David Taylor kicks started Jordan Williams off the team!

poke1

5 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

Where you came up with this number I have no idea.

😅

If you figure between Wyoming, Oklahoma State, and Oklahoma there are approximately 100 wrestlers and only one has been dismissed from their team due to excessive alcohol consumption (this year), then his number is actually pretty spot on.

I used those three for no reason at all.

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

10 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

Did I say that Cael didn't make exceptions and was lenient for his star athletes? When he took over the job, he was strict on drinking so he could clean house.  Obviously he wasn't going to kick his best wrestlers off of the team, and neither will Taylor. 

That is comical.  In reality, Cael was actually accepting transfers in who had a drinking issues and were kicked out of their previous school.  

Good for Cael for setting a strict policy now. Of course, when you are winning NCAAs by 50+ points its easy to say my way or the highway, but that wasn't always the case.

Edited by Dogbone
  • Bob 1

14 hours ago, WrestlingRash said:

You pearl clutchers crack me up. Its college wrestling. This happens. Kicking a young man off the team who is in need of help is lame. Taylor is going to lose the team. Countdown to self destruction initiated. 

I might agree if this was a one-off alcohol arrest.  New coaches who want to be seen as "cleaning up the program" can be anxious to put out a so-called "zero-tolerance" policy, which usually backfires, both in alienating the team (which sees it as overly draconian) and in inconsistent application (as no one's dismissing a defending national champ over a one-off arrest for a minor crime).

But I don't see that at all if, as is reported, this comes on the heels of a DUI last year.  No one's going to see that as draconian. I don't think there's many big programs in the country where you can expect to be arrested twice of the same infraction and expect to still be on the team.  I can't imagine Taylor, or any coach, would want to send the message to the team, "here at OSU you can get arrested for alcohol-related crimes twice in a year and still compete for a spot."

14 hours ago, WrestlingRash said:

You pearl clutchers crack me up. Its college wrestling. This happens. Kicking a young man off the team who is in need of help is lame. Taylor is going to lose the team. Countdown to self destruction initiated. 

Haven't read a single post wishing him bad luck... if anything, I think everyone here hopes (as has been stated by many including myself) that he can turn things around. Who are you to say that he has not been offered help already? He actually did not fulfill his requirements from the incident last summer, which were meant to provide help.

"According to court records, Williams failed to report under supervision as of March 13 and had not completed the requirements of his deferred sentence as of Aug. 8; a drug and alcohol evaluation, 30 hours of community service, the completion of Oklahoma’s Alcohol and Drug Substance Abuse Course and attending a victim’s impact panel." 

From an article today that seems like he is okay ""Yes, it happened," he wrote in an Instagram story post. "I would like to apologize to everyone that supports me. I made a mistake and I can't go back and change that and also I am doing well!! also wanted to say thank you to Oklahoma State!!"

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

12 hours ago, MPhillips said:

College:

Go to class.

Don't get arrested.

Don't get anyone pregnant (don't get pregnant).

Also workable:

Go to some classes but not the early ones.

Don't get caught.

Get the cheerleader pregnant but deny paternity and send in your best mate with your ID to take the cheek swab at court services.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, WrestlingRash said:

This was a second chance if I'm reading it correctly. My experience is limited, but getting arrested for being drunk in public is a feat in a college town where everyone is drunk in public. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

This was a second chance if I'm reading it correctly. My experience is limited, but getting arrested for being drunk in public is a feat in a college town where everyone is drunk in public. 

Why do you think it was only a second chance instead of a third or fourth?  

36 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

This was at least a second chance if I'm reading it correctly. My experience is limited, but getting arrested for being drunk in public is a feat in a college town where everyone is drunk in public. 

18 minutes ago, ionel said:

Why do you think it was only a second chance instead of a third or fourth?  

fify! Sheesh!

• Bob 1

42 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

I assume that the previous admin handled things differently? Idk. 

John Smith after incident last summer; 

“I think more importantly, personally he’s growing,” Smith said last season after Williams won the starting job. “And that’s what has to happen first. He’s personally growing up, he seems to understand what’s at stake. There’s been times in the season where I wanted to step back and just give the weight class to Sammy. I think for Jordan, recognizing that,  ‘Hey, I lost my spot there for a while and may have lost it period.’

“I think it’s helped him grow up, more than helped him get his head on and become a better wrestler. I think he sees a little bit of about what the world can do to you if you’re not careful, and I’m sure glad to see him just grow up and take responsibility and come in the mornings– our morning workouts, he’s one of the first ones here now. Just some good things are happening for him right now that he sees. His mindset is really at a good place of helping him develop as we go forward here.”

DT response after recent incident: 

Jordan Williams is no longer part of the Cowboy Wrestling program due to a rules violation,” Taylor said in a statement. “We wish him well as he moves forward.”

