How long do Brands and Sanderson keep at it?

35 minutes ago, TwoPointsTakeDown84 said:

I'll take it as red that they have the jobs as long as they want. 

Who could, conceivably, take over after they decide to hang it up? Is it anyone we know today or is there enough time for someone to build their resume and step in. 

If you go based on their respective team Rivals sites it will be Spencer Lee and David Taylor, respectively.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

For PSU, I would say everyone is conceivably in play.  ISU finished 2nd, 5th, and 3rd under Cael so I am sure PSU will pay whatever and the ability to have PSU's resources should be tempting for almost anyone. 

For Iowa, I would think there is enough time for someone to build a resume and step in.  I can't think of anyone currently that would excite most Hawk fans except maybe Spence Lee but he likely isn't interested until at least after 2028. 

26 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Cael is only 44.  I don't think he's retiring soon. The Brands are 55 though...

I don't think you can only look at age with these things. Gable retired at 47 years old after only 22 seasons as head coach. I think Cael is already entering his 18th year as a head coach and Tom is on 21 years.

With that said, I don't see either retiring anytime soon.

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Jamie_Taco said:

I don't think you can only look at age with these things. Gable retired at 47 years old after only 22 seasons as head coach. I think Cael is already entering his 18th year as a head coach and Tom is on 21 years.

With that said, I don't see either retiring anytime soon.

Why did Gable retire so young?

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I meant retire from coaching.  If this was the reason he couldn't coach then that doesn't bode well for Spencer Lee as the next Iowa HC.

**GIF of buddy from charles in charge hitting himself with a mallet in the head**

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TwoPointsTakeDown84 said:

I'll take it as red that they have the jobs as long as they want. 

Thank god for NIL.  There was talk of Brands being on the hot seat before it was ruled that you could buy a team instead of building one.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

If you go based on their respective team Rivals sites it will be Spencer Lee and David Taylor, respectively.

What do Iowa fans believe that Spencer Lee brings to the table to be a successful D1 coach at a place like Iowa, besides being a 3x champ and one of the most polarizing figures in the history of the program? 

• Fire 2

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

9 minutes ago, Idaho said:

What do Iowa fans believe that Spencer Lee brings to the table to be a successful D1 coach at a place like Iowa, besides being a 3x champ and one of the most polarizing figures in the history of the program? 

A great scouting binder. 

• Fire 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Idaho said:

I can't tell if you're being serious or not with this question.

Since when was Spencer one of the most polarizing figures in the history of the Iowa program? Do you even know what polarizing means? You clearly don't have a grasp on the history of Iowa wrestling either. The 80s and 90s were filled with actual polarizing guys (e.g. Royce Alger).

99% of the people who "hate" Spencer Lee hate him because of the singlet he wore, not because of the person he is. If Spencer wrestled for Cornell, do you think he would have received the hate that he got from some of you over the last 5 years? You know the answer is no.

Now to answer your question, Iowa fans see Spencer as a very popular, well-spoken, successful Hawkeye who would bring strong ties to the state of PA and continue close relationships with Jody and Young Guns. I don't think it's any secret now that recruiting is 75% of the battle in today's college wrestling. Most of the kids who will be coming through over the next 10-12 years will have grown up watching and idolizing guys like Spencer, who has been the face of the sport for the last four years. He also isn't done competing and seems to be one of those people who succeeds at anything he puts his mind to. Why should coaching be any different?

Now here's a question for you. Before Gable took over the Iowa program and Cael took over ISU, what did they bring to the table besides being really popular and successful at wrestling?

• Fire 2

2 minutes ago, Jamie_Taco said:

Before Gable took over the Iowa program and Cael took over ISU, what did they bring to the table besides being really popular and successful at wrestling?

Gable took over for Gary Kurdelmeier who had Iowa heading in the right direction. Never before had Iowa won an NCAA Title. Gary recruited Dan Gable and after four years and two NCAA tltles he turned the program over to him.  https://hawkfanatic.com/2020/07/13/gary-kurdelmeiers-vision-and-unselfishness-helped-build-the-iowa-wrestling-dynasty/

Gable retired from Coaching and has said many times the reason was he could no longer roll on the mat with his wrestlers. Hip & knees - not being able to keep wrestling with his athletes was why he left.

