Spencer - get standing O at Penn State?

Dark Energy

20 hours ago, SocraTease said:

Quite frankly, that is the way I recall it-- that the crowd was rooting for DeSanto and his "vision quest" upset.   In fact,  I've heard Lee say in an interview that it was one of the only times that the crowd was rooting against him and booing him.   

Maybe it was because a PA guy (Lee) was going to Iowa (while DeSanto was staying in the state and going to Drexel). 

Maybe it was because DeSanto was getting after it and it appeared like Lee was stalling (which he was).  Lee was spent and barely hanging on.   

I know I was rooting for DeSanto and the upset at the time.

Here's the match:

Thanks for the link.

I think we can agree to disagree on this one.  You were rooting for DeSanto and I was rooting the Lee, the WPIAL guy (plus the history), so we probably both saw/heard what we wanted to see/hear.  

(I will, however, point out that your guy was wearing the black singlet.  Just sayin'...) 😉  

On 1/28/2023 at 10:44 AM, PortaJohn said:

Hey fellas. I was in attendance and can confirm there was no standing ovation.

Since you were in attendance as was I, how long was Spencer on the mat after his hand was raised? I was on my feet applauding, and before you knew it Spencer was gone and it was on to the next match.

The booing before the match I was not a fan of.

On 1/28/2023 at 11:44 AM, Jamie_Taco said:

Because most knowledgeable wrestling fans acknowledge greatness, just like Iowa fans did in Iowa City with David Taylor

Look at the YouTube video of the end of the match between David Taylor and Nick Moore. The fan's reaction in Iowa City is almost identical to the reaction of the PSU crowd. Your statement is factually incorrect.

29 minutes ago, 82bordeaux said:

Since you were in attendance as was I, how long was Spencer on the mat after his hand was raised? I was on my feet applauding, and before you knew it Spencer was gone and it was on to the next match.

The booing before the match I was not a fan of.

I Forgot to bring the stop watch. 

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

15 hours ago, 82bordeaux said:

Look at the YouTube video of the end of the match between David Taylor and Nick Moore. The fan's reaction in Iowa City is almost identical to the reaction of the PSU crowd. Your statement is factually incorrect.

Please point out in this video where Iowa fans booed DT. I am hearing claps after he majors Moore in Carver.

33 minutes ago, Jamie_Taco said:

Please point out in this video where Iowa fans booed DT. I am hearing claps after he majors Moore in Carver.

I would describe that as light applause, most likely from the PSU fans in attendance.  Definitely not a standing ovation from the Iowa fan who you can see are definitely still seated and not clapping.

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I would describe that as light applause, most likely from the PSU fans in attendance.  Definitely not a standing ovation from the Iowa fan who you can see are definitely still seated and not clapping.

Wrong. I was there and there were plenty of Iowa fans who stood up and clapped, including myself. Same thing happened for Ed the following match. The PSU section was maybe 30 people.

82bordeaux said it was the same response as PSU gave Spencer, so to quote him, his statement is factually incorrect

Edited by Jamie_Taco

9 minutes ago, Jamie_Taco said:

Wrong. I was there and there were plenty of Iowa fans who stood up and clapped, including myself. Same thing happened for Ed the following match. The PSU section was maybe 30 people.

82bordeaux said it was the same response as PSU gave Spencer, so to quote him, his statement is factually incorrect

Plenty meaning 10% of Iowa fans?  From the video it looks like hardly anyone is even clapping that's from the Iowa section.

47 minutes ago, Jamie_Taco said:

I was there and @82bordeauxis correct

11 minutes ago, Jamie_Taco said:

If you're saying Iowa fans booed DT, you weren't there.

Never claimed to be at Carver.  I saw you edited your response to me before i had a chance to respond.  I will reaffirm that @82bordeauxis correct that Spencer Lee received the same post match response from fans at the BJC as did David Taylor at Carver based on the YouTube video Bordeaux recommended to watch. 

Edited by PortaJohn

2 hours ago, Jamie_Taco said:

I wasn't talking about booing. There was booing for pretty much every Iowa wrestler. I don't approve. I think it is classless to be honest. What I was talking about is that there was no more of a standing ovation for David Taylor in that video than there was applause after Spencer won. It was pretty much the same. Totally unremarkable.

This whole thing is crazy. I thought the whole Steveson victory lap last year was weird. It wasn't this longtime great capping off a tremendous career. This was a college kid saying I am not coming back and taking the money. All that is fine but it certainly doesn't need to celebrated.

As to Lee, I was at the dual and it never even occurred to me to give a standing ovation. He is a super senior finishing his college wrestling career in a few months. Should Penn State have provided a gift like cities did during the Kareem retirement tour?

14 minutes ago, JeanGuy said:

This whole thing is crazy. I thought the whole Steveson victory lap last year was weird. It wasn't this longtime great capping off a tremendous career. This was a college kid saying I am not coming back and taking the money. All that is fine but it certainly doesn't need to celebrated.

As to Lee, I was at the dual and it never even occurred to me to give a standing ovation. He is a super senior finishing his college wrestling career in a few months. Should Penn State have provided a gift like cities did during the Kareem retirement tour?

I don't know about that, but I hope Iowa erects a life-size 5'3 statue of Spencer Lee and places it next to that statue of Gable calling for stalling.

• Haha 1

There are several moving parts here.  

I don't think there was much of a cheer for Taylor in Carver.  Nothing remotely like Steveson.  Which makes sense.  1.  Closer, big dual vs ended, not competitive dual.  2.  College star vs someone who just won a gold medal for the good old USA.

The times that the fans tend to give those types of ovations are at Big Tens and NCAAs.  Which makes sense since they aren't home crowds cheering for one team to trounce the other in a head to head dual, and since it's the end of the season, a better place for a summation.

I remember Taylor getting a big ovation from the crowd a few weeks later at Big Tens after he beat Moore again there, including from Iowa fans, it was pretty cool.  The video is here, they cut it off after a few seconds but it's already starting and building before the tape ends. 

(This is actually just an excuse to watch the incredible Taylor move at the 6:00 mark, which triggered some of the fullest oohs and aahs I've ever heard at a match.)

• Fire 2

On 1/28/2023 at 2:36 PM, D3UC157 said:
(Steiber was going for 4, can’t imagine a standing ovation for him at PSU)

Streebler had two strikes against him from a PA fan’s perspective: his first “title” had already screwed a highly respected PA product (JO) out of becoming a 3x champ; as a Senior, he posed one of the biggest threats (along w Mitchell Port) to Zain’s title chase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by lu_alum

7 hours ago, Jamie_Taco said:

Listen to the beginning of the video, where Taylor quickly secures his first takedown.

"The last two matches, 33-2 in favor of Taylor, two technical falls."

The applause you heard was for Moore. He avoided the technical fall.