Who Will Increase Deficit Spending The Most?

1 hour ago, mspart said:

You guys do not seem to understand the difference between income and assets. AGI is not assets. The proposed tax (which will never get passed) is on appreciated assets.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Yes, and that info is not available that I know of.    The question was starting to hinge on the 1% and what they pay.   The table was added to show what the IRS says on the subject. 

mspart

1 hour ago, mspart said:

Yes, and that info is not available that I know of.    The question was starting to hinge on the 1% and what they pay.   The table was added to show what the IRS says on the subject. 

mspart

Nope. The question was always about the Biden-Harris proposal to tax unrealized gains for billionnaires.

As people like to do around here when they do not know what they are talking about, they attempted to "prove" that billionaires pay the majority of taxes by posting a stat that not even the 1% highest earners pay a majority of taxes. Never mind that the top 1% of earners by AGI does not equate in any way to the 800 billionaires in the US. Just a bunch of foolishness.

Even that 800 billionaires is an overstatement. It includes people who do not have a billion or more, but could be said to be worth a billion on a capitalized basis.

For example, Taylor Swift is a newly minted "billionaire" even though she does not have a billion dollars. However, if she were to sell the rights to her future royalties and concert revenue she would likely be able to do so for about a billion dollars, so Forbes puts her on their billionaires list. There are a lot of this kind of "billionaires" in this category. None of these would be covered.

So, now we are talking about a lot less than 800 people the tax would apply to. Even if all of those people are in the 1% by AGI (they are not, which is the point of the proposal) they constitute a whopping 0.0005% of the 153.6 million taxpayers. So if the top 1% pay 45% of total taxes, then clearly any 0.0005% do not pay the majority of taxes.

should we assume that in the chart the top 5% INCLUDES the top 1%?

i think we should

this means.. the top 1% pays 1 Trillion

while 2-5% pays .4 trillion.

quite a difference

the top 10% pays 1.6 Trillion

so 6-10 % pays only .2 trillion

if im wrong about that... let me know.

but i think it shows.... 

26 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

should we assume that in the chart the top 5% INCLUDES the top 1%?

i think we should

this means.. the top 1% pays 1 Trillion

while 2-5% pays .4 trillion.

quite a difference

the top 10% pays 1.6 Trillion

so 6-10 % pays only .2 trillion

if im wrong about that... let me know.

but i think it shows.... 

Are we all just now realizing that we have a progressive tax system?

45 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Nope. The question was always about the Biden-Harris proposal to tax unrealized gains for billionnaires.

How will B&H know who is a billionaire?  Will TS qualify, will Trump re appraise his assets ...  🤔

Just now, Wrestleknownothing said:

With the right growth and interest rate assumptions we are all billionaires.

exactly but let's go after those nasty millionaires like Bernie first.  

• Haha 1

I see a couple of roadblocks:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated,

nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, Offthemat said:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated,

Roadblocks to what?

15 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

As people like to do around here when they do not know what they are talking about, they attempted to "prove" that billionaires pay the majority of taxes by posting a stat that not even the 1% highest earners pay a majority of taxes. Never mind that the top 1% of earners by AGI does not equate in any way to the 800 billionaires in the US. Just a bunch of foolishness.

Even that 800 billionaires is an overstatement. It includes people who do not have a billion or more, but could be said to be worth a billion on a capitalized basis.

For example, Taylor Swift is a newly minted "billionaire" even though she does not have a billion dollars. However, if she were to sell the rights to her future royalties and concert revenue she would likely be able to do so for about a billion dollars, so Forbes puts her on their billionaires list. There are a lot of this kind of "billionaires" in this category. None of these would be covered.

So, now we are talking about a lot less than 800 people the tax would apply to. Even if all of those people are in the 1% by AGI (they are not, which is the point of the proposal) they constitute a whopping 0.0005% of the 153.6 million taxpayers. So if the top 1% pay 45% of total taxes, then clearly any 0.0005% do not pay the majority of taxes.

Sorry Know Nothing.   The topic at the time I posted was talking about billionaires and 1%.   And there was argument about that.   So I thought it a good thing to put in facts and data from the US government to clear up the confusion.   Sorry I got your knickers in a bunch. 

mspart

14 hours ago, Offthemat said:

This does not outlaw taxes...obviously. 

We already do this btw. They're called property taxes.