Rokfin - Will we have to pay extra now to watch any actual wrestling?

flyingcement

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Honestly, if my interest is in a specific tournament and it is behind a PPV wall as well, then I am going to pay.  It makes sense.

Same here. Like I mentioned. Wrestling people will pay. "Joe PSU" or "Joe ASU" may not. Journeyman is a one click buy if you're a Rokfin subscriber.

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Honestly, if my interest is in a specific tournament and it is behind a PPV wall as well, then I am going to pay.  It makes sense.

Sure.

A small number of people will pay for the PPV for each tournament.

I would argue this is a worse outcome and business model than having everybody pay a bit more and having all tournaments available to everyone.

• Fire 4

1 minute ago, Mike Parrish said:

Sure.

A small number of people will pay for the PPV for each tournament.

I would argue this is a worse outcome and business model than having everybody pay a bit more and having all tournaments available to everyone.

I would also be willing to pay more.

If there was a 'tier' sort of setup I definitely would.

Something like what is current with the $10 and the PPV option, but give me a $15/mo option to unlock all of it, and I am in as well.

• Fire 2

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

that may or may not be the case, Mike.

however 1) rokfin is agnostic in this (it's the event organizer that decides it) and 2) it's much better for me (who doesn't use ppv but who has more daily viewers than most)

it's a really great happy medium (and currently the best situation for the creators)

the only down side is that some consumers a skittish b/c they can't wrap their brain around $10+$15=$25 vs. $25

of course, the choice is yours in deciding whether to watch or not. 

• Fire 2

TBD

1 hour ago, flyingcement said:

I don't doubt it may seem to make sense for other aspects of the business.  But for the consumers themselves, it's an awkward way to access the content.  You could say, well the consumers should be resilient and figure it out, and that's fine and fair.  But a business approach that considers the consumer, especially for anyone who would claim to care about growing wrestling, is one that is going to win in the long run.  It strikes me a bit of pennywise and pound-foolish to optimize one's own economics at the expense of being unreasonable to consumers (who would have awarded you with greater scale and increased economics over time).  

The cornerstone of "Total Quality Management" as defined and taught by W. Edwards Deming was to meet the customer's requirements.  This has been replaced in many of today's companies (especially the "cool kids" typified here), who are concerned only with meeting their own requirements.
Customers?  We don't need no stinking customers.

I simply refuse to play the "bait and switch" game so common with the "content providers" anymore.  Clearly and concisely define the cost and the product for the dumb guys like me who are not so good at the fuzzy wuzzy stuff.  Oh yeah, and also who dislike surprises

• Fire 4

12 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

The cornerstone of "Total Quality Management" as defined and taught by W. Edwards Deming was to meet the customer's requirements.  This has been replaced in many of today's companies (especially the "cool kids" typified here), who are concerned only with meeting their own requirements.
Customers?  We don't need no stinking customers.

I simply refuse to play the "bait and switch" game so common with the "content providers" anymore.  Clearly and concisely define the cost and the product for the dumb guys like me who are not so good at the fuzzy wuzzy stuff.  Oh yeah, and also who dislike surprises

Rokfin = $100 yr. and one off PPV fees for certain events whose promoter decides to utilize that function

glad to clear that up for you.

TBD

3 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

Rokfin = $100 yr. and one off PPV fees for certain events whose promoter decides to utilize that function

glad to clear that up for you.

Very simple, huh?  I guess that's why a half dozen of the smartest people I've run into on here have discussed it for almost two pages.

I'll paraphrase your statement:  I'll sell you this cup for $100.  Then you'll have to pay someone (?) to fill the cup with what you want to drink for an an additional cost (?).  Crystal clear.

• Fire 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, flyingcement said:

low level businesses like Flo not useful for comparison in this case (FYI)

Well considering the founders are one and the same, it probably makes sense to compare them…

And for that reason, I think it had to be expected that something like this might happen.  I guess one could argue Rokfin is “better” than Flo because more of the proceeds go to the “creators,” but this model sure seems like worse value for the consumers who may end up paying more annually for Rokfin for arguably less content than Flo (depending on their interest in particular events).

But, I do need to thank Willie for not requiring a Rokfin sub for using this forum…

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Well considering the founders are one and the same, it probably makes sense to compare them…

And for that reason, I think it had to be expected that something like this might happen.  I guess one could argue Rokfin is “better” than Flo because more of the proceeds go to the “creators,” but this model sure seems like worse value for the consumers who may end up paying more annually for Rokfin for arguably less content than Flo (depending on their interest in particular events).

But, I do need to thank Willie for not requiring a Rokfin sub for using this forum…

... yet

13 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

it's a really great happy medium (and currently the best situation for the creators)

You keep saying it’s the best medium for creators. But what’s the proof?  Outside of wrestling there is nothing worthwhile on there.  A bunch of fringe content like crypto (which is imploding as we speak) and conspiracy theories.  

Where are all the creators of content with large audiences?    

• Fire 3