Seriously, Michigan?

nhs67

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/USA/united-states/murder-homicide-rate

Murder rate in 2020 is the highest it has been since 1997 except for one year in 2001.  From 2018 to 2019 it upticked a little.  from 2019 to 2020, it upticked a lot, by 28.6%.  That is the highest rate change since 1990 where the chart stops. 

That is not an anecdote. 

mspart

4 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

I live an hour south of San Francisco.

I have suffered no crime here.

Therefore San Francisco is totally without crime, right?

SF just got rid of their prosecutor because he was not prosecuting.   Was he kicked out because there was no crime to prosecute or was he kicked out because there was crime he was not prosecuting?

I live in a Seattle Suburb, no crime affected me yet.   But that is not the case in Seattle and in the area generally.  Wanting to excuse crime is wrong.  There is an uptick in crime and it can be ignored and it will continue to climb until it is not ignored.  Unfortunately, before that happens someone will get a gun and take care of things him/herself.   Not what we want I think we can all agree. 

mspart

Murder rate in 2020 is the highest it has been since 1997 except for one year in 2001.  From 2018 to 2019 it upticked a little.  from 2019 to 2020, it upticked a lot, by 28.6%.  That is the highest rate change since 1990 where the chart stops. 
That is not an anecdote. 
mspart
The point of bringing up rising crime was to blame the president, right?
  • Fire 2

14 hours ago, mspart said:

That is not an anecdote. 

mspart

As I posted in my initial reply to you.  Yes, the homicide rate IS temporarily up, but CRIME, overall, is down, as it has been for decades (homicide rate was down for decades too).

The problem is is that Tattletale "News" and the criminals on AM radyo only drum beated crime in general, over and over again, as you continued to parrot, as you were told to do, but never specified that ONLY the homicide rate is up.  Furthermore, not all cities saw increases in their homicide rates, many of which were deliberately incorrectly conveyed to the 30 percenters.

I simply clarified that crime is NOT up, but, yes, the homicide rate is temporarily up.

Edited by Ban Basketball
  • Fire 1

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

14 hours ago, Crotalus said:

The point of bringing up rising crime was to blame the president, right?

Exactly.  Had the homicide rate rapidly plummeted a few months before midterms, not a one of the 30 percenters would have applauded it, but, rather, lamented it.

I once asked a question to a group of 30 percenters a few years back during an election season that told me all that I needed to know.  I clarified their views at that time about their illusion that crime is up, libruls support welfare, undocumenteds are flooding across, etc, etc., to which they all verified.

I then followed it up by asking if all of these imagined "problems" suddenly reversed and Democrats and libberols were in power when the reversal occurred, would you be happy with that outcome.  Sheepishly, they all answered "no," as it would mean that they would likely lose the upcoming election.

Conclusion to be drawn?  The 30 percenters aren't interested in seeing "problems" go away, but, rather, winning elections and everyone be damned.

And people wonder why I don't vote, nor aprticipate in this charade that we call a "political system?"

• Fire 1

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

3 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

Whatever happened to the scary Caravans of Immigrants or Welfare Queens?

Is it possible that people are being lead from topic to topic on an Outrage Tour?

The list is endless over the years.  

MS-13, eminent domain, smash and grab, undocumenteds voting in droves, gun grabbers, radical Imams (sp?), Antifa ( instantly dead in the water now), Ebola, Benghazi ( I used to mock them by combining,  Ebolaghazi into one), wind turbines, radical professors.

Keep adding...

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

The list is endless over the years.  

MS-13, eminent domain, smash and grab, undocumenteds voting in droves, gun grabbers, radical Imams (sp?), Antifa ( instantly dead in the water now), Ebola, Benghazi ( I used to mock them by combining,  Ebolaghazi into one), wind turbines, radical professors.

Keep adding...

It's almost as if the GOP Outrage Merchants know their customers have short attention spans.

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, Mike Parrish said:

It's almost as if the GOP Outrage Merchants know their customers have short attention spans.

Yes,  in addition to what I always say, they're devoted to keeping stupid people angry and uninformed. 

