each media outlet will have the same verbage

and the new term 

this thing isn't happening

this is happening but its good...

etc

i mean.. one guy didn't believe the books that were being removed from elementary libraries.. i posted those books and got a reprimand. 

he didn't believe it was happening...just like you dont.

8 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

'birthing people' for what used to be known as 'women'... is not even remotely pervasive. But you're 100% right, that would be ridiculous.

It isn't really happening. Just another fictitious boogie monster that fraudsters want people to worry about without any basis.

Remember when a politician used to say that D's were going to take Christmas away? And take the suburbs away? Just another con. (Except jross - I heard he was giving away his Christmas tree just yesterday. Hope he didn't go to the dark side.)

None of these things was or is being taken away from us. Just more fraudster BS made up to try to scare people.

Good news is that almost nobody is scared by this stupidity. The general public has gotten too educated for these fraud scams to work.

people in the govt are using it... so pervasive? i think so

yes. it is happening... not in small town america yet...but the verbiage is being put out

1 minute ago, Scouts Honor said:

this thing isn't happening

this is happening but its good...

etc

i mean.. one guy didn't believe the books that were being removed from elementary libraries.. i posted those books and got a reprimand. 

he didn't believe it was happening...just like you dont.

It really sucks when people call out you being a racist, homophobe, and flat out a jerk isn't it? People like you worried about the DEMONcrats taking away your words is so scary isn't it? Who is not letting you say whatever words you want? Remember that free speech stuff you clamor about every day?

Funny how everything to you and your buddies is left vs. right instead of what is flat out right vs. wrong. The battle you and your Fox News brethren battle each day is hysterical. I'm sure you check under your bed every night for drag queens because that is what Fox tells you to be scared of. You're more scared of drag queens harming you than a nut case going into a school/mall/park and shooting people. Your brain is so trashed with all that crap that you can't even see the real issues facing people in this country. 

4 minutes ago, BobDole said:

It really sucks when people call out you being a racist, homophobe, and flat out a jerk isn't it? People like you worried about the DEMONcrats taking away your words is so scary isn't it? Who is not letting you say whatever words you want? Remember that free speech stuff you clamor about every day?

Funny how everything to you and your buddies is left vs. right instead of what is flat out right vs. wrong. The battle you and your Fox News brethren battle each day is hysterical. I'm sure you check under your bed every night for drag queens because that is what Fox tells you to be scared of. You're more scared of drag queens harming you than a nut case going into a school/mall/park and shooting people. Your brain is so trashed with all that crap that you can't even see the real issues facing people in this country. 

i wasn't worried about any of this... until the drag hours in schools for kids started happening. 

you have to read the alinsky rules... and perhaps reread 1984

1984 is a warning. not an instruction manual.

denying these things are happening is the problem. Once we can talk on common ground we have a chance to discuss solutions. but some people WONT see that some unsavory things are actually happening.

and fox? no. not sure why that was brought up. I dont watch news at all.. .except for the weather once in awhile.

• Fire 1

37 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

i wasn't worried about any of this... until the drag hours in schools for kids started happening. 

you have to read the alinsky rules... and perhaps reread 1984

1984 is a warning. not an instruction manual.

denying these things are happening is the problem. Once we can talk on common ground we have a chance to discuss solutions. but some people WONT see that some unsavory things are actually happening.

and fox? no. not sure why that was brought up. I dont watch news at all.. .except for the weather once in awhile.

I know words hurt you, do you need a safe space away from words? I can help find you one.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

real issues? really? 

16 year old girls with males in their locker rooms.

seems pretty real.

Sure does.  Riley said when she complained, that the dressing room was designated unisex, which meant that any man could walk in.  

Edited by Offthemat