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

7 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I see a lot of holier than thou takes on Williams , a lot of grown ass adults judging this kid but the reality is the kids father is in prison , his mother isn’t in his life and he doesn’t have much guidance , Coleman Scott and his wife were his support system last year and checked on him daily to try and keep him in line then after one year at school his support system is gone , I would bet 95 percent of you have no idea what’s it’s like to be 18 and have no parents to help you and no support system ( nevermind while wrestling D1 at one of the most prestigious programs in the sport) ,save your judgements and just hope this young man finds a place where he can get it right because the talent is there and he’s a great kid overall 

You're beating up a strawman here.  Nobody is judging Williams.  Almost every post in this thread is about Tayor and Cael.  

I think everyone is happy to extend understanding for JW and root for him to do well going forward.  

1 hour ago, jackwebster said:

This is funny for real lol

3 hours ago, Idaho said:

Haven't read a single post wishing him bad luck... if anything, I think everyone here hopes (as has been stated by many including myself) that he can turn things around. Who are you to say that he has not been offered help already? He actually did not fulfill his requirements from the incident last summer, which were meant to provide help.

"According to court records, Williams failed to report under supervision as of March 13 and had not completed the requirements of his deferred sentence as of Aug. 8; a drug and alcohol evaluation, 30 hours of community service, the completion of Oklahoma’s Alcohol and Drug Substance Abuse Course and attending a victim’s impact panel." 

This is a key piece. It's not just the two arrests. It's also failing to do what's required of you. If he didn't do the court ordered activities - which is honestly probably 4 days' worth of work - then what else isn't he doing? No knock on JW, I was young and got in trouble and didn't do stuff I was supposed to do too so I get it. I feel for the kid and have been rooting for him for several years now. It just finally caught up to him regarding his status on the team. Hopefully it's a wake up call to stop getting sloshed or at least reign it in while in public.

• Potato 1

3 minutes ago, alex1fly said:

This is funny for real lol

This is a key piece. It's not just the two arrests. It's also failing to do what's required of you. If he didn't do the court ordered activities - which is honestly probably 4 days' worth of work - then what else isn't he doing? No knock on JW, I was young and got in trouble and didn't do stuff I was supposed to do too so I get it. I feel for the kid and have been rooting for him for several years now. It just finally caught up to him regarding his status on the team. Hopefully it's a wake up call to stop getting sloshed or at least reign it in while in public.

How many second chances should a wrestler get: ten, fifteen, ... ? 

4 hours ago, ionel said:

How many second chances should a wrestler get: ten, fifteen, ... ? 

I take the view, that most people have a non-zero chance at redemption, no matter how far they've fallen.  Whether the juice is worth the squeeze for that organization in question is another story.  In the case of Jordan Williams, I don't see any red flags that you don't see from a lot young guys.  Its immaturity more than it is a character issue.  I like to see people continue to get chances if they are willing to improve themselves

1 hour ago, flyingcement said:

I take the view, that most people have a non-zero chance at redemption, no matter how far they've fallen.  Whether the juice is worth the squeeze for that organization in question is another story.  In the case of Jordan Williams, I don't see any red flags that you don't see from a lot young guys.  Its immaturity more than it is a character issue.  I like to see people continue to get chances if they are willing to improve themselves

I thought he had turned the corner till response to situation at B12 last spring but then he bounced back and did well at NCAA.

I would've liked to see him get another chance, maybe DT could turn him around.    But at what point do you just have to say nope that was the last one?  A coach can't continue to bend over backwards for a single athlete, if so whats that do to all the others.  They're paying DT $1M to coach the team not to baby sit individual athletes. 

Also, the team has rules, the athletic department has rules and the University has rules.  The team rules can be more restrictive than DIA or U but once you break University rules its kind've out of the coaches hand.

We know he had the previous DUI and broke probation and there had been other issues.  The latest report said property destruction.  Was that University property and if so maybe DT's job was simply that of informer?  

JW did have a good Instagram post indicating he understands, is well and thankful for a the OSU support.  Maybe a change will help turn the corner.  Sometimes life gives lessons.  

14 minutes ago, ionel said:

We know he had the previous DUI

You knew that before yesterday?  Odd that it never seemed to be reported really then.  I believe even Pistols Firing said they were not aware of it before yesterday 

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

You knew that before yesterday?  Odd that it never seemed to be reported really then.  I believe even Pistols Firing said they were not aware of it before yesterday 

Seems to be good for DT. Getting his house in order (and it is now HIS HOUSE.) Does send a clear message. We still don't know all of the details, nor will we likely ever. No need to quibble over things we don't know. What's done is done.

Also good for JW. If you find yourself in a bad situation, it's better to find a new spot with a new perspective. No need to point fingers or lay blame. It could be a personality conflict, it could be a lot of things. Doesn't matter.

I doubt anyone here thinks JW won't be successful at another program - he will.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see any bad guys or good guys here - just wrestling as it's always been.

• Bob 1

On 8/15/2024 at 9:18 PM, WrestlingRash said:

This is the dudes 2nd arrest He’s had multiple chances and sadly hes blown them all. I wish him the best and hope he gets the help he needs. 

Edited by TheJimReaper

28 minutes ago, TheJimReaper said:

This is the dudes 2nd arrest He’s had multiple chances and sadly hes blown them all. I wish him the best and hope he gets the help he needs. 

I've been arrested more than twice and turned out fine by the generic definition

• Haha 1