Lee bump up vs RBY

BAC

Just now, BAC said:

How so? Not my fault that Ayala’s mom started teeing off on Lee on Twitter, or that Lee and Brands were jawing at each other at the Soldier tournament after Lee roughed up Ayala. If you don’t like it, don’t go name-calling to me, tell Iowa to stop airing its dirty laundry.

My “motive” is pretty clear: I’d like to see Lee and RBY wrestle. What kind of sorry excuse for a wrestling fan are you if you disagree with that? 

What name did I call you?

3 minutes ago, BAC said:

How so? Not my fault that Ayala’s mom started teeing off on Lee on Twitter, or that Lee and Brands were jawing at each other at the Soldier tournament after Lee roughed up Ayala. If you don’t like it, don’t go name-calling to me, tell Iowa to stop airing its dirty laundry.

My “motive” is pretty clear: I’d like to see Lee and RBY wrestle. What kind of sorry excuse for a wrestling fan are you if you disagree with that? 

You said "the only" hits to his reputation were from inside the program. That's false. People from outside the program take shots at his reputation all the time.

I would love to see them wrestle at 125 pounds or 57kg. 

56 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Ybarra majoring Steen is funny.

Ybarra has one bonus win in his career …over a D2 guy (in a tournament where he only got decisions over 2 D3 guys).

Ybarra has only 1 win over a D1 starter, last year against Chauvin of Army in SV…and Chauvin finished the year 3-16.

I’d say Ybarra/Steen is a tossup at best, and zero chance Ybarra majors him.

And what are Steen’s top 20-ranked wins that give you such confidence in him? Ok, top 50? No? How about top 100?

Oh wait, my mistake, the dreaded Tyler Klinsky had cracked the Wrestlstat’s top 100 at #93 when Steen eked out a 6-4 win over him.

Look, I’m not saying Steen has no chance, and you are probably right that a regular decision for Ybarra is more likely. And if Steen were a little bigger he could be more competitive — in time he can get there. But Steen is out of his depth right now. If he were to beat Ybarra it would be the best win of his career. 

9 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

You said "the only" hits to his reputation were from inside the program. That's false. People from outside the program take shots at his reputation all the time.

I would love to see them wrestle at 125 pounds or 57kg. 

Well maybe you can point them out for me.

I always thought of Lee as the guy who, even if you hate Iowa, you respect the hell out of HIM. 

The kid goes hard, respectful of opponents (Ayala may disagree, but loved the “nice throw” comment to Ramos), willing to wrestle hurt, defies the shove-him-out-of-bounds-and-demand-a-stall-call Iowa stereotype, smiles, nice to his mom, kept ADS’s head in check, willing to sacrifice future freestyle success to help his collegiate team with bum knees. 

I admit I’m still a little salty at Iowa about that last one, but I can’t recall anyone taking shots at Lee. Not denying it, just saying he seemed pretty impervious to criticism from my standpoint. 

25 minutes ago, BAC said:

And what are Steen’s top 20-ranked wins that give you such confidence in him? Ok, top 50? No? How about top 100?

Oh wait, my mistake, the dreaded Tyler Klinsky had cracked the Wrestlstat’s top 100 at #93 when Steen eked out a 6-4 win over him.

Look, I’m not saying Steen has no chance, and you are probably right that a regular decision for Ybarra is more likely. And if Steen were a little bigger he could be more competitive — in time he can get there. But Steen is out of his depth right now. If he were to beat Ybarra it would be the best win of his career. 

And if Ybarra beat Steen it’d be the best win of his career too…

Klinsky is better than anyone Ybarra has beaten.  I’d probably pick him over Ybarra too TBH

Edited by 1032004

13 minutes ago, Jasper said:

Why is this matchup on spencer bumping up? It’s been scheduled since when? I understand that there’s a weight progression- but why doesn’t/didn’t  RBY drop down to face him? I’m a fan of both.

Did Gable drop down to face the NCAA champ at the weight below his?

