Olympic Wrestling...Day 3

Wicked throw from Serbia for four against Jacobson. Then, the American gets put down and gives up a gut. Was it a second gut? Were they out of bounds for the second gut? Or, was it a caution and one for fleeing? America challenges. Usually Payton is a ball of fire. He didn't start out that way in this match, but Komarov is a good-un and Payton could be pulled back in. 

26 minutes ago, oldschool said:

I'm guessing since she had Susaki from Japan first round that she wasn't really expecting to win that and just hydrated more than usual after weigh-ins.

Yeah makes sense she had to go for broke, but didn’t they go to two hour weigh ins? I can’t believe she beat an all time great like that right off the scale when she is cutting that much. She had an amazing tournament so far, so this must be heartbreaking 

6 minutes ago, Cowboy08 said:

when do the mens brackets get released for tomorrow?  Can't wait to see where Spencer gets put !

Sometime between 11-1 EDT

• Bob 3

i am an idiot on the internet

Serbian lost his next match - Jacobson is out.

MGR went 0W - 5L.  Coon did the best, I would say, right?  A 3-1 loss to a Bronze medal winner and defending world champion who defeated every other wrestler he faced by a wider margin?

• Bob 2

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

No doubt, when the FS begins tomorrow... this forum will have a bunch waking up in the early morning to watch and posting like a mutha!

(Yowza!)

D3

• Bob 2

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

A lot of folks losing their shit over Vinesh missing weight on Twatter.

While I am annoyed Hildebrandt doesn't just get awarded the gold, I understand that the rules are in place and have been in place for many months.

If you break the rules, you must suffer whatever consequences those rules state.

• Bob 2

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

lcXILLxKVF9NkS0JShJMc2QgXi89dZmE=&risl=&

D3

Edited by D3 for LU
  • Bob 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I also agree with them that she earned Silver at the very least.  It is a shame she missed weight.  She still missed weight, though.

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

A lot of folks losing their shit over Vinesh missing weight on Twatter.

While I am annoyed Hildebrandt doesn't just get awarded the gold, I understand that the rules are in place and have been in place for many months.

If you break the rules, you must suffer whatever consequences those rules state.

I actually thought Sarah would be disappointed not to have a chance to win the gold in a wrestling match. Reminded me of Zac Braunagel against Alan Vera in Final X, when Vera couldn't wrestle the third match. 

Now, in order to think that way, I have to think differently than Hildebrandt or Braunagel, who are true competitors. But as the "Forfeit King," who greatly appreciated, looked forward to, and heartily accepted all forfeits, that's how I normally would've felt. 

• Bob 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

I actually thought Sarah would be disappointed not to have a chance to win the gold in a wrestling match. Reminded me of Zac Braunagel against Alan Vera in Final X, when Vera couldn't wrestle the third match. 

Now, in order to think that way, I have to think differently than Hildebrandt or Braunagel, who are true competitors. But as the "Forfeit King," who greatly appreciated, looked forward to, and heartily accepted all forfeits, that's how I normally would've felt. 

No, Hildebrandt will now wrestle Cuba's Guzman for gold.

The rules are in place to the point where they plan for missed weight, if needed.

• Bob 1

So Lee will go up against China's Zou... the one wrestler that gave Spencer the toughest match at that Last Chance Oly-qualifier.

OIP.3NeQWYBSPnLEr8daxWw21gAAAA?rs=1&pid=

D3

• Bob 1

3 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

Excited for tomorrow. 

No idea what to expect. Tough draws for both right off the bat. Should be exciting

Without Taylor, Dauletbekov was the 2nd most proven wrestler in this bracket.  I fully expect him to win Bronze if (when) Brooks beats him.

I think we see the Top 4 guys get all four medals at this weight.

• Fire 1

Brooks going up against the 1st seed @ 86Kg... but Yazdani is in the lower bracket at 2nd seed.

(At least some separation.)

D3

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Without Taylor, Dauletbekov was the 2nd most proven wrestler in this bracket.  I fully expect him to win Bronze if (when) Brooks beats him.

I think we see the Top 4 guys get all four medals at this weight.

I've been looking at his last 2 worlds. lol DT has been a thorn to ole boy. Brooks has his hands full, but in a loss he should get brought back in. Lets just hope he wins 
I don't mind Spicey Lee's draw either but no idea what to expect in the first or second rounds 

• Bob 1

For all us LEHIGH fans out there... Darian Cruz has a decent draw insomuch that he could potentially win his bout vs Mohamed of Egypt... w/ his next bout vs Higuchi (1st seed) of Japan.

This could lead a CHANCE to medal for bronze (I'm just sayin', chance! )

Fingers crossed!

D3

• Bob 1

7 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

I've been looking at his last 2 worlds. lol DT has been a thorn to ole boy. Brooks has his hands full, but in a loss he should get brought back in. Lets just hope he wins 
I don't mind Spicey Lee's draw either but no idea what to expect in the first or second rounds 

Zou is a large 57 KG guy who can also handfight.  I actually expect Lee to attempt to make quick work of him this time.  He already knows if he lets him stay in the match, it is going to be a dogfight and you don't want that in a Round 1 matchup.

Ishiguro is also a tough next match.  He had kind of a brain fart at Worlds last year, but aside for that he has only lost to the elite as well.  He also holds the last victory in the series with both Aaron Brooks and Dauletbekov.  He pulled off a Techfellery via 11-0 on Valencia at 2023 Zegrab.

Edited by nhs67
  • Bob 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, bnwtwg said:

I know it's the olympics and not worlds and everyone is tough yadda yadda yadda, but the USA draws have been absolutely ruthless this week.

Eh, I mean Greco we lose to basically everyone, so a "good" draw seems hard to come by. 

Amit has pinned Tosun already and crushed her. 
Sarah avoided Susaki. 
Dom Parrish got 100% shot at repechage. 
Brooks avoided Yazdani/Kurugliev 
Spicey Lee avoided Higuchi/Abakarov/Aman

Not the worst draws

• Bob 1