Lee bump up vs RBY

BAC

9 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Again, If there wasn't a ref, Lizak would still be on top of him...

Meh, I think it’s fair to ignore RBY’s freshman year at this point.  But since then he really hasn’t wrestled anyone with anywhere in the galaxy of Lee’s turning ability except maybe Gross, who gave him one of his 2 losses.

I'm a PSU homer and would say that RBY would be crazy to go under Spencer Lee. The only way would be if it was the 3rd period and math required him to do it. Even then he would probably go neutral and try a catch and release if he was down by 3.

I don't think the guy that wrestled DeSanto with one hand behind his back is going under SL.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Meh, I think it’s fair to ignore RBY’s freshman year at this point.  But since then he really hasn’t wrestled anyone with anywhere in the galaxy of Lee’s turning ability except maybe Gross, who gave him one of his 2 losses.

Understood.  But i am replying to a person whom brought up Ronny Bresser..., so I think it is probably fair game?

On 1/16/2023 at 3:47 PM, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I think that happened with two good high schoolers.  Maybe in was in MN with Marcus Levesseur and someone else?

YES! Oh...I cannot remember who this was. It shouldn't be hard to find...but I'm going off memory. 

I THOUGHT it was a future teammate and then instead of those two wresting, Askren wrestled LeVesseur.

I want to say it was a kid named Tidwell when they were Juniors? It COULD have been that Jacob Shlottke. I thought he was a 140/145 when Levesseur was a 152. I remember we saw them and they moved him (and all their top kids all over the place almost hunting losses...which almost never happened to Apple Valley back then). 

But I do remember Levesseur kinda dominating Askren at the Christmas Tournament(which is where I believe this took place). 

11 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Understood.  But i am replying to a person whom brought up Ronny Bresser..., so I think it is probably fair game?

Fair enough, although I think most would agree that RBY has probably improved more since his freshman year than Lee has.  Lee took a couple losses of course that year but he also had his best wins - that was the only year he beat guys who were or would become NCAA Champs (Tomasello and Suriano).

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

Fair enough, although I think most would agree that RBY has probably improved more since his freshman year than Lee has.  Lee took a couple losses of course that year but he also had his best wins - that was the only year he beat guys who were or would become NCAA Champs (Tomasello and Suriano).

Well, those guys either graduated or cleared out.  Suriano 133 the next year, and then back down to 125 with no Lee. 

Keep in mind that for the Bresser loss, Lee was still working through his first ACL and wasn't even wearing an Iowa singlet.

RBY has certainly improved, and is an all-timer, although against better competition his primary strategy seems to be avoiding wrestling and then picking his spot. (No plural)

3 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Well, those guys either graduated or cleared out.  Suriano 133 the next year, and then back down to 125 with no Lee. 

Keep in mind that for the Bresser loss, Lee was still working through his first ACL and wasn't even wearing an Iowa singlet.

RBY has certainly improved, and is an all-timer, although against better competition his primary strategy seems to be avoiding wrestling and then picking his spot. (No plural)

Agree.  I don’t see how Lee’s loss to Bresser would have much relevance to this conversation, other than talking about the strategy he employed, which was basically the same strategy Rivera employed to beat him too: in a word, stall.  

If RBY had beaten Rivera than Lee’s Rivera losses could have been relevant to this conversation, but he didn’t.  Was definitely looking forward to 133 at NCAA’s in 2020…sigh…

• Fire 1

14 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Agree.  I don’t see how Lee’s loss to Bresser would have much relevance to this conversation, other than talking about the strategy he employed, which was basically the same strategy Rivera employed to beat him too: in a word, stall.  

If RBY had beaten Rivera than Lee’s Rivera losses could have been relevant to this conversation, but he didn’t.  Was definitely looking forward to 133 at NCAA’s in 2020…sigh…

Rivera stalled to beat Lee? In the big 10s rivera has down 3-0 going into the 3rd came back scored 4 points while lee did nothing , then went to OT bc lee had a riding time point and Rivera took him down again …pretty hard to “stall” when you are down 3-0 and then get 3 straight takedowns 

17 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

How is RBY a better version of SeaBass? Rivera beat RBY the last time they wrestled! lol

And is a world medalist!

I mean...RBY is going for his 3 title. SeaBass never won one.

