Willie idea for 'redshirt' controversy - 5 years to compete - 4 post seasons. Period.

Dark Energy

2 hours ago, Formally140 said:

And I’m saying the biggest obstacle will be people sueing over not getting the same opportunity 

I get the sue happy, entitled world we live in... however let's say  the rule were to change for everyone to have  5 years to compete ... and 4 years to compete in the post-season.... how is that not getting the same opportunity?  

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

15 minutes ago, Formally140 said:

Yes. If you don’t think there will be people trying to do everything in their power to use the legal system or the threat of lawsuits to get around this rule if it’s implemented.. you haven’t spent much time around education or parents these days.

I think people aren’t getting the point. I’m saying IF this rule is implemented. Or to even get the rule implemented. Parents/athletes appealing will be one of the biggest obstacles. Especially given how they’ll be able to point out how “other kids got the same opportunity, why can’t Johnny”

maybe I’m cynical but I’m looking at the obstacles that need to be overcome. I don’t hate the rule. 

When they change the speed limit do people sue because they used to be able to go faster?

When they made the Heil rule going into his senior year, did he sue because he used to be able to look at the lights without penalty?

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Idaho said:

I get the sue happy, entitled world we live in... however let's say  the rule were to change for everyone to have  5 years to compete ... and 4 years to compete in the post-season.... how is that not getting the same opportunity?  

Again. I like the rule. I’m pointing out one of the big obstacles that’ll have to be overcome. That’s it. I think people are mostly just being annoyed I’m pointing out what will happen. Even if the cases get squashed. It will happen. 

2 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

When they change the speed limit do people sue because they used to be able to go faster?

When they made the Heil rule going into his senior year, did he sue because he used to be able to look at the lights without penalty?

Changing a match rule isn’t the same as a “denying someone a fair opportunity”…

31 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Don't know about that but next time I get a speeding ticket in Illinois I'm gonna sue via the national equity law cause I can go 75 in Kansas & Missouri but its posted 70 on the same interstate in Illinois.

It just ain't equitable!

HarmoniousBlankCod-size_restricted.gif

• Haha 2

I apologize for pointing out a difficultly that could arise if the rule is implemented. I think things like this would arise irregardless of which sport it is

Never mind that everyone says they’re okay with or against something.. until it’s their kid, or their situation. 

Since people are being deliberately obtuse or making false equivalencies. I’ll let it rest.

Besides, I think that the possibility that the NCAA is blown up, and it all becomes club and/or freestyle is a distinct possibility anyway.

I don’t really see the point of this proposal other than eliminating Olympic and Medical redshirts, and presumably also more than one grayshirt year after enrollment.  If you want to do that, just keep the current redshirt process and make a hard 5 in a 4 rule or whatever.

Letting people compete for the entire season but not the postseason seems weird to me, and IMO would further deemphasize duals.  What I kinda envision happening is guys wrestling their first 4 years, but then becoming a player coach or something while wrestling in the regular season but not the postseason.  Can’t wait for the team ranking discussions…”well Penn State beat Iowa in the dual but David Taylor Jr isn’t eligible to compete at NCAA’s”

14 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I don’t really see the point of this proposal other than eliminating Olympic and Medical redshirts, and presumably also more than one grayshirt year after enrollment.  If you want to do that, just keep the current redshirt process and make a hard 5 in a 4 rule or whatever.

Letting people compete for the entire season but not the postseason seems weird to me, and IMO would further deemphasize duals.  What I kinda envision happening is guys wrestling their first 4 years, but then becoming a player coach or something while wrestling in the regular season but not the postseason.  Can’t wait for the team ranking discussions…”well Penn State beat Iowa in the dual but David Taylor Jr isn’t eligible to compete at NCAA’s”

Why would an athlete stay in college just to wrestle in dual meets though? I think this would be a huge outlier and would not happen very frequently. To circumvent this, the rule would just be stated in such a way that once you have competed in 4 postseasons you are done. Problem solved.

28 minutes ago, Gus said:

Why would an athlete stay in college just to wrestle in dual meets though? I think this would be a huge outlier and would not happen very frequently. To circumvent this, the rule would just be stated in such a way that once you have competed in 4 postseasons you are done. Problem solved.

Fair enough.  I guess it would at least help the forfeit issue.