Olympic Wrestling...Day 3

Brackets are out.

Both Dom Parrish (53) and Jacobson (87) have tough goes in the first round.

Dom drew 3rd seed Fujinami of Japan, whose list of accomplishments on UWW include a slew of all-gold medals and wins by tech going back to Cadets in 2018.

Jacobson drew the 7th seed Serbian, Komarov: Reigning European Champ and U23 World Champ in 2021. 

Of course, there is no easy draw at the olympics...And the first two Japanese women surprised us. 

• Bob 3

I'm not interested in stealing your thunder, @D3 for LU! Thanks for getting up early and weighing in😉

I'm just excited for Dom Parrish. 🤩

The whole women's team, tbh.

I might regret framing it this way...but a couple Japanese women faltering opens the door for team USA to do something nobody thought they'd do any time soon, and I'd really like for the fastest growing sport in the USA to have something affirming to celebrate. 

• Bob 4

Absolutely NO thunder was stolen here... keep the ball rolling, bro.

(... AND USA women's FS team as well.)

D3

• Bob 2
  • Fire 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

From Team India X page.

"It is with regret that the Indian contingent shares news of the disqualification of Vinesh Phogat from the Women’s Wrestling 50kg class. Despite the best efforts by the team through the night, she weighed in a few grams over 50kg this morning. No further comments will be made by the contingent at this time. The Indian team requests you respect Vinesh’s privacy. It would like to focus on the competitions on hand."

• Bob 1
  • Pirate 1

I wake up at 4am Eastern to watch Joe Rau wrestle, and Peacock says wait another hour. Then, I find out that India's 50kg wrestler didn't make weight for the Gold Medal match, and that Debby is apparently going to plant herself over my house for three days and rain continuously. 

Are these all somehow related? Where is my corkboard! 

• Bob 1

So I guess it'll be Yusneylis Guzman (Cuba) vs Sarah Hildebrandt in the finals of WFS 50kg?

And does that mean Vinesh doesn't medal at all since she's been DQ'ed? If so, that's crazy; she earned her right on the podium just by making the finals.

• Bob 1

2 minutes ago, oldschool said:

So I guess it'll be Yusneylis Guzman (Cuba) vs Sarah Hildebrandt in the finals of WFS 50kg?

And does that mean Vinesh doesn't medal at all since she's been DQ'ed? If so, that's crazy; she earned her right on the podium just by making the finals.

UWW rules seem to be she gets removed completely from the bracket lien she never existed. Which, I don’t like. I think she should still get silver as she did all the work yesterday. It’s not like it didn’t happen. She earned the finals and should just not be given the opportunity to wrestle for the gold. 

• Bob 1

7 minutes ago, oldschool said:

I was about to ask the same thing.  By not making weight day 2 she is removed from the tourney and loses her silver?  Is that how it works?

Edit:  I just found the article below, and that is how it works.  USA vs Cuba for Gold.  Brutal for Vinesh.

https://olympics.com/en/news/paris-2024-olympics-vinesh-phogat-disqualification-overweight-50kg

Edited by Bulldog
  • Bob 1

In Barcelona '92, Shawn Sheldon didn't make weight for the 52Kg wt. cl. on the day he was going to go for bronze.

He wound up in 4th place. / Greco Roman.

D3

• Bob 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Well... looks like your thread won out, denger (good sportmanship Spladel ! 😎)

Showtime for Day 3 in a minute!

D3

Edited by D3 for LU
  • Bob 2
  • Wrestle 1
  • Stalling 1