Real Woods - day to day

Mr. PeanutButter

Coach Brands stated during this week's pre-meet presser that Real Woods was "day to day" due to an unspecified injury. Now, just this morning the FRL bronies reported that Woods is out of the All Star. 

Maybe it's just a minor injury and Woods will be in the lineup in a couple weeks but doesn't it seem like Iowa wrestlers have a higher tendency to be injured than other teams? 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Coach Brands stated during this week's pre-meet presser that Real Woods was "day to day" due to an unspecified injury. Now, just this morning the FRL bronies reported that Woods is out of the All Star. 

Maybe it's just a minor injury and Woods will be in the lineup in a couple weeks but doesn't it seem like Iowa wrestlers have a higher tendency to be injured than other teams? 

Higher chance of shot in the foot, on mat injuries- about avg. 

BTW: no one who is even a little "dinged up" is going to wrestle the All Star, its just not important in the bigger scheme of things.  

Edited by ionel

Can relate.

Granddaughter once fell asleep in my left arm while I watched the telly.

Wife nearly called 911 thinking I was having a heart attack.

Couldn't move it properly for three days.  Kid was such a loaf of meat.  A dense meatloaf.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

19 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Can relate.

Granddaughter once fell asleep in my left arm while I watched the telly.

Wife nearly called 911 thinking I was having a heart attack.

Couldn't move it properly for three days.  Kid was such a loaf of meat.  A dense meatloaf.

older than @BobDole and living in England, who knew?  🤫

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, scorenomore said:

What is the deal at Iowa?  The injury rate seems off the charts. Gotta look hard at the training staff for injury prevention.  Real goes what 4 years at Stanford without major issues and cannot even make it to Thanksgiving at Iowa?

I hear ya!!!  Too many buddy carries up Mt. Everest....lol  or too many "Red Flag" days.

Edited by Fadzaev2
  • Haha 1

What is the deal at Iowa?  The injury rate seems off the charts. Gotta look hard at the training staff for injury prevention.  Real goes what 4 years at Stanford without major issues and cannot even make it to Thanksgiving at Iowa?

Training staff? No.

Head and associate head coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, scorenomore said:

No. In 2021, he had injuries all season. He only went 6-3 that year.

10 hours ago, ionel said:

Higher chance of shot in the foot, on mat injuries- about avg. 

BTW: no one who is even a little "dinged up" is going to wrestle the All Star, its just not important in the bigger scheme of things.  

Understood and agreed on the latter part. Perhaps I'm simply overreacting but it seems like going on for about 10 years now the hawks have at least 1 major injury each year. It feels like more than any other team but that's why I posed the question in the first place -because I don't know for certain.

Maybe WKN can crunch the injury stats for us 

• Fire 1

8 hours ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Understood and agreed on the latter part. Perhaps I'm simply overreacting but it seems like going on for about 10 years now the hawks have at least 1 major injury each year. It feels like more than any other team but that's why I posed the question in the first place -because I don't know for certain.

Maybe WKN can crunch the injury stats for us 

You may be correct but I'd say OSU has been up there maybe surpassed them last half dozen years, they had 3 starters injured last half of last season. 

• Fire 1

It does seem like Iowa has a lot, but you could look at a number of other programs and they have had their share.  Perhaps not as highly publicized? For instance, Minnesota always seems to be heavily taped up at the end of the year; Penn State has had plenty, too. (Nolf, Cassar, Kerkvliet, Berge, Berge, Starocci, Howard, Howard, Rasheed,  Suriano, etc.) (Maybe we don't think about the PSU injuries as much because they have been doing more winning as individuals and as a team?) Cornell as well.

Maybe we are seeing more injuries due to the extra (Covid) year?  Another year of D1 wear and tear is probably a lot for many of these kids.

As far as the all-star meet:  Is it like in years past?  In the past, the matches did not count toward seeding.  If that is the case, why bother pushing an injury?

• Fire 1

11 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I'm not sure that I remember this.  Can you please remind the board?

Mark Hall loses 3-2 to Zahid Valencia in All Star match in 2017.  Mark Hall, the undefeated returning 2016-17 National Champion and 2017-18 B1G Champion gets seeded 2nd at 2017-18 NCAAs.  Coaches ranking, used in seeding, reported by Cael Sanderson to have considered the all star match result.

Edited by 98lberEating2Lunches
  • Fire 1

11 minutes ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

Mark Hall loses 3-2 to Zahid Valencia in All Star match in 2017.  Mark Hall, the undefeated returning 2016-17 National Champion and 2017-18 B1G Champion gets seeded 2nd at 2017-18 NCAAs.  Coaches ranking, used in seeding, reported by Cael Sanderson to have considered the all star match result.

Yeah.  I wouldn't be happy with that.  I would probably pull future athletes from that particular competition until there was more clarity as to whether it really "counts" or not.

19 minutes ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

6 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Yeah.  I wouldn't be happy with that.  I would probably pull future athletes from that particular competition until there was more clarity as to whether it really "counts" or not.

What place did he finish and who/what seed did he lose to?

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I understand Cael's current position is that any participant should treat it like any other competition by assuming it will be considered by Coaches in their rankings.  I don't think coaches (even Cael) are in a real strong position to pull athletes, because NIL is in play for NWCA All Star match participants (Flo has the broadcast rights).

Edited by 98lberEating2Lunches