Session VI, Saturday PM Finals discussion

CHROMEBIRD

8 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

God made him to...beat another guy?  I don't understand this thought process from very religious folks.  I ask this earnestly, is the idea that God favors one of his children over another?

Listen to his interviews. God has given him the platform to spread his message. I think he believes that God helps him to train, stay healthy, and live right. He certainly doesn't think that God favors him over other wrestlers. I feel a bit uncomfortable listening to him, and for once Jimmy is right; Brooks should become a pastor or minister. It seems like he wants to bring people to the Lord. He's a hammer of a wrestler, that's for sure. To be honest, I'm much more upset when I see Starrocci's interviews. In the post semi-final interview, a reporter asked him about what it's like wrestling guys who keep it close. Instead of answering the question, Star took a very aggressive attitude and asked "Which of my matches here have been close?" He displays too much arrogance, as if he believes that this is necessary to be great. He will learn some humility when he wrestles Senior Men's freestyle. 

• Fire 2

Just now, Kansasdeanhwt said:

Are the coaches or wrestlers and “friends” of program doing it. 

Heard both from people I trust. Look, I know all the excuses, “loopholes” and whatnot. I can simultaneously think PSU has a good coaching staff and also does things to make sure the depth of competition isn’t as good

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Pa in Taiwan said:

Listen to his interviews. God has given him the platform to spread his message. I think he believes that God helps him to train, stay healthy, and live right. He certainly doesn't think that God favors him over other wrestlers. I feel a bit uncomfortable listening to him, and for once Jimmy is right; Brooks should become a pastor or minister. It seems like he wants to bring people to the Lord. He's a hammer of a wrestler, that's for sure. To be honest, I'm much more upset when I see Starrocci's interviews. In the post semi-final interview, a reporter asked him about what it's like wrestling guys who keep it close. Instead of answering the question, Star took a very aggressive attitude and asked "Which of my matches here have been close?" He displays too much arrogance, as if he believes that this is necessary to be great. He will learn some humility when he wrestles Senior Men's freestyle. 

Starocci's attitude might end up working for him. Athletes like MJ and Kobe were the same way. There's just this strong inner need to dominate. At any rate, Starocci's attitude has worked for him so far.

14 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

Brooks slips in a provocation to his religious remarks:  he referred to the "false prophet Mohammed".  

That certainly is cringeworthy. His brand of Christianity has no tolerance for other faiths, even other denominations (Catholicism) in Christianity. He should NEVER make public statements like that. Someone needs to talk to him, especially if he plans to wrestle Senior Men's Freestyle. 

That statement is not going to fly with open minded Christians. 

Thou shalt not judge.

• Fire 2

1 minute ago, peanut said:

Starocci's attitude might end up working for him. Athletes like MJ and Kobe were the same way. There's just this strong inner need to dominate. At any rate, Starocci's attitude has worked for him so far.

It hasn't gotten him onto a US freestyle team. Let's see how he does trying to represent the US at 74kg. 

Just now, peanut said:

Yes, self deception can become a positive psychologically in competition.   If you believe you are the best, it can motivate you.   In other walks of life and life more generally, it is usually a negative for you and especially others