Your best wrestling story

Threadkilla

13 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

I thought we are posting best, not worst wrestling stories.

Yeah, 1...not a great thing, but it suddenly feels like a nice little treat compared to a shit swirly.

Also, I can't get the image of 4 Doctors standing around an X-ray reading, "huh...I can't believe that...Snails can sleep for up to 3 years? Well, lets go pull this thing outta this kid and...do NOT break the glass!"

But seriously, that is genuinely horrible. 

Geezus...our hazing was like...carry the bags and mundane things. That is brutal.

• Fire 1

41 minutes ago, 11986 said:

does anybody have access to, or directly have any Rick Sanders stories? I remember there being some good ones on the old forums. 

There are several podcasts That I have seen by Wrestling saved my life and Kyle Klingman etc. that have  of his former teammates Gable, Don Behm etc. with some great Sanders stories.  Gable recounted that he saw Sanders the morning of the day he was killed after being picked up hitchhiking, pretty interesting.  

• Fire 1

53 minutes ago, 11986 said:

does anybody have access to, or directly have any Rick Sanders stories? I remember there being some good ones on the old forums. 

Somebody posted it on the old forum. I don't remember who or where but the story was Rich was at a training camp or something for the world team. Might've even been worlds. Anyway one of the coaches comes around and finds Rich in his hotel with 2 girls and yells at him saying "Hey get those girls out of here!" So about an hour later that coach goes to check on Rich again and found him with 2 different girls and he says "Hey you told me to get them out of here". Don't remember the resolution on that. 

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 11986 said:

There are a few Sanders stories in this link:  https://henryehooper.blog/witness-post-rick-sanders/

Here are a couple.

Morris Johnson’s favorite Rick Sanders story came from his college coach, Buck Deadrich. Apparently Sanders was wrestling in the finals of the AAU nationals, which were being held in Oklahoma. Deadrich said that back then, Oklahoma was “the last and tightest notch in the bible belt” and people who looked like Sanders with their long hair, shaggy beard, peace buttons on his jacket, etc, were not “fully appreciated” in the Sooner State. Rick Sander’s opponent in the finals match was Gene Davis, who was both an OK State alumnus, as well as a clean-cut member of Athletes-in-Action’s Campus Crusade for Christ wrestling club. From the raucous crowd reaction, Davis was clearly coming in to the finals as the fan favorite.

When it was time for their match, Davis walked out into the spot-light, and the PA announcer said something to the effect of “Now competing in the 136 lb final, wrestling for the Lord … Mr. Gene Davis!” The crowd cheered long and loudly. As the noise died down a bit, but before the PA announcer could say anything else, Sanders ran out onto the mat, slid onto his knees in the spotlight and shouted “…AND WRESTLING FOR THE DEVIL … RICK SANDERS!” Buck Deadrich said there was a slight, stunned pause, before the crowd rained booo’s down on Sanders. Not wasting time, Sanders promptly took down Davis and pinned him in the 1st period!

Another.

Another Keith Lowrance story recalls Sander’s legendary weight cutting practices. “At the trials for the Pan American team in Minnesota a couple of us were running when we came across Sanders. He was hiding something in the bushes. I asked him what he was doing and he said, ‘Keith, you always need a plan for weight cutting.’ He went on to say that he was driving around his running route hiding cans of beer every 2 miles. He said that those beers could keep him going for 10 to 12 miles, and at that distance he could lose the 10 plus pounds he needed to make weight the next day. Sanders jumped in his car and went to his next hiding spot.”

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

I was in deep on a shot, opponent literally grabbed a handful of my singlet and yanked upwards.  My singlet exploded, giving the crowd quite the show as I was wearing a jock strap.  The sudden breeze and abrupt jostling of my singlet made me pause.  Ended up getting taken down, losing the match 3-5.

I stood up and heard the crowd oooh, aaahh, and start whistling.  I realized what happened, then just sat down until a coach threw me a jacket.  I wrapped it around myself, then scrambled to change into a teammates singlet in the back hallway.  

Video does exist, but it is probably NSFW....

Edited by Warm Up Champ
  • Fire 1
  • Haha 1

We had a kid who couldn't make HWT because he was too big.  The boy was just shy of three biscuits.  One practice coach tells him instead of joining us in practice, he wanted the kid to go upstairs in the large gym and just run and don't stop until two hours are done and then we'll see how much weight he lost.  

We all resumed our practice.  Big Tony comes down and tries to avoid weighing in.  Coach insists on it and he is a couple lbs heavier than when he started.  Instead of running he spent the two hours by the vending machine.  

