Smokers (Meat)

Husker_Du

5 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Chicken lollipops and bacon/spinach Mac n cheeseIMG_5704.thumb.jpeg.ed3c098d653cb2d2d843bcb204cfe2cb.jpegIMG_5720.thumb.jpeg.801c328f4adec373881503700a5cbf7c.jpeg

That's a new one on me: bacon spinach mac and cheese.  Looks great. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

2 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Thank you. This is full set up:

IMG_7610.jpeg

My brother once lived in Boca Raton.  It's like intercostal,  or something like that  that they called those canals.  What do they call them?

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

10 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

My brother once lived in Boca Raton.  It's like intercostal,  or something like that  that they called those canals.  What do they call them?

I’m in Cape Coral, which has over 400 miles of canals running throughout the city (largest canal system in the world). Some lead to the gulf (or pine island sound to be exact), some are landlocked, and some lead to the Caloosahatchee River. The C river runs inland to Lake Okachobee, which then has another river running out the other side and to the east coast….giving is the Intercoastal Waterway 

42 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

I’m in Cape Coral, which has over 400 miles of canals running throughout the city (largest canal system in the world). Some lead to the gulf (or pine island sound to be exact), some are landlocked, and some lead to the Caloosahatchee River. The C river runs inland to Lake Okachobee, which then has another river running out the other side and to the east coast….giving is the Intercoastal Waterway 

That's it. 

I wish that the folks advocating for Meat Church Holy Cow would have warned me to not put it on liberally, as you do with a typical rub.

SALTY!

1 hour ago, Jason Bryant said:

And loads of black pepper on some of them.

Due to my wife's diligence,  she managed to scrape off much of the excess,  which made a big difference. 

16 minutes ago, Gus said:

Pork butt questions for the group.

1. Fat cap up or down?

2. Score the top side of the pork butt before cooking or no?

It doesn’t matter, the fat on the outside will not penetrate into the meat, it’ll just melt and drip off.  Meat that has marbling, fat distributed all through the meat, will render and flavor the meat.  About the only thing you can add that will penetrate is salt, based on how long you apply it before cooking.  If you want to add flavor or juiciness internally, you need to inject it.  Scoring would only expand outer surface. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Offthemat said:

It doesn’t matter, the fat on the outside will not penetrate into the meat, it’ll just melt and drip off.  Meat that has marbling, fat distributed all through the meat, will render and flavor the meat.  About the only thing you can add that will penetrate is salt, based on how long you apply it before cooking.  If you want to add flavor or juiciness internally, you need to inject it.  Scoring would only expand outer surface. 

Agreed with these comments.  Will add, that I have started to smoke with the fat cap down as to not dry out the meat that is closes to the heat source...it has made that meat some of the best and moistest (yes I said moistest) parts of the pork butt/brisket.

• Fire 1

17 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

Agreed with these comments.  Will add, that I have started to smoke with the fat cap down as to not dry out the meat that is closes to the heat source...it has made that meat some of the best and moistest (yes I said moistest) parts of the pork butt/brisket.

Agreed, point the fat at the heat.  With brisket in my little offset smoker, I flip it end for end and over to expose it all to the same conditions.  On the last one, a little of the fat side stuck to the grate and the brisket was so juicy and tender that it pulled in two when I tried to remove it.   

47 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

This is my typical setup as well and they always turn out juicy and delicious.

Do you do any injecting or bringing on your pork butt?

• Fire 1