Dan Gable 72 Olympics match

mspart

Nobody even scored a point against Gable during the '72 Olympics in Munich.

I got to meet a couple of guys from that team over the next couple of years, Gable, Peterson brothers, Chris Taylor.

I met Chris at Russ Houk's Wrestling Camp.  Anyone remember that?  The race around the lake?

Back then, it was really special to be able to see and meet big time wrestlers.  We did not travel like we do now, and the information was far more limited.

• Fire 2

23 hours ago, D3 for LU said:

20-zip... it was rather one sided.

But the German did a great impression of a turtle!

D3

Think about this, he won 20-0 and still picked up 1/2 a bad mark.

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

On 7/11/2023 at 9:56 PM, ClawRidesAgain said:

Nobody even scored a point against Gable during the '72 Olympics in Munich.

I got to meet a couple of guys from that team over the next couple of years, Gable, Peterson brothers, Chris Taylor.

I met Chris at Russ Houk's Wrestling Camp.  Anyone remember that?  The race around the lake?

Back then, it was really special to be able to see and meet big time wrestlers.  We did not travel like we do now, and the information was far more limited.

I certainly remembered Russ Houck's Wrestling Camp... went there three times in the early 70's.

Also Chris Taylor was there... I remembered one evening , we were crowded in one of the wrestling pavilions listening to some of his experience @ the '72 Olympics.

The lights were attracting a lot of moths... one particularly large moth was fluttering towards Chris... he flicked his hand at it and said "BEGONE!" The moth did a 180 and went away. The crowd laughed!

D3

• Fire 1

20 hours ago, jchapman said:

Think about this, he won 20-0 and still picked up 1/2 a bad mark.

12 hours ago, mspart said:

Well, he didn't pin him.   So his effort was just not enough.   Bad mark system.  

mspart

Oh, I knew they had the bad mark system in place @ Munich... but Gable dominated all before wrestling Ashuraliev for the gold anyway.

D3

After watching a few of Gable's matches here (and note that I am in my 60s) I find it hard to reconcile my memories of him with the fact that he is a far older man now - his legend always precedes him in my mind. He was a force of nature during his time.

• Fire 1

I liked seeing all of the mat wrestling in the old free style.  Freestyle today is simply a takedown fest.  The silly little leg lace roll throughs with a guy sitting on his backside through the move just don't signify dominance of actually putting someone's shoulders near the mat.  Of course, the ref in the match against the German Turtle did the whole sport a disservice by not stalling him out.

41 minutes ago, Lipdrag said:

I liked seeing all of the mat wrestling in the old free style.  Freestyle today is simply a takedown fest.  The silly little leg lace roll throughs with a guy sitting on his backside through the move just don't signify dominance of actually putting someone's shoulders near the mat.  Of course, the ref in the match against the German Turtle did the whole sport a disservice by not stalling him out.

The German turtle. I love it.