The GOATest GOAT of All GOATs.

Wrestleknownothing

18 hours ago, Ponzi said:

Seems to me he is equating 3Xers and 4Xers ans they are both 100%ers.  But his won chart belies that idea as it shows that ALL on the 75%ers won as seniors, all but 2 won as juniors,  and TWO-THIRDS did not win as freshman. That shows the winning as a freshman is the hardest thing to do by far. That's why being a 4Xer is way more impressive than winning three (even if the some of the 3Xers had no opportunity to win 4). 

What about winning Olympic gold while in college?

On 2/23/2023 at 10:54 PM, Ponzi said:

It's not the fault of three-timers, but winning four is much better than winning three (even if some were only eligible for three). We'll never know, but I would guess that most of the guys who won as sophs, juniors and seniors (but were ineligible as freshmen) would not have won as freshmen. As evidence, how many three time champs in the freshman-eligible era did not win as freshmen? I don't have a list, but I know it's a bunch.

In that regard Sophomore (ineligible era)  = redshirt freshman (today's era).   I'd argue that winning as a Sophomore (ineligble era) is an equivalent (or more impressive*) accomplishment than a Freshman redshirt (today's era).   Add the year at the end of career instead of the beginning, and it becomes arguable that most of the 3X'ers would have won the 4th.

*Arguably more impressive in the Freshmen ineligible era because 1st year wrestlers did not have the advantage of numerous tournaments, RTC competition, etc.  For the most part, they were limited to room competition. 

Now, 4X'ers winning in their true freshman year is a more impressive accomplishment and a different story.  (e.g., Dake > Cael)

Edited by swoopdown
clarification I hope
  • Fire 2

On 2/24/2023 at 6:49 PM, ionel said:

Can we all just agree that Kentucky Mudflap is/was the GOATer of all wrestling forums?  Sure he didn't post a lot but when he did it was the GREATEST!  🐐  pip 

redneck.jpg

Is Mudflap the alias of Jake Herbert, who sports a non-ironic mullet extraordinaire? Enquiring minds wish to know

Jake Herbert on Twitter: "I will never be an Olympic Gold medalist just ur  every day ordinary average Olympian, Strange feeling hard 2 accept  https://t.co/ZOiiiMMQpT" / TwitterJake Herberthttp://intermatwrestle.com/Files/image/articles/jakeherbertstopsign.jpg

• 1 year later...

Now that we are in the quiet between the storms that are the Olympic Team Trials and the Olympics (with my apologies to Last Chance Qualifier), I thought it time we updated the GOATest GOAT of all GOATs list since there are two new members of the 100%ers Club.

As an aside, I picture this club having high-backed leather chairs, cigars and a ridiculous number of brandy snifters all of which are unused and pushed off to the side so these guys can drill in the middle of the room.

As a reminder, to produce my rankings I found what I could for who I could. This includes bonus points scored, number of matches wrestled, wins, and pinfalls. Some of these counting stats favor one era and some favor another era, so I also look at percentages in some cases. Anyway, if you want to know more there are pages of debate above that make for amazing bedtime reading.

Then I reduced the totals and percentages to ranks within the group. The average rank is used to see how high each of the creams rises (i.e. my sort). I also include the number of categories for which the wrestler is top quartile mostly because I found it interesting, though I do not use it in any meaningful way, except to stare at and sigh affectionately at my work.

The Rank

image.thumb.png.703c8e3df923c068d59e60e5fd85adc0.png

In my world there are tiers. I know there are some on here who do not care for tiers. There are also some typing these words that do not care that there are some who do not care for tiers. So we are at an impasse. Interestingly both of our new entrants enter Tier 3. 

Be that as it may, there can only be one Highlander and there can only be one Tier 1 wrestler. 

Our two newest members of the club are smack dab in the middle of Tier 3. For the most part they are both hurt by the number of loses they took, the low usage rate, and the fact they left too many guys standing.

The 4xer Rank

I write this next section under protest. 

For those of you who are not into subtlety, I have also produced the ranks for the 4xers. For this I removed the match count column because it becomes meaningless (except for Pat Smith's 1 pigtail bout).

<blah, blah> no guarantees <blah, blah> first one is the toughest <blah, blah> I don't like tough ciphering <blah, blah, blah>.

image.png.3a698637724832109ba96e801812f59b.png

"After reading a thread on HR about where Spencer Lee stands in the pantheon of four timers I decided to take a look at 100%ers instead."

Wondering why you don't have Ed Banach in there with Lee?

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

5 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

"After reading a thread on HR about where Spencer Lee stands in the pantheon of four timers I decided to take a look at 100%ers instead."

Wondering why you don't have Ed Banach in there with Lee?

At the time I wrote that sentence Spencer Lee was a presumptive 4xer who had not yet seen the bright lights of Tulsa courtesy of Matt Ramos. At the same time, Ed Banach had been a 3xer for 21 years.