Lee bump up vs RBY

BAC

It’s Iowa’s only real chance to win the dual. They can throw in Ayala to get the major at 125.  Even if Lee loses by dec, it is a wash, but if he wins Iowa can pull off the upset.  This should happen. 

I realize there are lots of excuses in the Iowa camp why it won’t happen. Lee has only been back from injury for a few weeks; he is too small; it might hurt his confidence for NCAAs; it hurts his legacy.

But about that legacy. How does Lee want to be remembered?  As the guy from the other weekend, who got salty at his coaches for having to wrestle a teammate, and bow isn’t willing to bump up to help his team win a dual? Or as the “excuses are for wusses” guy who put it on the line for glory and a big dual win?

It’s their last year. Their last big dual. They can mail in techs or they can do something memorable — for the ages.  It would be a new record for the most NCAA titles on the mat at the same time.

I’m sure RBY would welcome it. What about you Spencer?

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BAC said:

It’s Iowa’s only real chance to win the dual. They can throw in Ayala to get the major at 125.  Even if Lee loses by dec, it is a wash, but if he wins Iowa can pull off the upset.  This should happen. 

I realize there are lots of excuses in the Iowa camp why it won’t happen. Lee has only been back from injury for a few weeks; he is too small; it might hurt his confidence for NCAAs; it hurts his legacy.

But about that legacy. How does Lee want to be remembered?  As the guy from the other weekend, who got salty at his coaches for having to wrestle a teammate, and bow isn’t willing to bump up to help his team win a dual? Or as the “excuses are for wusses” guy who put it on the line for glory and a big dual win?

It’s their last year. Their last big dual. They can mail in techs or they can do something memorable — for the ages.  It would be a new record for the most NCAA titles on the mat at the same time.

I’m sure RBY would welcome it. What about you Spencer?

Not burning drakes shirt for a dual 

• Fire 2

1 minute ago, flyingcement said:

Ybarra could still probably take Steen.  Also maybe Teske could make the weight for a match since he always used to

Ybarra has been wrestling 133 as has Teske. Neither would have the time to descend down. 

2 minutes ago, Gus said:

Ybarra has been wrestling 133 as has Teske. Neither would have the time to descend down. 

That could be true if they were starting the decision making process right now instead of along time ago (which seems more likely).  Neither Teske nor Ybarra seem like full size 133s based on their appearances this year 

In the multiple other threads about this, I said that there’s no way in hell TnT are throwing their golden boy out there to get his knee destroyed by RBY.

Think about it. A guy that didn’t give up a single offensive point to Desanto or Fix in 8 total matches against the two of them in the last two years. Who specializes in grabbing the foot or ankle of his opponent after mashing their face into the mat. With what I’m guessing is 6” of wingspan advantage and is likely the fastest person in the NCAA, and not weak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Le duke said:

In the multiple other threads about this, I said that there’s no way in hell TnT are throwing their golden boy out there to get his knee destroyed by RBY.

Think about it. A guy that didn’t give up a single offensive point to Desanto or Fix in 8 total matches against the two of them in the last two years. Who specializes in grabbing the foot or ankle of his opponent after mashing their face into the mat. With what I’m guessing is 6” of wingspan advantage and is likely the fastest person in the NCAA, and not weak.

Meh. The injury default loss that DeSanto took was shameful but,

1) RBY has never done that to anyone else,

2) Austin shot in at least 15 times after the injury and the situation never recurred,

3) Lee and Austin are not comparable wrestlers. Lee finishes his shots differently than Austin. He would not find himself in the same predicament

• Fire 2

If Lee loses, he is likely out of the Hodge race.  Maybe it doesn't matter to him since he has two, but who knows.   

I think that two things might also need to occur: (1) T & T would have to offer idea as an option (not a requirement) to Lee and Lee would need to accept the challenge; (2) the dual doesn't start at 125 or 133 but rather finishes there (or close to there) so that a good portion of the team score is known ahead of the match.   If Iowa can't win with a Lee decision or even major, it doesn't make sense.   

Finally, my money would be on RBY.  Lee is strong as an ox, but RBY is quick as a mongoose (or maybe lightning).  (In all my years of wrestling and watching the sport, I've never seen anyone faster.). Lee can be taken down and he gases in the third period.  RBY does not run out of gas.

