But Can He Wrestle?

I'm an old, dumb guy, so pardon the question.  I'm still trying to figure out how the Kardashian clan isn't working at Walmart for $10 an hour...

I clicked on the "Family for Life" link and understood nothing of that.  So is this company going to sell jerseys with this kids name on the back?  Is this company going to sell those digital cards of this kid?  Is some rich guy gonna buy little Johnny (or Donny) these things for his birthday?  You may have figured out that I won't be first (or last) in line for either.  Just trying to understand these things, I guess. 

Aren't there a lot of phenoms pre-teen and teen that don't go on to college or pro levels?   Why would anyone sign an NIL for 9 year old?   I think this is ludicrous and will be behind Bernie in that line.    In fact, aren't there standout HS athletes that go nowhere?   It's like the Heisman trophy winner than can't make the NFL or have a substantial career in the NFL.   How many have there been?   A few for sure.   I have to say Pat Sullivan of Auburn won the Heisman as their QB and didn't really do much in the NFL.   I was happy about that because he beat out Johnny Musso of AL.   I'm a Tide fan!!   Musso did not play NFL much either so it was a bad year there.   Even Archie Griffin, two time Heisman winner didn't have a long successful career.  

And they are going to pay a 9 year old for naming and likeness rights?   Not a fan.   He may just decide debate is his thing.   Who knows?

mspart

I was a great football player at 6 and 7.   Just ask me.   Then my mom made me quit because she was afraid i would squished.   So I did wrestling when I found out about it.  

I played in the 65 lb league and it was tackle.   Then it went to the 85 lb league and weighing no more than 40 lbs, my mom figured my football career was over one way or another.   I was not a particularly standout wrestler, but I love the sport.  NIL would have been wasted on me!!

mspart

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, PencilNeck said:

I may come off as a scold here, but do 9 year-olds really need to be playing tackle football?

No...they don't. I think this is a bad idea.

As a 9 year old, I loved it, but...these kids are going to have plenty of opportunities to get concussed. Play some flag until you get into HS.

But that won't happen, so I at least hope they keep working on those helmets. 

The companies making these helmets pictured below or the padding that goes on over the helmet, they had a prototype for one that had that type of padding inside the actual helmet. A few NFL players whined about it(Jason Kelce in particular)...which I found particularly stoopid given a HOF Center who played professional football in the same state as he does(Webster, Steelers) was the player who started this whole CTE push for safer rules.

I don't know if there is any actual relation, but I got ~4-5 real good concussions. Puking, memory loss, etc...one was playing FB, one Wrestling, a couple just as a kid. Then probably dozens of other smaller ones that I didn't think much of and never lost my memory. Relatively common based on how they describe the minor concussions. But now I get these headaches a couple times a week that are just brutal.

Kids won't stop playing sports...and it'd probably be even worse for their health if they did given the obesity rate in this Country, so the most obvious answers to me are to keep developing this type of technology and just let a kid develop a little more before they start playing tackle.

NFL hopes to reduce head injuries with 'goofy' helmet experiment

• Fire 3

57 minutes ago, mspart said:

I was a great football player at 6 and 7.   Just ask me.   Then my mom made me quit because she was afraid i would squished.   So I did wrestling when I found out about it.  

I played in the 65 lb league and it was tackle.   Then it went to the 85 lb league and weighing no more than 40 lbs, my mom figured my football career was over one way or another.   I was not a particularly standout wrestler, but I love the sport.  NIL would have been wasted on me!!

mspart

LOL...I was headed for the NFL...just ask me! 

11-12 years old, about 6' 145. The weight limit was 140 to play RB, so made that...was POSITIVE I was gonna end up 6'5 and Colleges would be lining up! 

Fast forward to my Sr year and I had really shot up. I was all of...6 1/4th and 190 pounds. I had a couple D3 schools in the area ask me if I was interested in playing Football...in a group meeting with 3-4 other guys on my team.

Seriously though, if these companies are stupid enough to give out 6 figures to kids who are 9 years old, I REALLY hope these parents are smart enough to put that money into investments so that kid can start his life with a foot up if he doesn't end up being a phenom...which it's so ridiculous to even try and speculate at 9 years old how a kid is going to grow and develop.