21 hours ago, Le duke said:

My point was that unless Lee blows straight through RBY, which is extremely unlikely, he’s going to be in a place he really, really doesn’t want to be, from both a health and wrestling perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm probably a little bit biased but I think Spencer Lee has better offense than ADS or Fix, and if anyone finishes a takedown on RBY, it will be Lee.

But I don't like the match up at 133. We've seen what happens when someone undersized bumps up (who was that defending champ that Terry Brands destroyed that one year?). Not confident Lee's super strength is enough to counter RBY's speed, size, and conditioning advantage so RBY has to be considered the favorite by any objective standard.

I'll take Lee at 57kg though

9 hours ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

I'm probably a little bit biased but I think Spencer Lee has better offense than ADS or Fix, and if anyone finishes a takedown on RBY, it will be Lee.

But I don't like the match up at 133. We've seen what happens when someone undersized bumps up (who was that defending champ that Terry Brands destroyed that one year?). Not confident Lee's super strength is enough to counter RBY's speed, size, and conditioning advantage so RBY has to be considered the favorite by any objective standard.

I do hope we get to see it in FS, obviously a folk match is very unlikely but it's fun to speculate.   I can't remember, has RBY even said he plans to wrestle FS?  I thought he was planning to go into MMA.  And even if he did wrestle, hasn't it been stated that he has a big cut to get to 133?   Seems unlikely he goes 57 if he even wrestles but I haven't paid attention to his comments about his post-college plans

9 hours ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Not confident Lee's super strength is enough to counter RBY's speed, size, and conditioning advantage so RBY has to be considered the favorite by any objective standard.

I believe this is the consensus other than a few passionate fanatics. 

• Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

13 hours ago, BAC said:

Your motive is purely selfish, there's nothing wrong with that. If you'd drop the BS about it being in Iowa and Lee's best interest, no one would disagree with you.

If Spencer won, it would definitely add to his legacy but he doesn't need it. There's not even evidence it would help the team for sure. They could lose even if Lee moved up. The road to Spencer Lee's legacy has already paved over Happy Valley and it eats Penn State fans up. 

If Lee moved up and lost, this board would have a "I loved the Spencer Lee for Hodge era" thread in 2 seconds. Filled with comments on the arrogance of the Brands brothers, questioning why they would ruin Lee's legacy and risk his health just to show off in a meaningless dual. Followed by "Cael is such a great coach Spencer Lee can't even beat him, he might be better than Gable!" cinniminnie thread. If he got hurt, it would be "TnT hate America for ruining our Olympic hopeful".

If this board is anything, it's consistent. 

24 minutes ago, Red said:

Unless Lee was 100% (and he is not) it would be stupid to bump him.  Simple as that.  Not sure what the hell you guys have been discussing over the last 3 pages??

ahh ... did you miss the whole burwikk thread?  🙄

• Haha 3

For me is this match-up would happen it would be for a one-day fan appreciation moment. It would say nothing about either wrestler's legacy. This would be for the fans. It wouldn't be for the team or the individual.

It would be fun, but it isn't happening in today's NCAA where it is hard enough to get two great guys at the same weight to even face off against each other.

• Fire 1

29 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Had to look those cats up...

Jeff Ecklof was a stud. AA'd first year at Oklahoma then transferred to Pitt following year went 19-0 that following redshirt season then fell off the face of the earth

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

Mark Schultz bumped up a weight to stop Ed Banach from being the first 4 timer.   He stated that as his goal.  And he did it. 

I think this would be great theatre for Lee and Iowa, but in the end, is it a wise move?  With Lee's history of injury, it might be best to not go for theatre.   If Lee was 100%, never injured, why not?   It would be a great match to watch. 

mspart

• Fire 2

7 minutes ago, mspart said:

Mark Schultz bumped up a weight to stop Ed Banach from being the first 4 timer.   He stated that as his goal.  And he did it. 

I think this would be great theatre for Lee and Iowa, but in the end, is it a wise move?  With Lee's history of injury, it might be best to not go for theatre.   If Lee was 100%, never injured, why not?   It would be a great match to watch. 

mspart

In that case, you've got it backward.  RBY needs to go down to stop Lee's run.  The onus is not on Lee!

• Fire 1