Why do Americans struggle in Greco?

Just now, gimpeltf said:

No, completely disagree other than it would help if we had big donors. I'm in the present and it's the way it is because we DON'T have those donors and aren't likely to.

who do you think fund the RTCs?

One thing that doesn't get talked about as much is how sporadic Greco results can be. Folkstyle and Freestyle results seem to be more consistent through the years. Greco results will see guys in the finals not even come close the next year or a guy who hasn't placed in five years all of a sudden get a world championship. There always seems to be 5+ returning world medalists in each weight every year.

How do we turn Greco around into something we get a couple medals and a couple more in the hunt for a medal every year? 

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, BobDole said:

One thing that doesn't get talked about as much is how sporadic Greco results can be. Folkstyle and Freestyle results seem to be more consistent through the years. Greco results will see guys in the finals not even come close the next year or a guy who hasn't placed in five years all of a sudden get a world championship. There always seems to be 5+ returning world medalists in each weight every year.

How do we turn Greco around into something we get a couple medals and a couple more in the hunt for a medal every year? 

the very nature of greco can be somewhat arbitrary domestically and internationally...

add in how american politics make it where no other country particularly cares for us and it is very easy procedurally to not help an american...

especially in the most popular style...

that is the sad reality...

6 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

We don't have them for Greco- do we? Wasn't it obvious that's what we were talking about?\

one of us is not following this conversation very well...

i am not sure who it is...

5 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I agree since this whole topic is about greco.

i just can't right now...

i just got another world teamer in my family about 5 minutes ago...

i'm gonna let you have the internet battle...

• Fire 2

53 minutes ago, LJB said:

i just can't right now...

i just got another world teamer in my family about 5 minutes ago...

i'm gonna let you have the internet battle...

Now we see where priorities lie… inexcusable. Congrats though.

20 minutes ago, DJT said:

Now we see where priorities lie… inexcusable. Congrats though.

gonna edit because i'm probably being silly... 

#gratitude...

thank you, brother!!!

Edited by LJB

11 minutes ago, LJB said:

i'm not sure exactly your point...

but...

i am going to focus on gratitude right now...

^It’s inexcusable for you to choose focusing on your son making the world team over fighting with anonymous posters on a wrestling message board. We now know our worth to you. 🙄

But, seriously, that’s really cool, and a sincere congratulations to your family. 

5 minutes ago, DJT said:

^It’s inexcusable for you to choose focusing on your son making the world team over fighting with anonymous posters on a wrestling message board. We now know our worth to you. 🙄

But, seriously, that’s really cool, and a sincere congratulations to your family. 

yeah...

i edited because i am still salty over my younger kid getting totally screwed by incompetent USA refs (again) and i might have taken it wrong...

clearly i did...

so...

i reevaluated...

gratitude...

• Fire 1

47 minutes ago, LJB said:

yeah...

i edited because i am still salty over my younger kid getting totally screwed by incompetent USA refs (again) and i might have taken it wrong...

clearly i did...

so...

i reevaluated...

gratitude...

Another thing that every wrestling parent here shares. 

• Fire 1

On a happy Greco front, last year a kid named Mikey Altomer from upstate NY lost in the 2 of 3 of U17 to miss making the Cadet World Team.  Last month, he won the U20 Open at 82k to again make the 2 of 3.  So today all he had to do was hang around all day and wrestle for the berth at 4 pm.

That isn’t how he rolls however.  Instead, he entered the U23 tournament being run in the morning. Not only that, but he entered it at 87k.  Remember, he had to make 82k this am so he was potentially giving up 10+ lbs.  

He cruised through the morning session without giving up a point to make that 2 of 3.  If the afternoon, he went 4-0 and made two world teams within 30 minutes of each other!

Great day for him and his family!

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Good.  Now teach the rest of them!

i quit reffing out of state because i was disgusted at how these refs talk about our athletes and coaches behind closed doors...

they want to be a part of the show when all they should be is a vessel to get our best to the next level...

had to take off the whistle first local this year on principle alone...

stopped into the local greco state tourney a week ago and got props from a local ref because me standing up made a difference...

there are levels to this game that most "fans" have no conception of...

but we all play our part, yes?

38 minutes ago, LJB said:

i quit reffing out of state because i was disgusted at how these refs talk about our athletes and coaches behind closed doors...

they want to be a part of the show when all they should be is a vessel to get our best to the next level...

had to take off the whistle first local this year on principle alone...

stopped into the local greco state tourney a week ago and got props from a local ref because me standing up made a difference...

there are levels to this game that most "fans" have no conception of...

but we all play our part, yes?

52 minutes ago, LJB said:

next salty anonymous internet nobody...

Sounds like you are a former ref.

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Sounds like you are a former ref.

oh stop...

do something in your life...

ever...

or just be the anonymous poo bag on the googlewebs...

its entirely up to you...

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mike Parrish said:

Another thing that every wrestling parent here shares. 

The worst part of coaching was watching kids get screwed over and just having to sit there and take it, knowing we’d see the ref the rest of the day, next week, at regionals, at states, etc, and knowing it would only come back to bite my wrestlers in the ass when it was more important. I had a parent flip out on me because his kid got royally screwed, and I didn’t argue with the ref as much as he’d like me to… once I put it that way to him, he calmed down in the stands, too. I’d only really get after refs when they were so bad they put wrestlers in physical danger… then I’d throw stuff.

• Fire 2