• Fire 1

https://www.bbc.com/news/57581270

According to incomplete data released by the FBI, violent crime fell by an estimated 1% in 2021 compared with the previous year. However, the number of murders increased by more than 4%.

There are questions about the reliability of the FBI's crime report as it excluded data from some of the biggest US cities, including New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco.

It's important to point out that last year, the FBI switched to a new data collection system. According to one analysis, nearly 40% of law enforcement agencies have failed to report their 2021 crime figures - so we may only have a partial picture of the most recent crime rates.

If you are counting on the FBI for your crime statistics, their info is woefully incomplete as I noted before.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/07/business/retail-theft-shoplifting-robbery/index.html

Perhaps you think shoplifting is not a crime.   As noted earlier, Target lost 400 million and expects to lose 600 million next year due to shoplifting.  Shoplifting has been increasing, not decreasing.   The question is, is it reported?  Uwajimaya in Seattle (this is a Japanese/Asian/Hawaiian grocery store), was getting shoplifted and would report it and there would be no response because the city won't prosecute shoplifting that results in under $125.   So they quit reporting it.   Does that mean the shoplifting has stopped?  No.   But that means that it goes unreported because the authorities won't do anything about it.  https://mynorthwest.com/1538741/uwajimaya-seattle-prolific-offenders/   And hence crime rates are going down.  

mspart

1 hour ago, Mike Parrish said:

All these mass shootings, not one of them committed by undocumented immigrants.

Weird.

No, they were committed by lone wolf,  psychologically disturbed folks.  

Definitely NOT part of a religion nor terrorist group. 

• Fire 1

Data from Texas signals that fewer illegal immigrants are caught committing crimes (including violence) than citizens.  Is it because these are ambitious, high-character people seeking a better life?  Possibly. 

Eliminating reported crime rates within a social circle would reduce crime rates substantially for any population group.  For immigrants living under the fear of deportation, it is natural that they do not report crimes against themselves concerning assault, domestic abuse, and theft.  Every illegal immigrant is a criminal most at risk for deportation when caught committing a non-immigration crime.

Fear peddling about illegal immigrant violent crime goes in one ear and out the other.  I trust the data that crime against citizens is not a concern.  I also trust the information that illegal immigration is a tax burden and undermines legal immigration.  I'm unsure if illegal immigrants have indirectly stolen blue-collar jobs by accepting low wages.  There definitely are cultural differences that can have a negative impact on society (like with the treatment of women); however, that is equally true with legal immigration.

debate statistics all you want. (and i'm not blaming the Biden/WH Admin about this)...

but one thing is undeniable - 

there's been a concerted effort to put DA's in position to not prosecute and allow people out on bail.

there's a story every single day about an offender that was arrested X number of times and committed another crime.

i can literally post a link every day here if you'd like.

the question is...why are they doing this? 

TBD

3M of 330M U.S. citizens (1%) die annually.  The causes of death are not limited to:

• Heart disease - 700K
  • Cancer - 600K
  • Omitted stroke, respiratory, kidney, Alzheimer's, flu, covid, diabetes, etc., from 50K to 350K each.  
  • Accidental drug overdose/poison - 85K
  • Vehicle accident - 40K
  • Homicide by firearm - 19K 
  • Abortion - 900K+ (included for visibility; this category is excluded from citizen death count)

0.5% of deaths are caused by homicide from a firearm.  The average citizen has a 0.006% chance of dying from an idiot with a gun.  Your chance of death from a public mass shooting is 0.0~% while over 80M citizens own guns and over 400M guns exist in the U.S.  WTF do people focus on a blip of priorities?  Media and stupidity. 

Leaders should focus on affordability and access to healthy foods and lifestyles. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/23/2022 at 11:27 PM, jross said:

3M of 330M U.S. citizens (1%) die annually.  The causes of death are not limited to:

• Heart disease - 700K
  • Cancer - 600K
  • Omitted stroke, respiratory, kidney, Alzheimer's, flu, covid, diabetes, etc., from 50K to 350K each.  
  • Accidental drug overdose/poison - 85K
  • Vehicle accident - 40K
  • Homicide by firearm - 19K 
  • Abortion - 900K+ (included for visibility; this category is excluded from citizen death count)

0.5% of deaths are caused by homicide from a firearm.  The average citizen has a 0.006% chance of dying from an idiot with a gun.  Your chance of death from a public mass shooting is 0.0~% while over 80M citizens own guns and over 400M guns exist in the U.S.  WTF do people focus on a blip of priorities?  Media and stupidity. 

