Unstoppable Movie about Anthony Robles

Really excited for this.  Comes out in December.  Seems like it challenges Foxcatcher for the biggest names in a wrestling movie.

Robles is played by Jharell Jerome.  He’s been in a lot of stuff, my favorite being Mr. Mercedes.

J. Lo plays his mom, Bobby Canavale (who was also in Win/Win) plays his stepdad, Michael Pena his high school coach, and Don Cheadle plays then-ASU coach Shawn Charles.

• Bob 4
  • Fire 1

It was produced by Ben Affleck and Matt Damon's prouction company.  They made "Air", the movie about the origins of Air Jordans.  I have not seen it, but heard its very good, so I think this movie seems very promising.

Edited by FWwrestling
  • Bob 1

They got Johnni Dijulius to play Matt Mcdonough so that should help

41 minutes ago, TNwrestling said:

The reason Win/Win is the best wrestling movie made is because they got a state champ wrestler to play the lead...if the lead actor in this hasnt ever wrestled its just gonna look like every other wrestling movie ever made

• Bob 2

9 hours ago, Kansasfan said:

They got Johnni Dijulius to play Matt Mcdonough so that should help

This is incredibly ironic given that Mcdonough is holding a front headlock for half of his matches with Robles. 

Edited by billyhoyle

8 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Nike was a relatively small company at the time, at least compared to now.  Not a gross movie, but I guess you and your AI generated posts won't be finding out.

Again, I didn't see it. AND I don't say the movie was gross. What I said was that if I got one tingle in my spine bc of thinking about successful marketing strategies I would feel gross.

• Bob 1

Excited to watch it. I think there are lots of cool moments in wrestling that would make great films and i hope this one inspires more. (Personally i want a movie about shane griffith and how he saved the stanford wrestling progamand several other sports in 2021) Also an ASU fan this will be extra sweet.

• Bob 1

Sorry, but I'll play the naysayer.  Despite the fact that Robles wrestled with one leg, he had big time upper body advantage.  Think about it:  how much does a leg weigh?  35 pounds?  So he had the upper body of a 170 pound man, which was very obvious.  Yes  he had moves, speed, and strength of a solid wrestler, but he also was hard to take down because he wrestled with one knee to the mat position which left his opponents not able to surprise Robles, .  I think McD looked confuses as to where to attack and I think he suffered from what most Robles opponents did:  "I don't want to take  advantage of this guy,  so I'll...........what?"  Not taking anything away from Robles:  he was an honest champ, but wrestling him was weird;  his oponents looked confused.

• Bob 1
  • Jagger 1

10 hours ago, Chigachanuk said:

I think McD looked confused ...

Could it be because McD realized when he hit the mat he'd just spent all his prep time drilling his double leg and sweep single to the left?  🤦‍♀️

11 hours ago, Chigachanuk said:

Sorry, but I'll play the naysayer.  Despite the fact that Robles wrestled with one leg, he had big time upper body advantage.  Think about it:  how much does a leg weigh?  35 pounds?  So he had the upper body of a 170 pound man, which was very obvious.  Yes  he had moves, speed, and strength of a solid wrestler, but he also was hard to take down because he wrestled with one knee to the mat position which left his opponents not able to surprise Robles, .  I think McD looked confuses as to where to attack and I think he suffered from what most Robles opponents did:  "I don't want to take  advantage of this guy,  so I'll...........what?"  Not taking anything away from Robles:  he was an honest champ, but wrestling him was weird;  his oponents looked confused.

Robles had advantages and disadvantages.  He did an outstanding job of forcing his opponents to wrestle against his advantages.  Nick Akerman was given a Hodge, I am dumbfounded why Robles does not have one.

• Bob 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

22 hours ago, Chigachanuk said:

Nobody took it easy on Robles. Not in high school, and definitely not in D1.  The guy was absolutely built when he competed. I have no doubt he'd have been just as successful with two legs, possibly even better.  If having one leg is such a huge advantage, we would see way more people missing legs able to compete in D1. Yes, there are fewer athletes competing with one leg, but I've seen a number of athletes compete missing legs, and none were to the level of Robles. 

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

On 9/12/2024 at 11:05 PM, Chigachanuk said:

I think McD looked confused as to where to attack

I can't imagine he was confused, in the sense that he was surprised that the dude wrestled from a knee and had incredible grip strength.  McD knew AR's tactics and strategies. Obviously, he didn't have the feel, but he wasn't taken unawares. He just didn't have the best game plan.