• Fire 1

16 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

We had a kid who couldn't make HWT because he was too big.  The boy was just shy of three biscuits.  One practice coach tells him instead of joining us in practice, he wanted the kid to go upstairs in the large gym and just run and don't stop until two hours are done and then we'll see how much weight he lost.  

We all resumed our practice.  Big Tony comes down and tries to avoid weighing in.  Coach insists on it and he is a couple lbs heavier than when he started.  Instead of running he spent the two hours by the vending machine.  

Similar we were putting together a kids club grade school dual team for a sort of state level tourney.  Picked kids for all the weight such that no one having to cut any weight.  Exception was heavy weight, only had one kid and he was over by think ~6lb.  We had ~1.5 weeks, told him what to eat.  Mid week of tourney checked his weight, was getting close, told him what to eat before we'd check at practice the next night.  He comes back 2lbs heavier, ask him why what happened, said his mom gave him a Snickers bar.

There's a reason some kids are in the HWT category.   

Edited by ionel
  • Fire 1
  • Haha 1

Twin brothers on our high school team were Italian kids from South Philly that had never wrestled before.  For some reason they didn't like to wear our team warmups over the singlet and both brothers wore matching black leather jackets over their singlet on the way to and from matches 

• Fire 2

5 hours ago, Warm Up Champ said:

There are a few Sanders stories in this link:  https://henryehooper.blog/witness-post-rick-sanders/

Here are a couple.

Morris Johnson’s favorite Rick Sanders story came from his college coach, Buck Deadrich. Apparently Sanders was wrestling in the finals of the AAU nationals, which were being held in Oklahoma. Deadrich said that back then, Oklahoma was “the last and tightest notch in the bible belt” and people who looked like Sanders with their long hair, shaggy beard, peace buttons on his jacket, etc, were not “fully appreciated” in the Sooner State. Rick Sander’s opponent in the finals match was Gene Davis, who was both an OK State alumnus, as well as a clean-cut member of Athletes-in-Action’s Campus Crusade for Christ wrestling club. From the raucous crowd reaction, Davis was clearly coming in to the finals as the fan favorite.

When it was time for their match, Davis walked out into the spot-light, and the PA announcer said something to the effect of “Now competing in the 136 lb final, wrestling for the Lord … Mr. Gene Davis!” The crowd cheered long and loudly. As the noise died down a bit, but before the PA announcer could say anything else, Sanders ran out onto the mat, slid onto his knees in the spotlight and shouted “…AND WRESTLING FOR THE DEVIL … RICK SANDERS!” Buck Deadrich said there was a slight, stunned pause, before the crowd rained booo’s down on Sanders. Not wasting time, Sanders promptly took down Davis and pinned him in the 1st period!

Another.

Another Keith Lowrance story recalls Sander’s legendary weight cutting practices. “At the trials for the Pan American team in Minnesota a couple of us were running when we came across Sanders. He was hiding something in the bushes. I asked him what he was doing and he said, ‘Keith, you always need a plan for weight cutting.’ He went on to say that he was driving around his running route hiding cans of beer every 2 miles. He said that those beers could keep him going for 10 to 12 miles, and at that distance he could lose the 10 plus pounds he needed to make weight the next day. Sanders jumped in his car and went to his next hiding spot.”

Thanks these were two of the ones I was thinking of. 

Okay last one for today and thanks for humoring me so far -

We are facing a local rival and a teammate of mine (our 145 lber) forgot his wrestling shoes for the dual.  Luckily we are the same size shoe, I was the 125 lber, and we were starting the dual at 145, which gave us enough time to switch up.  

Unfortunately, what I had not foreseen, was that this particular teammate, who had wrestled since he was a kid, was about to complete his last ever match. 

He was a hot tempered kid - down a point in the third period, and could not get off bottom.  Got ridden like a pony and the coach let him have it and yelled at him "you gave up" - the kid says "f*ck you - I quit" and storms out of the gym".  

Problem was, he was still wearing my shoes.  I ran out of the gym to half give him consolation, but mostly to get my shoes back (these were Adidas Mat Wizards in white black and gold).  

Got them back and then won via spladle 🙂

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Okay last one for today and thanks for humoring me so far -

We are facing a local rival and a teammate of mine (our 145 lber) forgot his wrestling shoes for the dual.  Luckily we are the same size shoe, I was the 125 lber, and we were starting the dual at 145, which gave us enough time to switch up.  