This particular kid seems like he's got a pretty bright father, so hopefully he'll end up with something, but how often would it not go that way.

4 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

I REALLY hope these parents are smart enough to put that money into investments so that kid can start his life with a foot up if he doesn't end up being a phenom...

you are kidding correct?  🙄

maybe invest in the kid's education

• Fire 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/9-year-old-signs-six-figure-nil-deal-with-sports-agency/

Which nine year old wrestler is in line to cash in on NIL NOW?

How about eight years old?

Will anyone pay for the naming rights to a wrestler's child, before the child is born? Conceived?

Or does he like jell-o?

LSU’S TOP NIL DONOR BREAKS MERLE HAGGARD’S OLD WORLD RECORD BY BUYING MORE THAN $40,000 WORTH OF JELL-O SHOTS IN OMAHA

• Fire 1
  • Clown 1

My DMs are open.

I will get your kid noticed and signed by one of the Big Three: McDonald's, Hasbro or Play Doh.

Our company has 348 snappy ready-to-use trademarked catchphrases, you know, like "If you aren't first, you're last" and "WOOOO!"

Like those, only better.

We'll put your child on a Science Diet like he's a Golden Retriever, and if he needs to get bigger, we know a doctor in Mexico.

Finally, we won't promise to put your kid on a box of Wheaties, we promise that he'll be able to buy General Mills.

100% Money Back Guarantee.

• Haha 2

I guess I should've read the other comments before posting. What a bunch of sour pusses!

Y'all realize that every four-year-old girl-toddler in Florida spends her weekends wearing tiaras, bikinis and tap dance shoes, right? Not to mention the glitter, spray-on tan, fake nails and lip gloss! And those childlings can earn 5, 10 even 25-thousand dollar scholarships.

Why, what you speak of is Title IX reverse discrimination. You can read more about it in my new book, Pimping Your Child Star and Thirty Other Ways to Piss Off Old People.

• Fire 1

8 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

I guess I should've read the other comments before posting. What a bunch of sour pusses!

Y'all realize that every four-year-old girl-toddler in Florida spends her weekends wearing tiaras, bikinis and tap dance shoes, right? Not to mention the glitter, spray-on tan, fake nails and lip gloss! And those childlings can earn 5, 10 even 25-thousand dollar scholarships.

Why, what you speak of is Title IX reverse discrimination. You can read more about it in my new book, Pimping Your Child Star and Thirty Other Ways to Piss Off Old People.

Let me know if you have Thirty Other Ways ... in paperback and available on Amazon, I'm having trouble remembering all the things that annoy me.

• Fire 1

On 6/26/2023 at 7:00 PM, ionel said:

you are kidding correct?  🙄

maybe invest in the kid's education

Dude, are you serious? How are you taking issue with me saying I hope that the parents invest the money the kid got so he starts with a leg up? How could you POSSIBLY take that and infer any negative connotations?

You do realize that a College fund is an investment, right?

Starting your life without student loans...should he choose to go to school for something that actually requires a degree, that right there is a leg up.

Or just a simple trust fund that he can't access without permission until he's a certain age ~30 is a good one for me. 

I'm still at a loss as to how that comment could POSSIBLY be met with an eye roll.

22 hours ago, ionel said:

Let me know if you have Thirty Other Ways ... in paperback and available on Amazon, I'm having trouble remembering all the things that annoy me.

To be honest, I haven't written the book yet. I haven't even dictated it to my administrative assistant. However, we can co-author the book, and it would be easy. Our target audience is right here. We can also do our research right here on this blog. In fact, I already have a list of some of the things that piss off old people culled from the threads at intermatforums:

1. Pimping Your Child Star pisses off old people.
  2. Wrestling Celebrations piss off old people.
  3. Cursing on Wrestling Podcasts pisses off old people.
  4. Pimping Your Own Content pisses off old people

The book is almost written! 