PS:  I think practically everyone in the sport would love to see the match, however.  Two multiple-time NCAA champs going at it.  The only recent comparison might be Dake vs. DT.

Edited by SocraTease

Meh. The injury default loss that DeSanto took was shameful but,
1) RBY has never done that to anyone else,
2) Austin shot in at least 15 times after the injury and the situation never recurred,
3) Lee and Austin are not comparable wrestlers. Lee finishes his shots differently than Austin. He would not find himself in the same predicament

My point was that unless Lee blows straight through RBY, which is extremely unlikely, he’s going to be in a place he really, really doesn’t want to be, from both a health and wrestling perspective.

3 minutes ago, Hokeye said:

RBY would kick the sh_t out of Lee.  Too big and too fast.  He is bigger,stronger,faster, and of similar skill sets. Now if you sucked RBY down to 125 that would be a completely different thing.  Lee wins a close decision.

I think RBY could probably take Lee down, but he hasn’t really wrestled anyone with Lee’s top ability.  Unless he escapes in the first 5 seconds or something I think Lee could turn him.

The only way Lee ever gets on top would be to pick top which is likely since he would be trailing and extremely tired by the time the choice was offered.  RBY is stronger (by a large amount) than these 125 lb. guys he is turning.  If Lee himself thought he could win 133 this year he would be there because it would be so much better for his team.  Drake would be a high AA at 125 this year and it would steal a title from PSU at 133. It would give Iowa a real chance in the team race. Add about 15 points to themselves and take a few from PSU.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Hokeye said:

The only way Lee ever gets on top would be to pick top which is likely since he would be trailing and extremely tired by the time the choice was offered.  RBY is stronger (by a large amount) than these 125 lb. guys he is turning.  If Lee himself thought he could win 133 this year he would be there because it would be so much better for his team.  Drake would be a high AA at 125 this year and it would steal a title from PSU at 133. It would give Iowa a real chance in the team race. Add about 15 points to themselves and take a few from PSU.

Yes I would envision him taking top if he doesn’t get any takedowns.

Is RBY stronger than Nathan Tomasello?

The gas tank is a legit concern though, especially against RBY.

I don’t necessarily think Lee going 133 would be best for the team even if he/they thought he could win the title.  While I do think he could, it’s not as much of a guarantee as 125, and he probably scores less bonus.  Ayala isn’t a guarantee to AA at 125, and was coming off surgery.   Teske can probably score a similar amount at 133 as Ayala at 125.

20 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The OP's premise was that Iowa might need this to win the dual, not that either wrestler was on a vision quest.

Not exactly WKN. He questioned more than Lee's desire to win a dual.

"But about that legacy. How does Lee want to be remembered?  As the guy from the other weekend, who got salty at his coaches for having to wrestle a teammate, and bow isn’t willing to bump up to help his team win a dual? Or as the “excuses are for wusses” guy who put it on the line for glory and a big dual win?"

Just now, MPhillips said:

Not exactly WKN. He questioned more than Lee's desire to win a dual.

"But about that legacy. How does Lee want to be remembered?  As the guy from the other weekend, who got salty at his coaches for having to wrestle a teammate, and bow isn’t willing to bump up to help his team win a dual? Or as the “excuses are for wusses” guy who put it on the line for glory and a big dual win?"

The OP’s premise was assuming Ayala would wrestle 125.  He won’t

Agreed. Which is kinda silly. This premise is flawed in multiple ways. He has to bump up a weight to defend his legacy? No he doesn't. He needs to so his team can win? Not a lot of evidence for that either. When Lee is a 4 timer or maybe going for Oly gold, this dual will just be another in a long list where he dominated his opponent (Steen).

This thread is just a thinly veiled attempt to throw shade on Iowa and Lee or using too many words to say " wouldn't it be cool if RBY and Lee wrestle this dual and who would win?"

8 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

In all the discussions about this theoretical matchup no on has yet provided a reason to why it would benefit Spencer Lee

If it would help them win the dual (it won’t), it would help Lee.

And it would certainly boost his “legacy” further, not that his legacy needs boosting.  But even people that acknowledge his greatness can also acknowledge that there has been a relative lack of guys really anywhere near his caliber at 125 his final 2 seasons.