(Almost) No WTTs in 2023?

BAC

On Flo radio, they were saying the procedures are being changed this year, such that they'll only have a WTT for weights in which there wasn't a medalist.  Instead, Final X will consist of the returning medalist, and the winner of the US Open.  As a result, WTTs will only be contested for 61kg and HWT in men's freestyle. 

Do I have this right?  Maybe that's common knowledge but if so I missed it.  Is the plan that the two US Open finalists (plus the returning medalist) will comprise the "world team members" for the other 8 weights?

Kind of a bummer since WTTs is one of my favorite events, and part of me hates to see it watered down to that extent.  But I also see the logic, since the US Open has slipped in relevance these past several years, where it seemed like its only real point in attending for many was to nab a top-8 spot to qualify for trials -- and those who were already qualified would skip it.

Edited by BAC

Well if this is going to be the way they do it this year, I think it will be important to give our college guys and gals the necessary time to prepare for the US Open. 

Edited by de4856
Misunderstanding of the original post

A couple of things I confirmed:

• US Open will be in Las Vegas
  • US Open is truly Open, everyone can wrestle with no prerequisite tournament placement qualifications
  • Current world team members will go to Pan Ams
  • World medalists at the same weight they medaled at in 2022 will sit in Final X
  • Weights without a medalist, USOpen winner goes to Final X and a smaller (?) WTT is held to get the second Final X wrestler

It was a good year to medal...

Edited by Mike Parrish

4 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

A couple of things I confirmed:

• US Open will be in Las Vegas
  • US Open is truly Open, everyone can wrestle with no prerequisite tournament placement qualifications
  • Current world team members will go to Pan Ams
  • World medalists at the same weight they medaled at in 2022 will sit in Final X
  • Weights without a medalist, USOpen winner goes to Final X and a smaller (?) WTT is held to get the second Final X wrestler

It was a good year to medal...

With the caveat that they wish to compete in the same weight class, correct?  Meaning if JB or Cox wished to go up or down, neither could and get a -BYE- to Final X.

Also, does that mean Cox will be the 92 KG rep at Pan Ams?  Or is Jackson stepping in there, too?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

With the caveat that they wish to compete in the same weight class, correct?  Meaning if JB or Cox wished to go up or down, neither could and get a -BYE- to Final X.

I believe that is correct.
If you aren't at your medal weight, you're just in the mix.
Makes me wonder what seeding criteria will be.

Also, does that mean Cox will be the 92 KG rep at Pan Ams?  Or is Jackson stepping in there, too?

No idea.

I too wish that the US Open was the main feeder into WTTs.   With a few other tourneys feeding also.  But, you know what, we have had more success at worlds lately with this new format than before.   So maybe there is value in it or we have once in a lifetime wrestlers all at the same time.  

mspart

• Fire 1

this has been known for a minute... 

the biggest impact will be for any athlete who considers competing in age group and seniors at the open... the oldest is only going to wrestle seniors at the open specifically because of the added importance this year... 

he is totally ok with that...

and there is the real rub...

many things that make considerably more sense with for the athletes and the organizers are not going to make the "fans" sitting on their couch happy, but, those "fans" are rarely "happy" about anything and rarely attend anyway, so, setting schedules with them in mind do not make much sense at all...

i can tell you, extra tourneys being manufactured for a non-existent fan base does not make those in the game happy at all... 

• Fire 1

18 minutes ago, LJB said:

this has been known for a minute... 

the biggest impact will be for any athlete who considers competing in age group and seniors at the open... the oldest is only going to wrestle seniors at the open specifically because of the added importance this year... 

he is totally ok with that...

and there is the real rub...

many things that make considerably more sense with for the athletes and the organizers are not going to make the "fans" sitting on their couch happy, but, those "fans" are rarely "happy" about anything and rarely attend anyway, so, setting schedules with them in mind do not make much sense at all...

i can tell you, extra tourneys being manufactured for a non-existent fan base does not make those in the game happy at all... 

I think the club teams are tired of trekking all over the country to remote locations paying for their athletes to wrestle in a series of tournaments with 6 man brackets.

23 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

If I were a world team member that didn’t medal, why would I go to Pan Ams rather than attempt to win the Open and rest until Final X?

It's a conundrum.

If I remember correctly, if a US wrestler doesn't finish top two at Pan Ams (continental championship) for a given weight, that weight isn't qualified for Worlds and nobody gets to go.

It’s been a minute since I actually looked, but, it used to be you just had to send a rep to continental to qualify for worlds… then on Olympic years continental are a last chance Olympic qualifier…

or something along those lines…

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, LJB said:

It’s been a minute since I actually looked, but, it used to be you just had to send a rep to continental to qualify for worlds… then on Olympic years continental are a last chance Olympic qualifier…

I dug around looking for the underlying docs and couldn't find anything.

I suspect everything is in flux right now.

16 minutes ago, LJB said:

I think that close.

Send a participant to to PanAm Championships to gets you to send a wrestler to Worlds. 

Olympics you have three routes. 1. Medal at Worlds or now win a special bronze medal loser wrestle off at an Olympic weight.  2. place top 2 in the Continental Championship.  3. I believe they just changed the Last Chance Qualifier to the top 2, plus the winner of a special bronze medalist wrestle-off. 

Edited by MadMardigain
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

I think that close.

Send a participant to to PanAm Championships to get to to wrestle Worlds. 

Olympics you either need to medal at worlds or win a special bronze medal loser wrestle off at an Olympic weight, place top 2 in the Continental Championship, and I believe they just changed the Last Chance Qualifier to the top 2 plus the winner of a special bronze medalist wrestle-off. 

"Weighin and step on the mat" is what I just heard.