On the topic at hand, I have to say that people should realize that nobody investing NIL money in a child knows if Johnny Football is going to grow up and win the Heisman Trophy. More to the point, nobody cares. They want to create, or hitch a ride on, a tiny social media influencer so that his audience hears about their product. The fact that people are already talking about it means $$$. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

To be honest, I haven't written the book yet. I haven't even dictated it to my administrative assistant. However, we can co-author the book, and it would be easy. Our target audience is right here. We can also do our research right here on this blog. In fact, I already have a list of some of the things that piss off old people culled from the threads at intermatforums:

1. Pimping Your Child Star pisses off old people.
  2. Wrestling Celebrations piss off old people.
  3. Cursing on Wrestling Podcasts pisses off old people.
  4. Pimping Your Own Content pisses off old people

The book is almost written! 

On the topic at hand, I have to say that people should realize that nobody investing NIL money in a child knows if Johnny Football is going to grow up and win the Heisman Trophy. More to the point, nobody cares. They want to create, or hitch a ride on, a tiny social media influencer so that his audience hears about their product. The fact that people are already talking about it means $$$. 

Is it on Amazon?! I am looking for my Amazon pw! Yes, not being able to find it pisses me off! So does buying shit on Amazon! 

• Fire 1

On 6/26/2023 at 4:00 PM, Wrestleknownothing said:

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/9-year-old-signs-six-figure-nil-deal-with-sports-agency/

Which nine year old wrestler is in line to cash in on NIL NOW?

How about eight years old?

Will anyone pay for the naming rights to a wrestler's child, before the child is born? Conceived?

There are new parents to this sport all the time. The parents that have not been exposed to the sport until their 8 yr joins a club. Those parents will keep buying the crazy shit that is being offered. Like the "Head butting headgear" with the hard plastic piece on the forehead. 

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Dude, are you serious? How are you taking issue with me saying I hope that the parents invest the money the kid got so he starts with a leg up? How could you POSSIBLY take that and infer any negative connotations?

You do realize that a College fund is an investment, right?

Starting your life without student loans...should he choose to go to school for something that actually requires a degree, that right there is a leg up.

Or just a simple trust fund that he can't access without permission until he's a certain age ~30 is a good one for me. 

I'm still at a loss as to how that comment could POSSIBLY be met with an eye roll.

First it does happen occasionally on these here boards that one doesn't respond/articulate well in a post response.  I know I've done poorly at least once before.  My roll eyes was not toward you or your post but the thought that the parents pimping the 9 year old are smart enough.  The investment comment was intended after the eye roll and intended to mean invest in your kid's education now when it really matters at a young age.  

Now all that said, maybe an "influencer" doesn't need an education if successful and has it made for life, well maybe right up until AI takes over all "influencer" activity.  This'll be the point in time where learning to fish is more important than receiving that bucket of fish at age 9.  

If I didn't say this well don't worry as IWB has a new book on this very topic.  🙂

• Fire 1

On 6/26/2023 at 4:52 PM, scourge165 said:

LOL...I was headed for the NFL...just ask me! 

11-12 years old, about 6' 145. The weight limit was 140 to play RB, so made that...was POSITIVE I was gonna end up 6'5 and Colleges would be lining up! 

Fast forward to my Sr year and I had really shot up. I was all of...6 1/4th and 190 pounds. I had a couple D3 schools in the area ask me if I was interested in playing Football...in a group meeting with 3-4 other guys on my team.

Seriously though, if these companies are stupid enough to give out 6 figures to kids who are 9 years old, I REALLY hope these parents are smart enough to put that money into investments so that kid can start his life with a foot up if he doesn't end up being a phenom...which it's so ridiculous to even try and speculate at 9 years old how a kid is going to grow and develop.

This particular kid seems like he's got a pretty bright father, so hopefully he'll end up with something, but how often would it not go that way.

Sophomore year, weighed 99.  Junior 105, senior had a growth spurt to 113.   Yeah, I was good at football back when I was 6 and 7.   🤣

To your other point, right on.   Hoefully his folks are savvy enough to invest that money for him.  

mspart

• Fire 1