Olympic Wrestling...Day 3

3 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

Either A.) he was a lot of action with no follow-through (Which is what I'm thinking they saw, other dude always bounced off and got one foot back in center) 
or
B.) They put Joe down first intending on giving him the second period dominant position (assuming he doesn't get tossed in the first)....... also something I feel like they do sometimes. 

You're right though, 5 was just too big a hole. If they wrestled again right now, probably a different match 

Maybe... remember, this is Greco, right? 😏

D3

• Haha 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Just now, Spladle08 said:

Dom Parrish surprises me when it matters.  
Will this morning be one of those times. 

literally every ounce of me thinks she gets teched. 
I guess she'll probably win 5-4

We'll go with that one!

D3

• Bob 2
  • Fire 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Just now, D3 for LU said:

Maybe... remember, this is Greco, right? 😏

D3

I swear. lol I'm trying to look at this like when I watch wrestling with my moms husband. He's folkstyle through and through so he can't understand how shot-fakes aren't "action" in freestyle..... He's like we had 20 more shots than that guy in the opening 2 minutes why are we on the clock? 
I'm trying to look at Greco the same. I don't wanna be like "we snapped the head 5x there we should never be down"

Speaking of Greco. We need to win a match soon, figured we'd get 3ish wins. Getting nervous 

• Bob 1

9 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Leg foul. I think his front head and arm was as much to see if he could catch him off guard and throw him but more to try to force the trapped arm into contacting his leg when it crosses down like it does.

I saw the hand on the hip, but I thought you had to actually use it or...gain an advantage, that incidental contact wasn't a foul.

Is that not the case, just getting him to touch it is enough or do you think he blocked off on the hip? 

(This sport is the same I wrestled ~20 years ago and so different). 

• Bob 1

Just now, scourge165 said:

I saw the hand on the hip, but I thought you had to actually use it or...gain an advantage, that incidental contact wasn't a foul.

Is that not the case, just getting him to touch it is enough or do you think he blocked off on the hip? 

(This sport is the same I wrestled ~20 years ago and so different). 

I was surprised when I saw the two go up but then I realized what it was for. There was a caution block showing in the graphic. And nobody complained so might have been more there than we saw from this perspective.

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1
  • Wrestle 1

#1 seed @ 53Kg form Ecuador had all she could handle w/ the PRK wrestler... but came out on top.

(Where in HE-double toothpicks, do the PRK wrestlers come out of the woodwork come Olympic games?!?)

D3

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I was surprised when I saw the two go up but then I realized what it was for. There was a caution block showing in the graphic. And nobody complained so might have been more there than we saw from this perspective.

It doesn't take much if you have your arm in that...head pinch to just kinda straighten it and you're blocking off the leg. Up 4 there, if he thought Rau was gonna score, makes sense. 

I didn't see it, but I wasn't looking for it. 

Makes sense though. 

• Bob 1

16 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

Either A.) he was a lot of action with no follow-through (Which is what I'm thinking they saw, other dude always bounced off and got one foot back in center) 
or
B.) They put Joe down first intending on giving him the second period dominant position (assuming he doesn't get tossed in the first)....... also something I feel like they do sometimes. 

You're right though, 5 was just too big a hole. If they wrestled again right now, probably a different match 

Your "B" is what I thought. I feel that they do that sometimes as well. Unfortunately, it is virtually indistinguishable from unfair favoritism or abject incompetence. I think that refs do a great job 99% of the time, so I like to think the best of them. Appreciate your response! 

• Wrestle 1
  • Stalling 1

It's getting late in the hour and I'll have to depart for work... Dom Parrish's match is 4th on the que for Mat B.

I'm afraid I'll be missing that one... tell me all about it (when I catch up at work.)

D3

• Bob 2

3 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Your "B" is what I thought. I feel that they do that sometimes as well. Unfortunately, it is virtually indistinguishable from unfair favoritism or abject incompetence. I think that refs do a great job 99% of the time, so I like to think the best of them. Appreciate your response! 

From my view, the ref made motions and said something about Rau just pushing and keeping his head down when he awarded the passivity.

The caution and 2 was for something with Rau’s hip. I didn’t see it live but that’s the motion he made. 

1 hour ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

I wake up at 4am Eastern to watch Joe Rau wrestle, and Peacock says wait another hour. Then, I find out that India's 50kg wrestler didn't make weight for the Gold Medal match, and that Debby is apparently going to plant herself over my house for three days and rain continuously. 

Are these all somehow related? Where is my corkboard! 

Debby visited this past weekend.  Lots and lots and lots of water.

• Stalling 1

here's hoping Parrish does well in the repechange; 99% sure she'll get pulled in.

Payton Jacobson's in the hole on mat C. I believe it's his first senior world team – maybe he'll buck the USA greco trend? 👀

• Bob 1

17 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Just learned that WFS 50kg Vinesh Phogat has been hospitalized after spending all night trying to cut to make weight for the finals. Hope she recovers soon.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C-XFbeIuJta/?igsh=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng%3D%3D

Wow! That is crazy… how did she wrestle so well yesterday when she was cutting that much weight?! She looked amazing yesterday. Hopefully, she is ok and fully recovers

Just now, Eagle26 said:

Wow! That is crazy… how did she wrestle so well yesterday when she was cutting that much weight?! She looked amazing yesterday. Hopefully, she is ok and fully recovers

I'm guessing since she had Susaki from Japan first round that she wasn't really expecting to win that and just hydrated more than usual after weigh-ins.