Guys back from injury and redshirt

flyingcement

On 5/20/2023 at 1:39 PM, MPhillips said:

165 - Hepner/Paddy - I believe this is Hepner's (RSSO) spot. Had wins over Kharchla (wrestle off) and Amine (I know, I know coming off an injury) last season.  Had some nice wins season before; Mayora, Lamar, Chumbley, Slivka. I like Hepner and I think he surprises a bunch of folks. R12

Any idea on if Hepner beats Paddy? They went to high school together, so I'm guessing there's a lot of familiarity. 

1 hour ago, pokemonster said:

Any idea on if Hepner beats Paddy? They went to high school together, so I'm guessing there's a lot of familiarity. 

I'd be surprised if Hepner doesn't beat Paddy.  If Sasso comes up, Paddy is gonna struggle to find the line up.

1 hour ago, MPhillips said:

I'd be surprised if Hepner doesn't beat Paddy.  If Sasso comes up, Paddy is gonna struggle to find the line up.

Not if Kharchla is hurt or HEW.  He'll slide right in and compete with WIlcox for 174, yeah?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

On 5/18/2023 at 7:50 AM, Antitroll2828 said:

Navy has some good guys coming off redshirt , Danny Wask is the big one he ll be 157 I think , they also have Evan Tallamadge a NJ state champ whose cousins with the Santielllos and I thought they had also had a heavyweight recruit too but I can’t remember who or find anything on it 

Jon Ley, 2x Super 32 top 4, as well. I imagine they'll want both he and Wask in the lineup. One at 157 and one at 165.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, MPhillips said:

Paddy?

I would imagine.  IF Sasso is 157, Hepner solidifies himself as the 165 starter, and Welsh still redshirts.  That puts it Paddy and Wilcox wrestling 174 for tOSU, yeah?

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

I would imagine.  IF Sasso is 157, Hepner solidifies himself as the 165 starter, and Welsh still redshirts.  That puts it Paddy and Wilcox wrestling 174 for tOSU, yeah?

I'd be surprised if Paddy wrestles 174. Kharch unless the wheels fall off.

47 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

No.

This what I say, Paddy struggled to compete at 157. I can't see him competing at 174. 

Oh, I hear what you are saying.  We have seen some gents succeed when going up two (2) weights - Realbuto and Kemerer come to mind.  I am hoping for the best with Paddy.  I hate seeing gents stay stagnant due to focusing on too much weight management and not enough on development.

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Oh, I hear what you are saying.  We have seen some gents succeed when going up two (2) weights - Realbuto and Kemerer come to mind.  I am hoping for the best with Paddy.  I hate seeing gents stay stagnant due to focusing on too much weight management and not enough on development.

Hidlay as well. However all 3 (Realbuto, Kem and Hidlay) had a lot more success at 157 before moving up than Paddy has had.

1 minute ago, Gus said:

Hidlay as well. However all 3 (Realbuto, Kem and Hidlay) had a lot more success at 157 before moving up than Paddy has had.

True.

Another gent was Jordan Kutler.

On 6/12/2023 at 6:39 AM, lu1979 said:

All of the military academies have prep schools they often send incoming freshman to for a year.   For the Naval academy it is NAPS located in Newport RI.  I think they send a lot of incoming kids there to see if the military life is a good fit for them - it seems a lot of athletes go that route.  Once you start at the academy you are right it is usually 4 and done.  On the good note for the recruits I believe the clock starts for their service as soon as the enter the prep school.

Wow...I did not know that. I know guys who Wrestled for Navy, but I didn't know that they had a preparatory schools school that feeds into it that they could Wrestle at.

So I take it they can't compete while at that school, but they DO have the option to go there first and practice before jumping right in?

I respect anyone who's willing to step onto the Mat...but that respect is multiplied when you do it at West Point, Annapolis, Air Force...

I remember hearing the schedule at Annapolis and it was like 18 credits a semester, these ridiculous Math classes. Basically you're schedule is pretty well set for ~15 hours a day and then you get to sleep and a TINY bit of free time.

I'm also just going off memory and I don't know if that's EXACTLY how it works, but it doesn't leave much time for literally anything else. The person I know said it was actually tough because they didn't even have enough time to get in extra workouts.

Andre Carter, an OLBer/DE from West Point was projected to go in the 1st round at one point...but fell all the way out of the draft because he simply lacked the strength and technique. The thought is that if he can spend all his time on the game, he'll put on weight, he'll improve his technique and could be a stud. Sadly, he went to the Vikings, so...we probably won't hear much from him in the NFL....

On 6/12/2023 at 9:37 AM, Le duke said:

USAFA has the prep school, located on the south side of the USAFA campus. One of my employees used to be the superintendent there. Don’t know what kind of obligation kids have when they go there or if they owe years if they decide to leave. But, effectively a RS, all the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought for all the service academies, they had...something like "decision day." And that was basically if you showed up the first day your Jr year, you were in. You had to finish school and a 6 year commitment(that may vary depending on what you go into).

It is my understanding that all commitments are for six years.  It can be three or four active and the rest inactive, but every citizen can be called on for six years of their life if need be. 

It appears that the prep school wrestlers attend tournaments, much in the fashion of red shirts at other universities. 

Edited by Offthemat

It is my understanding that all commitments are for six years.  It can be three or four active and the rest inactive, but every citizen can be called on for six years of their life if need be. 

It appears that the prep school wrestlers attend tournaments, much in the fashion of red shirts at other universities. 

It’s 8 years. You owe a minimum of 5 years active duty, then 3 years in either the Reserve, or inactive ready reserve. You can do all 8 active, too, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk