Final Match at Nationals

buckshot

1 hour ago, AKHUNTER said:

I don't know how anyone can have a favorite other than SL excepting of course your favorite can be from "your team" imo

I'm a PSU guy and outside of" my team" my favorites are Yianni and Labriola.  There is bias for both.  Have family that wrestled for Cornell and Labriola is from my neck of the woods.  But even without those two Spencer still isn't one of my favorites.  There are other wrestlers I just so happen to have a liking to.  Even back in Cael's era my two favorites were Abas and Greg Jones.  Doesn't mean I didn't acknowledge Cael's greatness

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Fire 2

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

30 minutes ago, D3UC157 said:

Yes they were both boring. (X’s 2)

May be a surprise, but, 157 is a weak weight class. 197 kind of similar, bunch of mess. Something about being mandatory to crown a champ in all 10 classes, but maybe we can get a petition to skip finals that may not be as good as others? I’ll look into it.

184 - unlikely, but who knows?

I would imagine all of the other 31 guys in the bracket would disagree but hey I made a loose prediction and picked 2 guys.

You seem to find a couple weight classes to be throw aways, I tend to disagree.    

197   Has 3 former finalists and the reigning champ who is a 2 time finalist as well as  2 or 3 other guys in the mix that are studs.  

157   Seven out of the top eight guys have either one loss or no losses.  

That said the marquis match should be RBY and Fix.   Roman Bravo-Young coming back to attempt to win his third-straight NCAA title. Daton Fix looking to win his first NCAA title after finishing runner-up THREE TIMES. 

20 hours ago, Threadkilla said:

You seem to find a couple weight classes to be throw aways, I tend to disagree.    

197   Has 3 former finalists and the reigning champ who is a 2 time finalist as well as  2 or 3 other guys in the mix that are studs.  

157   Seven out of the top eight guys have either one loss or no losses.  

That said the marquis match should be RBY and Fix.   Roman Bravo-Young coming back to attempt to win his third-straight NCAA title. Daton Fix looking to win his first NCAA title after finishing runner-up THREE TIMES. 

That’s fair, I am perhaps unfairly looking down a bit on them. Overall this is probably one of the most historic opportunities for the sheer volume of multi champs in one year. Which means what could be good/great in any other year looks more ho-hum. Feels like there’s always something about 197 that feels less interesting than the other weighs. 

157 lacks the credentials of the other weights for sure. Are the quantity of good records due to the lack of quality throughout the weight class? 

The RBY-fix match seems like it only has juice if Fix wins. If RBY wins, match ends and it’s, ‘well, we’ve seen that before’. 

In the vein, how do we look at a 3 timer who beat the same guy every time?  (Admittedly, it’s Incredible however you slice it). Does it ring of, he only ever had to beat one guy and no one else was ever even competitive with them?

• Fire 1

36 minutes ago, D3UC157 said:

That’s fair, I am perhaps unfairly looking down a bit on them. Overall this is probably one of the most historic opportunities for the sheer volume of multi champs in one year. Which means what could be good/great in any other year looks more ho-hum. Feels like there’s always something about 197 that feels less interesting than the other weighs. 

157 lacks the credentials of the other weights for sure. Are the quantity of good records due to the lack of quality throughout the weight class? 

The RBY-fix match seems like it only has juice if Fix wins. If RBY wins, match ends and it’s, ‘well, we’ve seen that before’. 

In the vein, how do we look at a 3 timer who beat the same guy every time?  (Admittedly, it’s Incredible however you slice it). Does it ring of, he only ever had to beat one guy and no one else was ever even competitive with them?

I think rby is/would be saved from that criticism by virtue of Fix's world level accolades while still in college.

• Fire 1

12 minutes ago, lowSingle155 said:

I think rby is/would be saved from that criticism by virtue of Fix's world level accolades while still in college.

Exactly,   Fix also only has 4 losses in college one to Suriano in SV.  RBY in SV and 4 to 2 and his only "bad loss" is to Phillipi.   

22 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

I'm a PSU guy and outside of" my team" my favorites are Yianni and Labriola.  There is bias for both.  Have family that wrestled for Cornell and Labriola is from my neck of the woods.  But even without those two Spencer still isn't one of my favorites.  There are other wrestlers I just so happen to have a liking to.  Even back in Cael's era my two favorites were Abas and Greg Jones.  Doesn't mean I didn't acknowledge Cael's greatness

Are you from District 11?

3 hours ago, D3UC157 said:

157 lacks credentials? 157 has an ncaa champ , 5 other AAs and Humphrey whose lost in the R12 3 times , Franek has been R12 2 straight years , and Ed Scott who was round of 12 as freshman last season , Kendall Coleman whose been r12 a few years back and throw in a big time true freshman like Haines and the kid from Iowa and this bracket is pretty deep 

by comparison 141 has 3 AAs …a 5th place , 6th and 8th place finishers ..the #4 ranked guy just lost to a backup and the #5 Bartlett was 0-2 last season and didn’t make ncaas the year before 

You can make a case 157 is tougher than a few weight this year 

Edited by Antitroll2828

On 2/19/2023 at 8:28 PM, AKHUNTER said:

I don't know how anyone can have a favorite other than SL excepting of course your favorite can be from "your team" imo

I have a favorite...not from my team and it's not SL, but SL would be right up there.....my favorite....keeping it to myself, just like another topic or 2.

Edited by Fadzaev2