Unfortunately, what I had not foreseen, was that this particular teammate, who had wrestled since he was a kid, was about to complete his last ever match. 

He was a hot tempered kid - down a point in the third period, and could not get off bottom.  Got ridden like a pony and the coach let him have it and yelled at him "you gave up" - the kid says "f*ck you - I quit" and storms out of the gym".  

Problem was, he was still wearing my shoes.  I ran out of the gym to half give him consolation, but mostly to get my shoes back (these were Adidas Mat Wizards in white black and gold).  

Got them back and then won via spladle 🙂

Do you need wrestling shoes to spladle.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Two stories from my junior year of HS:

The 2 biggest weights then were 215 and 250.  Our previous year 250 pounder was an incredible athlete.  In fact he went to PSU for football and after was the first pick in the second round of the NFL draft.  A new kid went out for wrestling who was about 5' 7" and 245 lbs and had great balance.  Anyway, the new kid beat out the incumbent in wrestleoffs, so our previous 250 sucked about 10-15 lbs to make 215.  He was kind of a strange bird anyway but he started showing up in the locker room with this little buddha statue that he prayed to.  Before every match he prayed to this thing.  Whether it was a lower weight or the buddha, I don't know, but he started the year like 10-0.  Then we had a match against Ithaca HS and he got stuck by some short, fat kid.  After the match, he went in the locker room, threw the buddha against the wall and smashed it.  Our 127 pounder, who wasn't afraid of anybody or anything, hollered across the locker room that the Penn State football coach called and wanted him to quit wrestling because he didn't want the little fat kid from Ithaca to hurt him.  It wasn't easy keeping them apart.  He did quit wrestling.  Amazing to me, he never did much in the NFL because he was "too small" for LB.

We had home and away matches with a smaller school about 100 miles away in Upstate NY.  I'm not sure what time we left for the away match, but it was snowing and it wasn't our usual bus driver.  I don't think the driver took us over any hardtop roads the whole way there and I think it was about 8pm when we finally got there.  The gym was tiny but they had a good team and the place was rockin'.  After I wrestled, I got talking with this cute cheerleader who was only about 5 feet from the end chair I was on.  After the match, I ran into her again in the lobby and we talked.  After a few minutes, I thought I should get heading for the bus.  I walked outside just in time to see the bus taking off.  I started sprinting in the snow and banged on the bus.  It stopped, I got on, and our coach gave me a real dirty look.  Hey, a feller's gotta have priorities.  If I'd walked out of that school 30 seconds later, I may still be there.

• Fire 4

• 2 weeks later...

This is a legendary PIAA wrestling story that may or may not have happened in the late 90's at the Manheim Holiday Tournament.  There was a young man from District 3.  He was truly a physical specimen and built up quite the reputation in Pennsylvania.  For whatever reason while in the locker room he began motor mouthing away about how he was going to "take it to" a very nice young gentleman from District 11.  Now this D11 kid many will tell you was quite the special wrestler.  Any who.  As our District 3 kid keeps motor mouthing to anyone that would listen little did he know our D11 phenom walked in.  The locker room went silent.  The D11 wrestler calmly said, "I'm going to send you out in a stretcher" and just walked out.  And wouldn't you know it.  He made good on his promise.  I'm assuming @Husker_Du and @flyingcement are familiar with who the wrestlers are. 

• Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

1 hour ago, PortaJohn said:

This is a legendary PIAA wrestling story that may or may not have happened in the late 90's at the Manheim Holiday Tournament.  There was a young man from District 3.  He was truly a physical specimen and built up quite the reputation in Pennsylvania.  For whatever reason while in the locker room he began motor mouthing away about how he was going to "take it to" a very nice young gentleman from District 11.  Now this D11 kid many will tell you was quite the special wrestler.  Any who.  As our District 3 kid keeps motor mouthing to anyone that would listen little did he know our D11 phenom walked in.  The locker room went silent.  The D11 wrestler calmly said, "I'm going to send you out in a stretcher" and just walked out.  And wouldn't you know it.  He made good on his promise.  I'm assuming @Husker_Du and @flyingcement are familiar with who the wrestlers are. 

They ended up wrestling again in the state finals.    Trenge vs Sauve.  Has Willies censorship scared ya?   It's not like he crapped in someones hat and put it back in the dudes locker or something.  

39 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

They ended up wrestling again in the state finals.    Trenge vs Sauve.  Has Willies censorship scared ya?   It's not like he crapped in someones hat and put it back in the dudes locker or something.  

Not at all my friend.  

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted