Props to Cornell

School brings it.  Multiple guys in Final X.  Now two guys on U23 world team.  

Is pretty much expected to be top 10 at NCAAs every year and often gets top 5.  Multiple AAs every year.  Shows they help guys transition to Olympic styles.

Grey and his new coaching staff, and the leaders on the team, have done well in the transition away from Koll.

I’m a biased fan.  I admit.  But trying to be objective I’m still damn impressed.

• Fire 6

Doing what they do is impressive for anyone period. But throw in the tall barriers of entry being an Ivy League program (and RTC) takes it to a whole ’nother level. Koll started something great and Grey is continuing that tradition. Big kudos to Big Red.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

1 minute ago, AgaveMaria said:

Big question is WHY isn't Stanford wrestling on this level?

I KNOW I MEAN CRIMINY C'MON it's been 36 months since the program was cut out of nowhere AND Koll has been on campus 24 months. Why aren't we seeing any long-term dividends yet???

i am an idiot on the internet

Cornell recruits top talent and proves they can develop it.  Expect to see 3 guys on the World team.  I thought there'd be a dropoff when Koll left but if there's been one, it has been pretty minor.  Props to Grey.

But yes, Stanford may now be their top competitor for more academically inclined wrestlers.  Per Flo, the #2 recruiting class for 2024, with PSU at 1 and Iowa at 3.

1 hour ago, BAC said:

Cornell recruits top talent and proves they can develop it.  Expect to see 3 guys on the World team.  I thought there'd be a dropoff when Koll left but if there's been one, it has been pretty minor.  Props to Grey.

But yes, Stanford may now be their top competitor for more academically inclined wrestlers.  Per Flo, the #2 recruiting class for 2024, with PSU at 1 and Iowa at 3.

Stanford has been stealing Cornell commits, too.  I'm waiting to see what happens when all of the Koll guys are gone, but they look to have a good start with Shapiro.

3 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Stanford has been stealing Cornell commits, too.  I'm waiting to see what happens when all of the Koll guys are gone, but they look to have a good start with Shapiro.

In the class of 2023, along with Shapiro, they have #27 Ruiz (170), #54 Milani (120), and #63 Dellagatta (195).  Stanford has #s 28, 49, 56, and 60.

The fact that Shapiro, the bluest blue chip of the class, is still committed to Cornell speaks volumes.

2 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

In the class of 2023, along with Shapiro, they have #27 Ruiz (170), #54 Milani (120), and #63 Dellagatta (195).  Stanford has #s 28, 49, 56, and 60.

The fact that Shapiro, the bluest blue chip of the class, is still committed to Cornell speaks volumes.

Did I post something that was untrue?

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

It will be interesting to see if Foca has something to say about one of those 2...

He’s been in college since 2020; you think he’s going make a big enough jump to overcome the current gap and reverse the absolute throttling Starocci put on him this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, Le duke said:

He’s been in college since 2020; you think he’s going make a big enough jump to overcome the current gap and reverse the absolute throttling Starocci put on him this year?

I didn't say he would (or even could) do it:  I said it would be interesting if all that stood between Starocci and being a 4xer was a Cornell guy.

(Foca made a serious jump this year, obviously)

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

Never know.  Guys make level jumps seemingly out of nowhere.  Look at Vito, I didn’t see him completely dominating RBY the way he did.

Never know.  Guys make level jumps seemingly out of nowhere.  Look at Vito, I didn’t see him completely dominating RBY the way he did.

An ankle injury for RBY might’ve helped with that one.

On 6/9/2023 at 10:36 AM, AgaveMaria said:

Cornell Recruiting Slogan: Home of the 4 timers!

No other school has two 4x NCAA champions.

Just throwing this out there, and I have no knowledge if the room, but from the outside looking in I’m going to say it was never Koll doing the actual technical coaching and game planning.  I think he may have said as much when he was leaving to go to Stanford.  

The combination of Hahn and Mike Grey where in there for decades, that’s easily the two best wrestling minds New Jersey has produced in decades, plus Dake and gabe dean being around, Koll had to manage the administration and donors side of things, which is extremely difficult and it looks like he excels at it.  But out of that group, I’m never going to guess that he’s in the top three wrestling minds.  Stanford hired him because he is a safe, pedigreed candidate who is probably the most polished coach the ncaa has to offer from the institution’s point of view.  The only other coach in that realm who clearly knows how to handle university relations is Chris Ayres, and he sure looks like a lifer at Princeton.

Also, Stanford has never been that strong.  They have good kids, but, like Harvard and Princeton, the bar is too high to generate real critical mass in recruiting. I mean, look at what academics did to the Yale team… =D

• Fire 2

8 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

Just throwing this out there, and I have no knowledge if the room, but from the outside looking in I’m going to say it was never Koll doing the actual technical coaching and game planning.  I think he may have said as much when he was leaving to go to Stanford.  

At the South Beach duals a few years back, Koll was asked in an interview what's it like to coach Yianni. He responded that Yianni was the easiest kid to coach - he hands him over to Mike Grey for coaching, and doesn't have to worry anymore about it. So yeah, Koll delegates to his assistants.