Leaders should focus on affordability and access to healthy foods and lifestyles. 

It is barbaric and unacceptable.

• Fire 1

It is barbaric, and it's a lower priority than obesity, elective abortion, drugs, and bad driving.  

Why isn't there outrage and action to address the underlying causes of all this?  Citizens cannot meet their basic needs because they are in poverty.  They lack the skills and character to achieve well-paying jobs.  The education is inadequate, and while access to training is improving with wifi access, many do not have access and the knowledge of how to use it.  Schools are underfunded and staffed by bad teachers.  Their poverty prevents access to health care, housing, and food.  No matter how many jobs a person works, they cannot make enough to break the cycle of poverty.  Poverty begets crimes that get parents locked up.  The fathers are in jail.  The mothers work so much that they don't have time to parent.  With the limited family time they have, they don't know how to model good character and mentor with education.  It's a never-ending cycle of poverty.  

Meanwhile, the family that has $5M in savings can live off a 4% investment return ($200K) without working for the rest of their life.  They can use their time to teach good character, educate, and advance while their savings snowball.

So what does the government do about it?  Not much.  Let criminals off easy.  Let more poor illegal immigrants come to the country by the millions (increasing poverty), subsidize corporations (reducing taxes), fund studies of salmon, and endlessly and unnecessarily fund wars.

• Fire 1

Guns are a problem in specific blocks of certain cities, so could you figure out how to improve it?  First, do some proactive policing in the worst blocks.  Overstaff it.  Lock everyone up that is found with an unregistered weapon.  We should copy the Singapore policy about using unregistered guns in crime, trafficking, and possessing unregistered guns in these problem areas.  Give these city dwellers market value for all unregistered weapons over two years. 

Meanwhile, supply the government services in those terrible places.  Paint over the graffiti.  Fix the broken windows.  Patch the potholes.  Pick up the trash.  Overpay the citizens to do this work.  Enforce the curfews.  Fund the schools and overpay the educators.  Provide daycare and overpay the providers.  Provide health care and overpay the workers.  Subsidize the grocery stores to be cheaper than the fast food providers.  Ensure these services are headed by competence.  Give the citizens a basic income.  Do what it takes to break the cycle.  It only takes one-two generations to change the culture, and that is money well spent.

Guns are really a problem in a few areas.  Fix those areas.

44 minutes ago, jross said:

Guns are a problem in specific blocks of certain cities, so could you figure out how to improve it?  First, do some proactive policing in the worst blocks.  Overstaff it.  Lock everyone up that is found with an unregistered weapon.  We should copy the Singapore policy about using unregistered guns in crime, trafficking, and possessing unregistered guns in these problem areas.  Give these city dwellers market value for all unregistered weapons over two years. 

Meanwhile, supply the government services in those terrible places.  Paint over the graffiti.  Fix the broken windows.  Patch the potholes.  Pick up the trash.  Overpay the citizens to do this work.  Enforce the curfews.  Fund the schools and overpay the educators.  Provide daycare and overpay the providers.  Provide health care and overpay the workers.  Subsidize the grocery stores to be cheaper than the fast food providers.  Ensure these services are headed by competence.  Give the citizens a basic income.  Do what it takes to break the cycle.  It only takes one-two generations to change the culture, and that is money well spent.

Guns are really a problem in a few areas.  Fix those areas.

Guns are a problem everywhere.  You are wasting your time if you lock your door in  Newtown, CT.  Columbine is in a nice, leafy suburb.  Gun violence is different from all of the things you mentioned because they enable the barbarism.   They enable terrorism.  They are viciously, violently and lethally imposed on others. There is outrage over irresponsible driving.  Compared drinking and driving now to 30-40 years ago.

• Fire 2