2024 President Candidate Discussion

jross

16 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Not as funny as listening to people who refuse to read the dictionary................

Ugh...seriously...funny how people read a dictionary and then think they know everything there is about guns.  And if you knew anything about guns, the dictionary describes pretty much every semi-automatic gun out there.  So in your opinion, ALL semi-auto guns should be banned?

2 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

Ugh...seriously...funny how people read a dictionary and then think they know everything there is about guns.  And if you knew anything about guns, the dictionary describes pretty much every semi-automatic gun out there.  So in your opinion, ALL semi-auto guns should be banned?

No

• Fire 1

There are several reasons for the preference for the 5.56 x 45 (AR) and the 7.62 x 39 (AK/SK) rounds.  One is they are smaller and lighter than earlier military rounds.  Another is that while they both can be deadly if they hit vital organs, they have neither the range nor the killing power of their predecessors.  For the military, wounded soldiers take out more aggressors because they have to be tended to.  As someone posted earlier, the LV shooter fired over a thousand rounds and killed 60, wounded over 400.  

• Fire 1

15 hours ago, Gus said:

So according to you the M-16 was developed both before and after the AR-15... whatever works better to fit your narrative, eh?

Yes (to the 1st part.) As I already posted. The ArmaLite AR-15 was produced prior to the M-16. After the M-16 was produced, Colt then produced their Colt AR-15 based on the design of the M-16. This AR-15 had a different mfr, different design, but same model name. That model name became generic.

So - we are both correct, the M-16 was developed both before and after different versions of the AR-15.

I'm no weapons expert, and there is no narrative.

14 hours ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Isn’t that the most common thing going on social media? Each week thousands of experts on the newest topic. 

Yes, for the most part. Does seem the point of the whole thing. People discussing topics and exchanging perspectives from their own experience (even though mostly not experts.) Just like neighbors chatting over the fence - except without the geographic limitation. Completely anonymous, yet hopefully some people with more expertise chime in from time to time to keep it from getting completely out of hand.

It is, after all, social media - it is not, and has never been, "expert" media.

• Fire 1

13 hours ago, Bigbrog said:

Wait - but if you "read a dictionary" ... and "the dictionary describes pretty much every semi-automatic gun out there" ... which you've clearly said... doesn't it follow that you'd know an awful lot about guns?

Just going by your logic. As I've already posted, I'm no weapons expert. Nor have I claimed to be.

2 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Wait - but if you "read a dictionary" ... and "the dictionary describes pretty much every semi-automatic gun out there" ... which you've clearly said... doesn't it follow that you'd know an awful lot about guns?

Just going by your logic. As I've already posted, I'm no weapons expert. Nor have I claimed to be.

If we are calling AR-15’s “weapons of war”, shouldn’t we go by the war expert’s (say, the US Army) definition of what an assault rifle is? An AR-15 is a sporting rifle. It is not the weapon of choice for mass shootings. Hi-Point C9 9mm’s are used in mass shootings 100:1 to AR-15’s.

• Fire 3

25 minutes ago, DJT said:

If we are calling AR-15’s “weapons of war”, shouldn’t we go by the war expert’s (say, the US Army) definition of what an assault rifle is? An AR-15 is a sporting rifle. It is not the weapon of choice for mass shootings. Hi-Point C9 9mm’s are used in mass shootings 100:1 to AR-15’s.

Who are "we"? Count me out... not in your group.

Referring to the US Army for solid definitions? A lot of those date back to WW2 or earlier... count me out on that idea.

As we've beaten the "sporting rifle" thing to death already... count me out. That horse is sufficiently battered.

Maybe discuss with Bigbrog what you found on the internet... that will probably go well.

24 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Who are "we"? Count me out... not in your group.

Referring to the US Army for solid definitions? A lot of those date back to WW2 or earlier... count me out on that idea.

As we've beaten the "sporting rifle" thing to death already... count me out. That horse is sufficiently battered.

Maybe discuss with Bigbrog what you found on the internet... that will probably go well.

Encyclopedia Brittanica a better source for a definition, or are you just one of those people who says, “Well, that’s not what it means to me, so you’re wrong.”? (Which is precisely what you’re doing.) You probably think “a well-regulated militia” means a militia for which the government has set “regulations”. (Which would nullify the purpose of the second amendment.)

assault rifle

Written and fact-checked byThe Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica

Last Updated: Jul 20, 2023

assault rifle, military firearm that is chambered for ammunition of reduced size or propellant charge and that has the capacity to switch between semiautomatic and fully automatic fire. Because they are light and portable yet still able to deliver a high volume of fire with reasonable accuracy at modern combat ranges of 1,000–1,600 feet (300–500 metres), assault rifles have replaced the high-powered bolt-action and semiautomatic rifles of the World War II era as the standard infantry weapon of modern armies.