Cael is every bit as good as a coach but a very different personality. Might be a good clue as to whether he will keep on for another decade or more.

• Fire 1

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

1 hour ago, KCMO2 said:

Thank god for NIL.  There was talk of Brands being on the hot seat before it was ruled that you could buy a team instead of building one.

Where did you see or hear this? Surely you're not speaking to message board comments as actual facts. Tom has never been on the hot seat at Iowa. This is the same athletic department that won't fire an offensive coordinator who finished 99th and 123rd in total offense over the last two years. Tom has won four titles and as recent as two years ago. He is as safe as safe can be in Iowa City.

Now with the new AD coming in, this could all change.

• Fire 3

5 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

Gable took over for Gary Kurdelmeier who had Iowa heading in the right direction. Never before had Iowa won an NCAA Title. Gary recruited Dan Gable and after four years and two NCAA tltles he turned the program over to him.  https://hawkfanatic.com/2020/07/13/gary-kurdelmeiers-vision-and-unselfishness-helped-build-the-iowa-wrestling-dynasty/

Gable retired from Coaching and has said many times the reason was he could no longer roll on the mat with his wrestlers. Hip & knees - not being able to keep wrestling with his athletes was why he left.

Cael is every bit as good as a coach but a very different personality. Might be a good clue as to whether he will keep on for another decade or more.

I appreciate the response, but I knew the history.

My question was more about showing how those guys needed a start at some point too. At one time they were both guys with incredible wrestling careers but no coaching history. When ISU fans were calling for Cael to get Bobby's job, I wonder if people back then were asking, "What do Iowa State fans believe that Cael Sanderson brings to the table to be a successful D1 coach at a place like Iowa State, besides being a 4x champ?" I doubt it. Some people just have it and you know it. I believe Spencer is cut from the same cloth but time will tell.

I also don't think there is a single knowledgeable Iowa fan who thinks Spencer would be ready to take over tomorrow, but if he joins the staff at some point over the next few years, who's to say he wouldn't be ready to take over after a couple of years like the other guys mentioned?

My pure speculation is Cael doesn't coach to Brands age. He seems to be a very hands on coach. I think he'll hand the team off to DT after he gets to 16. 

But I would not be shocked if he takes a role with Team USA while remaining in State College (thus making State College a de facto training center also)

14 hours ago, Jamie_Taco said:

I can't tell if you're being serious or not with this question.

Since when was Spencer one of the most polarizing figures in the history of the Iowa program? Do you even know what polarizing means? You clearly don't have a grasp on the history of Iowa wrestling either. The 80s and 90s were filled with actual polarizing guys (e.g. Royce Alger).

99% of the people who "hate" Spencer Lee hate him because of the singlet he wore, not because of the person he is. If Spencer wrestled for Cornell, do you think he would have received the hate that he got from some of you over the last 5 years? You know the answer is no.

Now to answer your question, Iowa fans see Spencer as a very popular, well-spoken, successful Hawkeye who would bring strong ties to the state of PA and continue close relationships with Jody and Young Guns. I don't think it's any secret now that recruiting is 75% of the battle in today's college wrestling. Most of the kids who will be coming through over the next 10-12 years will have grown up watching and idolizing guys like Spencer, who has been the face of the sport for the last four years. He also isn't done competing and seems to be one of those people who succeeds at anything he puts his mind to. Why should coaching be any different?

Now here's a question for you. Before Gable took over the Iowa program and Cael took over ISU, what did they bring to the table besides being really popular and successful at wrestling?

It was actually a serious question of what he brings to the table as a head D1 coach since many are hailing him as heir apparent to Brands.  Ypu will also notice that I said “one of the most polarizing” which means there are others.  No need to get your panties in a wad. 

14 hours ago, Jamie_Taco said:

"What do Iowa State fans believe that Cael Sanderson brings to the table to be a successful D1 coach at a place like Iowa State, besides being a 4x champ?"

And a legit question that was probably asked backed then and that I ask now.  You answered the question. Move on.