Can OU wrestling really block new recruits

H82Lose

35 minutes ago, H82Lose said:

Can OU really block these Lou recruits from de-committing from OU? Minnow is reporting this right now. 

Force a kid to go to a university he no longer wants to go to? That doesn't make sense, especially after a coaching change

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, gimpeltf said:

Commits or signed? I don't see how they could stop verbals.

Hard to say with Mineo.  Usually it's wrong, but maybe part of it was based on a partial truth at one point in time.  

Edited by flyingcement
  • Fire 1

5 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Hard to say with Mineo.  Usually it's wrong, but maybe part of it was based on a partial truth at one point in time.  

Might just be how he defines committed. He might mean Letter of Intent.

5 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Was just going to post this.  Interestingly this was Woodley’s first twitter post since November 2022

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

Was just going to post this.  Interestingly this was Woodley’s first twitter post since November 2022

That cunt (Leonard) is the reason Woodley wasn't able to wrestle last year at Michigan.

• Stalling 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Historically, a signed national letter of intent is contract in the eyes of the NCAA.  Normally, a release requires the AD's signature.  The NCAA can block competition for the next season and it will cost you a year of eligibility that can't be taken as a red shirt year.

A NLI recruit may well have an opportunity to opt out under recent rule changes.  The NCAA affords a 30 day window for portal transfers if a coach is fired or leaves for another job.  That rule applies to current student athletes, I don't see why it shouldn't apply to recruits that aren't even enrolled.  If a recruit is blocked, it would be prudent to petition the NCAA to a rule apply the 30 day transfer rule.

Any registered student athlete can apply into the transfer portal.  For wrestling, the last day is May 7.  An unregistered recruit for 23/24 would not have access to the portal.

My guess is that OU is throwing out a road block to delay any action for the recruit in order to give Kish time to talk them into staying.  If after that the kid still wants out, they'll release him. No one wants an athlete that doesn't want to be there. The downside for the athlete is that schools have made their offers and have tentatively allocated their full scholarship value and have $0 of few $$$$ to offer at this point.  Schools have until June 30 to reallocate their scholarship offers to existing student athletes so a really shred coach could cut next year's funding to current teammates (typically non-starters) in order to create money to make available for a late recruit.

• Fire 1

The end around would be to not enroll ... take a grey shirt year at an RTC then go to the school of your choice. Not the best plan if you were not planning on doing that, however it may be the only course of action rather than to be forced to wrestle and use your redshirt. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

28 minutes ago, Gus said:

I believe that the wrestlers will be release if Bono signs off on it.

From what it looks like this is what actually happened to Burwick, despite the turdbiscuit Bono getting all the (dis)credit for it.

Jason Leonard blocked Burwick from transferring.  What a dick.

Holy shit.

And this is for wrestling.  Imagine how much of a cunt this guy is for revenue sports.

He denied me my Woodley.

• Stalling 1

9 hours ago, RYou said:

Historically, a signed national letter of intent is contract in the eyes of the NCAA.  Normally, a release requires the AD's signature.  The NCAA can block competition for the next season and it will cost you a year of eligibility that can't be taken as a red shirt year.

A NLI recruit may well have an opportunity to opt out under recent rule changes.  The NCAA affords a 30 day window for portal transfers if a coach is fired or leaves for another job.  That rule applies to current student athletes, I don't see why it shouldn't apply to recruits that aren't even enrolled.  If a recruit is blocked, it would be prudent to petition the NCAA to a rule apply the 30 day transfer rule.

Any registered student athlete can apply into the transfer portal.  For wrestling, the last day is May 7.  An unregistered recruit for 23/24 would not have access to the portal.

My guess is that OU is throwing out a road block to delay any action for the recruit in order to give Kish time to talk them into staying.  If after that the kid still wants out, they'll release him. No one wants an athlete that doesn't want to be there. The downside for the athlete is that schools have made their offers and have tentatively allocated their full scholarship value and have $0 of few $$$$ to offer at this point.  Schools have until June 30 to reallocate their scholarship offers to existing student athletes so a really shred coach could cut next year's funding to current teammates (typically non-starters) in order to create money to make available for a late recruit.

I believe it's because the NCAA has academic eligibility and residency requirements to transfer. NLIs bind the athlete with the school, not the coaches, so the institution would need to sign a release. See Metcalf and Va Tech. I know the rule was proposed for changes but I don't know where it landed.

A wrestler could simply not show up and go to the school or RTC he wants (or nowhere at all) as @Idaho suggests, but grayshirting wouldn't matter because his eligibility clock would have started anyway. So, a year lost. 

If you go back and look Mark Cody had most his success when he 1st got there. Then Leonard arrived and the program has been going down. Lou finally started to get good kids and Leonard cans him and takes almost a month to replace him. Yet NDSU who didn't fire their coach was able to replace in 2 days. Joe C needs to connect the dots, read the tea leaves, just do his job and get a leader in that position. Looks really bad on Joe C with his non action IMO.

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, SoonerKing said:

If you go back and look Mark Cody had most his success when he 1st got there. Then Leonard arrived and the program has been going down. Lou finally started to get good kids and Leonard cans him and takes almost a month to replace him. Yet NDSU who didn't fire their coach was able to replace in 2 days. Joe C needs to connect the dots, read the tea leaves, just do his job and get a leader in that position. Looks really bad on Joe C with his non action IMO.

Leonard was actually hired in 2006, during the Jack Spates era. You are correct, though, that the decline in Oklahoma's wrestling fortunes dovetails exactly with his hiring.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, ionel said:

Don't we need to know if these athletes signed an NIL contract?  Its a new and crazy world out there, NIL contracts aren't scholarships.

NLI, as in National Letter of Intent (Scholarship), not NIL, as in Name Image Likeness (getting $100k for a few Instagram shout-outs).

29 minutes ago, DJT said:

NLI, as in National Letter of Intent (Scholarship), not NIL, as in Name Image Likeness (getting $100k for a few Instagram shout-outs).

I'm talking NIL.   Maybe these guys aren't on NIL.  Do you think Michigan is handing out $300k with no strings attached?

Edited by ionel

46 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Leonard was actually hired in 2006, during the Jack Spates era. You are correct, though, that the decline in Oklahoma's wrestling fortunes dovetails exactly with his hiring.

I don't think Leonard was hired into position he has now. I think it started after Cody hired but I'm not 100% certain. 

6 minutes ago, ionel said:

I'm talking NIL.   Maybe these guys aren't on NIL.  Do you think Michigan is handing out $300k with no strings attached?

I could be wrong but my impression was that boosters offer NIL through their personal local businesses and usually worded in such a way that a departure by the student from the university would amount to the nullification of that contract. Car dealership in Ames can't expect to benefit from marketing with an Athlete based in Ann Arbor, so they would add in some protection in the agreement for the business.  Of course the athlete is free to pursue other opportunities in his new location.  I don't think the school itself is paying these amounts