Merit matters

jross

47 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

A classic example of you insisting something is true, thus making it true. A tautology of ridiculousness that you are just hurling around with a link to a 57 page document that you provide no context as to where in the document you're citing to or how what the sources of the data are coming from, all from a questionable source that libertarian website reason.com describes as 'one of the biggest purveyors of bad statistics dressed up as "human trafficking awareness"'.

https://reason.com/2020/01/10/super-bowl-sex-trafficking-myths-return/

Geez… you’re acting like I quoted Breitbart. At least I pretended to use an unbiased, semi-scholarly source.

… nothing against the substance of these articles, but you’ve quoted a source that has a penchant for “wild ass language”. 

The top 3 articles on reason.com are:

1) The Government is Coming for Your Gas Stove

2) Zoning Police Criminalize Kindness in Oregon

3) ‘Mamas for Desantis is Proof: Desantis Campaign Too Online

Also, all statistics are ripe for abuse… if we were to believe Ketanji Brown Jackson in her dissent, black babies are twice as likely to survive if they are delivered by a black doctor than a white doctor.

If we didn’t take some creative liberties in our use of language and statistics, this would be a pretty boring place.

Edited by DJT

3 hours ago, DJT said:

if we were to believe Ketanji Brown Jackson in her dissent, black babies are twice as likely to survive if they are delivered by a black doctor than a white doctor..

she admitted she's not a biologist lol

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

TBD

6 hours ago, DJT said:

Geez… you’re acting like I quoted Breitbart. At least I pretended to use an unbiased, semi-scholarly source.

… nothing against the substance of these articles, but you’ve quoted a source that has a penchant for “wild ass language”. 

The top 3 articles on reason.com are:

1) The Government is Coming for Your Gas Stove

2) Zoning Police Criminalize Kindness in Oregon

3) ‘Mamas for Desantis is Proof: Desantis Campaign Too Online

Also, all statistics are ripe for abuse… if we were to believe Ketanji Brown Jackson in her dissent, black babies are twice as likely to survive if they are delivered by a black doctor than a white doctor.

If we didn’t take some creative liberties in our use of language and statistics, this would be a pretty boring place.

I'd take boring. Boring would be good.

If you haven't been watching the news, a whole lotta places are experiencing infighting among their citizens, and general unrest for, often times, no really good reason.

It's not a coincidence, it's due to those "creative liberties" you mention. Loose language, loose statistics, some verbiage with intent to outrage and - boom. Outrage, anger, and the ensuing ugliness. And then it builds upon itself. Social media is breeding anger and outrage... and then celebrating it.

It's a frustrating time. But what's more frustrating, is that some dopes seem to revel in it. Look at the post just above this one - even Husker_Du posts as if he's performing at a comedy club.

There's so little funny about any of this.

There's a reason editorial standards and practices were so important for all of our lifetimes. Social media gives us a look at what "news" is without those standards... it's ugly.

10 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

….

There's a reason editorial standards and practices were so important for all of our lifetimes. Social media gives us a look at what "news" is without those standards... it's ugly.

That’s what C-SPAN is for.

It isn’t just social media showing the lack of editorial standards, it is all of corporate media down to hometown newspapers. It’s become news entertainment in the way pro wrestling is sports entertainment.

21 minutes ago, DJT said:

That’s what C-SPAN is for.

It isn’t just social media showing the lack of editorial standards, it is all of corporate media down to hometown newspapers. It’s become news entertainment in the way pro wrestling is sports entertainment.

And yet, so many people will say this, and in the next chat parrot what they hear from the media they listen to, while calling everyone idiots who listens to the media they don't listen to.   The hypocrisy and idiocy is filled to the brim, on both sides.

• Fire 2

11 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

If you haven't been watching the news, a whole lotta places are experiencing infighting among their citizens, and general unrest for, often times, no really good reason.

It's not a coincidence, it's due to those "creative liberties" you mention. Loose language, loose statistics, some verbiage with intent to outrage and - boom. Outrage, anger, and the ensuing ugliness. And then it builds upon itself. Social media is breeding anger and outrage... and then celebrating it.

It's a frustrating time. But what's more frustrating, is that some dopes seem to revel in it. Look at the post just above this one - even Husker_Du posts as if he's performing at a comedy club.

There's so little funny about any of this.

can you tell us what topics you think there is in-fighting regarding among citizens? 

and you think the problem is 'dopes like me' making a joke on a message board about Ketanji Brown not knowing what a woman is, but not the fact that we just put a Supreme Court Justice on the court that refuses to accept science. 

I'll say that again - a Supreme Court Justice, whose only job is to follow science and the law, refuses to accept a very basic concept because of the current cultural climate. it's the definition of politicizing a court.

but yeah, dopes like me are the problem 

• Fire 2

TBD

20 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

And yet, so many people will say this, and in the next chat parrot what they hear from the media they listen to, while calling everyone idiots who listens to the media they don't listen to.   The hypocrisy and idiocy is filled to the brim, on both sides.