Sure, he beat him in 2020. Didn't Starocci lose to Kemerer in '21 in the B1G finals?

So, hypothetically, that NCAA had been cancelled...and Starr won two more while Kemerer lost the following years at another weight, would you be arguing that Kemerer was a better Wrestler because of one match?

SeaBass is great, but...he's not in the same league as RBY as a College Wrestler. 

Your greatness is determined in March at ONE 3 day event...that's it.

Edited by scourge165

3 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

I mean...RBY is going for his 3 title. SeaBass never won one.

Sure, he beat him in 2020. Didn't Starocci lose to Kemerer in '21 in the B1G finals?

So, hypothetically, that NCAA had been cancelled...and Starr won two more while Kemerer lost the following years at another weight, would you be arguing that Kemerer was a better Wrestler because of one match?

SeaBass is great, but...he's not in the same league as RBY as a College Wrestler. 

Your greatness is determined in March at ONE 3 day event...that's it.

Here is the point: the other poster tried to see that RBY was a far superior version of the SAME type of wrestler that beat Lee twice (Rivera).  That is patently untrue, as shown by the 2020 result.  SeaBass only spent one year at the same weight as RBY, and defeated RBY head to head.  I also would have to question whether RBY would have been able to go up to 141 and beat Rivera.

No one is trying to say Kemerer and Starocci have the same style or are similar types of wrestlers.  

Spencer Lee is the best wrestler in NCAAs today.  He is better than RBY.  Even, I, as a Penn State homer, can admit that.

However, this doesn't necessarily mean he beats RBY head to head.  He might not even beat Real Woods or Yianni D, despite being so awesome.  Even Kervliet might present Lee a challenge.

There are weight classes for a reason.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

2 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Here is the point: the other poster tried to see that RBY was a far superior version of the SAME type of wrestler that beat Lee twice (Rivera).  That is patently untrue, as shown by the 2020 result.  SeaBass only spent one year at the same weight as RBY, and defeated RBY head to head.  I also would have to question whether RBY would have been able to go up to 141 and beat Rivera.

No one is trying to say Kemerer and Starocci have the same style or are similar types of wrestlers.  

You are talking about one match from 3 years ago , since that match Seabass is 42-4 , with loses to Tariq Wilson and Cole matthews and his best wins are 2 one point Ws over Red and 3-2 over Woods taking 4th and 3rd at ncaas and 3rd and 6th at big tens he also med forfeited 3 matches    …RBY is 43-0 , beating fix 2x , Desanto 4x , McGee 2x, finishing 1st at ncaas and big tens 2x , and I believe he’s only been take down 1 time since the Seabass match up …since 2020 rby cleared jumped to another level, maybe 2 and Seabass is basically the same guy he was when he beat spencer lee at 125 ….rby is the far superior wrestler , one match up 3 years ago doesn’t change that 

Edited by Antitroll2828

6 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

You are talking about one match from 3 years ago , since that match Seabass is 42-4 , with loses to Tariq Wilson and Cole matthews and his best wins are 2 one point Ws over Red and 3-2 over Woods taking 4th and 3rd at ncaas and 3rd and 6th at big tens he also med forfeited 3 matches    …RBY is 43-0 , beating fix 2x , Desanto 4x , McGee 2x, finishing 1st at ncaas and big tens 2x , and I believe he’s only been take down 1 time since the Seabass match up …since 2020 rby cleared jumped to another level, maybe 2 and Seabass is basically the same guy he was when he beat spencer lee at 125 ….rby is the far superior wrestler , one match up 3 years ago doesn’t change that 

You are missing the point.

Or maybe you are not.

Are you saying RBY has gotten better at stalling/running away/negative wrestling vs. top opponents?

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken
  • Fire 1

38 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Have you seen the RBY/Fix matches?  Tactics.

If you are trying to convince people of something with these one liners and gifs you are going about it the wrong way. Plus, your inner hate is shining thru loud and clear. 

• Fire 1

Funny, that score in the GIF indicates RBY scored two TDs and an escape.

Maybe DeCantGo should’ve learned how to wrestle instead of trying the same shot, over and over and over again. Taking shots that have a 0% chance of finishing is not wrestling. Kid spent my time with his face buried in the mat than on his feet the last couple. It was kind of sad, and honestly, pathetic that his coaches couldn’t do anything to make it remotely competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk