RBY

peanut

48 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Here is what I am getting at.  Using this 2020 census data we see that 75.8% of the US is White alone.  We also see that 59.3% are White alone, not Hispanic or Latino, while 18.9% are Hispanic or Latino.

I see you quoted my post, but did you read it?   It appears not. 

mspart

6 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I have an Afro-Latina wife.  We had an enumerator try telling us that because she identifies as Hispanic that he had to mark her as White for her race

The system is bit messed up and arbitrary when it comes to true self-identification.

I understand it supports evaluation of affirmative action considerations.  During the census they establish a baseline demographic for a population.  Then the same categories are used when filling government employment opportunities to try and assure the government reflects the people.

In the last 10 to 20 years, I believe there was a concerted effort to increase identification of hispanic or latino persons, because those were thought to be erroneously disproportionately underrepresented.

Many jobs, including U.S. government ones, require some racial/ethnic identification.  A strange thing I learned is whenever one chooses not to voluntarily self-identify, then their supervisor does the identification based on what the supervisor believes.

16 minutes ago, mspart said:

I see you quoted my post, but did you read it?   It appears not. 

mspart

I read it.  I don't see how it correlates to these numbers, do you?

At any rate, you know exactly why I made my original comment.  Then you went out to the internet and back filled your narrative with BS.

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

the share of Latinos who identified their race as white in the 2020 census fell from about 53% in 2010 to about 20% in 2020; the share who identified as “other” rose from 37% to 42%, and the share identifying as two or more races jumped from 6% to 33%

The census data below could match the above

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

Using this 2020 census data we see that 75.8% of the US is White alone.  We also see that 59.3% are White alone, not Hispanic or Latino, while 18.9% are Hispanic or Latino.

"18.9%" = "about 20%"

Although not directly displayed on the census page:

The share of individuals that clicked Hispanic or Latino and selected two or more races may very well have increased from 6% to 33%.

The share of individuals that clicked Hispanic or Latino and selected "other" as race (like didn't select any race listed) may very well have increased from 37% to 42%.

I think the point of @mspart's article excerpt is more Hispanic or Latinos are interested and taking action consistent with their self-identification, which is not of the "white" race.

I think @mspart's sharing the article was pointing out that despite the term "Hispanic" implying "white," the people completing the census may not consider themselves as white.

Edited by 98lberEating2Lunches
  • Fire 1

12 hours ago, mspart said:

So I agree with you GWN partially.   I'm sure it was not white conservatives that came up with this term.   Can we agree with that?

mspart

No - not at all.

My point is that blaming the "white left" wasn't helping our country's inability to find agreement - the very same agreement that we should all be pursuing instead of blaming other sides.

Now instead of blaming "the other side" - now you've just changed it to "not our fault." Which still helps very little in pursuing agreement or common ground (which, in real life, we actually have quite a lot of.) What you're still doing is drawing a line between "us" and "them" and defending that line instead of realizing that this line is the very problem.

The difference between sides isn't nearly as big as we're being "sold" on by politicians:

• Sensible left and sensible right are not that far apart.
  • Wacko far left and sensible left are much further apart.
  • Wacko far right and sensible right are also much further apart.

The line between sensible parties isn't that big - we mostly agree most of the time.

The lines between each party's wackos and opposing sensible groups are much more noteworthy.

That's where we are being played by politicians and their BS. They are comparing wacko left to sensible right - and they make sense every time. Same thing when comparing wacko right to sensible left - always makes sense. Comparing wackos to sensible people isn't tough to argue - even for dummies like politicians.

That's the trap we are getting caught up in.

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth
  • Fire 1

Has he signed up for US Nats yet?  If not, pure speculation.   He should go 57kg and give us the thrill of a possible Lee/RBY matchup everyone was itching for this last season.  

Kidding aside, he should make it to the US Nationals.  Unless he is just not a freestyler.  Terry Brands was not a freestyler and won Olympic Bronze.   Here's to hoping he enters. 

mspart

On 4/24/2023 at 8:20 PM, Plasmodium said:

Perhaps he is trying to figure out his weight at the last moment - 61, 65 or 70.

He's making sure what weight Vito is so he can choose a different one.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

All this sillyness about race. There is only one race: The Human Race.

That said my favorite African American actress is Charlize Theron.

• Haha 1

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.