Southern Scuffle

MizzouFan01

2 hours ago, H82Lose said:

Poulin has looked pretty good thus far.  The tourney has been fun for me to watch, tons of young guys that I know and seeing them do well is awesome. We had (3) guys out of our highschool room that competed and are doing pretty well. 

On the old board there were a few of us that believed Poulin was going to end up being solid....and a majority believing he was just an internet sensation with a mohawk. Looking good so far as a freshman. 

• Fire 3

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

19 hours ago, MPhillips said:

Smith says, the flu and two guys banged up and needing a rest. A ten hour bus ride then wrestling then ten hour bus ride isn't a restful.

One thing that Smith said, and many others, which is very true: The season is TOO long.  If the season was shortened up it might curtail legitimate "ducks" and possibly shut up the people who call every absence a duck...well probably not them. 

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

One thing that Smith said, and many others, which is very true: The season is TOO long.  If the season was shortened up it might curtail legitimate "ducks" and possibly shut up the people who call every absence a duck...well probably not them. 

Is the season longer now than it used to be, when top wrestlers routinely had 30-40 matches?  All I have access to is Cornell's record book, and I see more than a dozen guys with more than 44 matches in a season, all of which were in the last fifteen years (and Dake isn't one of them).

When did the season get too long?

1 minute ago, BigRedFan said:

Is the season longer now than it used to be, when top wrestlers routinely had 30-40 matches?  All I have access to is Cornell's record book, and I see more than a dozen guys with more than 44 matches in a season, all of which were in the last fifteen years (and Dake isn't one of them).

It’s the length of the season period 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

On the old board there were a few of us that believed Poulin was going to end up being solid....and a majority believing he was just an internet sensation with a mohawk. Looking good so far as a freshman. 

I have never doubted ability, I questioned is off the mat decisions. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, flyingcement said:

Troy Spratley is a tough customer.  If McKee wasn't in his way, he would be probably a R12 or R16 guy this year for Minnesota

I know Troy very well, he actually wrestled for us and our room was LEGIT. His family has made big time sacrifices to get him where he is at. He is tough as hell.  Many don't know, he started at SEM, went to Oklahoma and then he went down to Texas and trained his ass off. He is going to be good, no doubt. 

1 hour ago, flyingcement said:

Connor Brown looked like he was poked in the eye very badly and defaulted after six seconds into the match.  He looked genuinely hurt though.  Hope he's okay.

I think it popped out. Everyone was kinda freaking out a little. Then Pulliam got concussed, both our 184’s lost and failed to place, then our promising back up Hwt hurt his knee. Lone bright spot is Cam Steed, our back up 165. 

10 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

That adds nothing.  Is the season longer than it was?  Was it always "too long," despite the fact that many top wrestlers competed in 40+ matches per season?

Yes, the season has always been too long. Irregardless of whether or not people had stat padding matches

I remember in the early 80's, there were some wrestlers that sported 35-40 bouts before the NCAA tournament started.

(Heck, back when I wrestled in the early 70's... having thirty bouts before the start of the NJSIAA tournament was  a lot of matches! I had 20 matches each of my last two seasons in HS after the districts.)

I also recollect when I actively started to follow LEHIGH (early-mid 70's), having the first dual by early  December.  Hmmm.🤔

The Scuffle semis are about to start in about 5 mins.

D3

Edited by D3 for LU

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

6 minutes ago, D3 for LU said:

I remember in the early 80's, there were some wrestlers that sported 35-40 bouts before the NCAA tournament started.

(Heck, back when I wrestled in the early 70's... having thirty bouts before the start of the NJSIAA tournament was  a lot of matches! I had 20 matches each of my last two seasons in HS after the districts.)

I also recollect when I actively started to follow LEHIGH (early-mid 70's), having the first dual by early  December.  Hmmm.🤔

The Scuffle semis are about to start in about 5 mins.

D3

Caruso had 33 bouts prior to EIWA- total in 3 seasons!

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Formally140 said:

Yes, the season has always been too long. Irregardless of whether or not people had stat padding matches

(My brain hurts reading that sentence)

Cherry-picking to follow, wrt "stat padding matches".  Gabe Dean, 2015-2016 season:

Started with the NWCA All-Star match.

Dual meets:  Oklahoma, WV, NC State, Northern Iowa, Missouri, EIWA/Ivy duals (required), Minnesota, Iowa, Lehigh 2x.

Tournaments:  CKLV, Southern Scuffle (seven matches!), EIWA, NCAA.  Not even going to count the five matches at the November
NYS Intercollegiate tournament, since they were too easy, I'm sure.

4 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

(My brain hurts reading that sentence)

Cherry-picking to follow, wrt "stat padding matches".  Gabe Dean, 2015-2016 season:

Started with the NWCA All-Star match.

Dual meets:  Oklahoma, WV, NC State, Northern Iowa, Missouri, EIWA/Ivy duals (required), Minnesota, Iowa, Lehigh 2x.

Tournaments:  CKLV, Southern Scuffle (seven matches!), EIWA, NCAA.  Not even going to count the five matches at the November
NYS Intercollegiate tournament, since they were too easy, I'm sure.

I don’t feel like writing paragraphs explaining how long the season is and how hard it is on the body.  Especially if the only focus is on NCAAs because of the current culture and incentive structure. 

That the season is too long is not at all a new discussion for college coaches, athletes, and those closely involved 

1 minute ago, Formally140 said:

I don’t feel like writing paragraphs explaining how long the season is and how hard it is on the body.  Especially if the only focus is on NCAAs because of the current culture and incentive structure. 

That the season is too long is not at all a new discussion for college coaches, athletes, and those closely involved 

Translation:  "I got nothing"

1 hour ago, BigRedFan said:

I'm not speaking of number of matches... I am speaking of beginning of October to end of March...time wise.... almost 6 months of a season is a long time to stay healthy and not take the opportunity to miss some matches... but that's another thread. 

Just now, Idaho said:

I'm not speaking of number of matches... I am speaking of beginning of October to end of March...time wise.... almost 6 months of a season is a long time to stay healthy and not take the opportunity to miss some matches... but that's another thread. 

Is it different than it used to be?  Serious question.

• Fire 1