There simply is no unbiased news left. There is a commentary/opinion/editorial angle to every single article from every single source. It's probably best to get your news from the most biased sources from each side, that way you at least know what's not true.

• Fire 1

12 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

There's never been (in my lifetime) unbiased 'news'.

there's people who are willing to filter and research the truth, and there are (many more) people who just lap up what their fed. 

it's cliche, but it's the simple fact

The irony is that those that "filter and research" - or at least think they are doing that - then end up lapping up what they are fed, too. Often times they think they can't trust mainstream media... so they end up at the kooks and wackos sites.

Seems almost better for the rank and file to blindly trust Fox News than to dig into the depths of the internet sewer.

13 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

can you tell us what topics you think there is in-fighting regarding among citizens? 

and you think the problem is 'dopes like me' making a joke on a message board about Ketanji Brown not knowing what a woman is, but not the fact that we just put a Supreme Court Justice on the court that refuses to accept science. 

I'll say that again - a Supreme Court Justice, whose only job is to follow science and the law, refuses to accept a very basic concept because of the current cultural climate. it's the definition of politicizing a court.

but yeah, dopes like me are the problem 

Sorry to hurt your ego, but it's not about you. Read the paragraph ABOVE the one that mentions you. The one that starts with "It's not a coincidence."

That is where the actual subject of my post resides.

My mention of you is more of an afterthought... dopey posters are frustrating when they don't even try to understand what other posters are communicating. Why exchange thoughts on a silly BBS when you have no intention of actually understanding others' perspectives or trying to learn from them?

The value here is in the effort to understand each other.

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth

On 6/29/2023 at 4:12 PM, Plasmodium said:

end of article Between 600,000 and 800,000 people are trafficked across international borders every year. Around 80% are women and girls, and up to 50% are minors. “If you see something, say something,” Frederick said.

https://metroairportnews.com/flight-attendant-prevents-human-trafficking-on-alaska-airlines/

On 6/29/2023 at 7:23 PM, Wrestleknownothing said:

Why do they have to be 30% white male?

36% of Standford students are from CA. CA is not 36% of the US or the world.

What rule or criteria of theirs are you referring to?

many people when talking about elections think cali should be 36% of the US

On 6/30/2023 at 5:50 PM, VakAttack said:

So random web designer who doesn't actually have a business yet is allowed to discriminate if/when she ever opens up her business. Currently open Colleges, even private ones, are not allowed to "reverse discriminate."

i am not certain that is what the web designer case is about.

say you have a muslim baker. a jew comes in and wants him to make a cake. the cake has the face of muhammed drawn in a denigrating way. by the old law, precedent, whatever, the muslim had to bake the cake.

13 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

say you have a muslim baker. a jew comes in and wants him to make a cake. the cake has the face of muhammed drawn in a denigrating way. by the old law, precedent, whatever, the muslim had to bake the cake.

The better question is, if a Muslim went into a Jewish bakery and asked to have a cake with a picture of Mohammed on it, could the Jewish baker refuse? 🤔

9 minutes ago, DJT said:

The better question is, if a Muslim went into a Jewish bakery and asked to have a cake with a picture of Mohammed on it, could the Jewish baker refuse? 🤔

i dont think a jew objects to the existence of muhammed

another example would be what they keep asking the baker in colorado to do. after my last near ban i will not post what he was asked to put on a cake. 

2 hours ago, DJT said:

Not gonna happen.  It is blasphemy for a Muslim to create a depiction of the prophet.

2 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Not gonna happen.  It is blasphemy for a Muslim to create a depiction of the prophet.

I wasn’t being serious. I was really just setting up a good self-deprecating Jew joke, but I was reminded of my recent ban and didn’t want to push it… 

17 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

of course it's not about me.

it's about politicizing a SC Judge. 

but you moved right past that, huh? 

Don't be a dummy. Nothing I posted had anything to do with the SC Judge. That's the post you made that followed mine.

Again - seems you are all about you.

Which is so weird considering we're in a place where the exchanging of ideas should be the point.

Whatever you are doing - maybe switch it up and start considering other perspectives, it would do you well.

again, not going round and round with you.

you're more focused on personal barbs than you are about the topic at hand, which, in this thread is 'merit'.

frankly, i have no idea what you're talking about. re-read the thread maybe. 

TBD

11 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Which is so weird considering we're in a place where the exchanging of ideas should be the point.

Whatever you are doing - maybe switch it up and start considering other perspectives, it would do you well.

Other ideas and perspectives? You mean conspiracy theories and fake news?

17 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

It's 100% what the case is about.  Her business wasn't open when she filed suit, I don't know if it's open now.  It turns out the alleged "request" she got from a gay couple to work on a website is likely fake, either by her or (less likely) someone trolling her unopened business, and she sought approval to not have to serve gay people (again for a business that wasn't even open at the time).

Here's some reporting on the alleged request from the "gay couple" showing that it is, in fact, fake:  https://www.businessinsider.com/supreme-court-lgbtq-rights-colorado-business-owner-made-up-claim-2023-6