• Fire 2

7 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Yes, for the most part. Does seem the point of the whole thing. People discussing topics and exchanging perspectives from their own experience (even though mostly not experts.) Just like neighbors chatting over the fence - except without the geographic limitation. Completely anonymous, yet hopefully some people with more expertise chime in from time to time to keep it from getting completely out of hand.

It is, after all, social media - it is not, and has never been, "expert" media.

And next week the whole neighborhood will be experts in….I don’t know….reverse engineering of UFO’s?

8 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Please ole wise one...we are not as smart as you so can explain what in the hell this means?? We just dum dum's whu cant tink so gooder

So have we officially beaten it to death that AR does not in fact stand for "Assault Rifle" but rather "Arma Lite"? Clearly AR-15's are semi auto, not having fully auto capabilities, and thus are not assault rifles (unless you watch CNN).

• Fire 2
  • Stalling 1

4 minutes ago, Gus said:

So have we officially beaten it to death that AR does not in fact stand for "Assault Rifle" but rather "Arma Lite"? Clearly AR-15's are semi auto, not having fully auto capabilities, and thus are not assault rifles (unless you watch CNN).

But...but...the dictionary says....

• Fire 2

24 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

But...but...the dictionary says....

assault rifle

noun

: any of various intermediate-range, magazine-fed military rifles (such as the AK-47) that can be set for automatic or semiautomatic fire
also : a rifle that resembles a military assault rifle but is designed to allow only semiautomatic fire
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

assault rifle

noun

: any of various intermediate-range, magazine-fed military rifles (such as the AK-47) that can be set for automatic or semiautomatic fire
also : a rifle that resembles a military assault rifle but is designed to allow only semiautomatic fire

So we should take what some dictionary says over what the military and gun EXPERTS say...got it.  Guess if you look hard enough you'll find something that fits your narrative vs. what reality is.  

3 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

So we should take what some dictionary says over what the military and gun EXPERTS say...got it.  Guess if you look hard enough you'll find something that fits your narrative vs. what reality is.  

We are speaking English!  The dictionary IS reality, whether it fits your narrative or not.

• Fire 1

On 7/22/2023 at 10:18 PM, GreatWhiteNorth said:

50/50.

"Woke" isn't remotely a culture - it's a political movement. And it is based on a sketchy foundation. IMO, it isn't helpful.

Promising to "shut it down"? No, not that. The US allows people to follow their own political paths. It's part of what the country was built on. Political efforts shouldn't be hindered or "shut down" - that's what the commies do. Not us.

a political movement that WANTS to be a culture

On 7/23/2023 at 11:31 AM, Le duke said:

What happens if I decide to fight back?

Also, was this supposed to be ironic? Given that the courthouse in question is where a white mob lynched a black teenager a hundred years ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fight back? 

um, the citizens are fighting back against the instigator...

• Fire 1

On 7/23/2023 at 5:53 PM, Le duke said:

Let’s start with stomping on or burning a flag.

Apparently that’s worth a posse running me down (with Grandpa’s gun, per Aldean) in Small Town, USA, despite it being legal.

How is that going to work out for the posse, if I decide to defend myself?

Also, the congressional districts where lynchings happened in great numbers are deep red, currently. See: Nixon, Southern Strategy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you know that's NOT what they are talking about.

the post you replied to said 'hurt a citizen'

and the video shows people burning cities...not flags.

13 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

This same dictionary defines a female as "having a gender identity opposite of a male" .. So, yeah, take what it says with a grain of salt.

• Fire 2

On 7/23/2023 at 10:27 PM, DJT said:

Even if I take you on your word that you want to quash any glorification of violence, don’t you see it as more than a coincidence that we’re going to start with a country song by an outspoken conservative? Is the left going full-on puritanical? If “veiled calls for violence” in songs are too dangerous for people to hear, where are we going to stop with censorship of music and art in general? No talk or depiction of drugs, sex or violence in any songs, movies and books? There goes well over half of the Billboard Hot 100, Box Office Top 10 and New York Times Bestsellers. 

i still haven't seen any quash of violence from the left on rap music

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/25/2023 at 3:24 PM, Wrestleknownothing said:

Partial list:

.223-caliber AR-15-type semi-automatic rifle
.308-caliber AR-10-type rifle
Smith & Wesson M&P15 semiautomatic rifle
Bushmaster XM15-E2S rifle
ArmaLite AR-15 rifle
SIG Sauer MCX[9] semi-automatic rifle
Ruger AR-556 semi-automatic rifle