2001 Miami Hurricanes Equivalent

I’m sure @Wrestleknownothing has the statistics and information handy, but I’m curious as to who fans, experts, and veterans alike would crown the equivalent to the 2001 Miami Hurricanes football team in that they dominated everyone, had a record 38 NFL draft picks, and a combined total of 43 trips to the Pro Bowl. So, in wrestling, because there is no professional league, what team throughout history dominated their competition and had the most Olympic and World Team members and medals?

Edited by blueandgold

9 hours ago, Smsu150 said:

Just guessing, but I know the 84 Olympic team had 4 Hawkeyes, but I'm not sure if they were all in college at the same time.  Maybe 1981. 

Maybe Iowa State 1970.  

I'd argue that Oklahoma same era had significantly better international success. Iowa had Banach bros, Lewis, and Davis with those '84 Games results and handful of other notable honors, but Oklahoma with Schultz brothers + Metzger, OU wins that international medal, teams made, etc. count handily. 

On 8/4/2024 at 5:57 PM, blueandgold said:

what team throughout history dominated their competition and had the most Olympic and World Team members and medals?

This part seems like an overall total to me...:classic_unsure:

There's no way to compare the two.  This is a question for college football fans. Sounds like someone loves the hurricanes, they've been back for the last 23 years. All time great team but haven't been anything since. I think someone threw the flag for pass interference from the stands, it was that late.

Any recent teams with 3 or more Olympians?

I’ve got 2019 and 2022 Michigan with 3 (Micic, Amine, Parris).   2019 also had Pantaleo who made a world team right?  2022 had Suriano but I guess he never made a world team?

28 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Any recent teams with 3 or more Olympians?

I’ve got 2019 and 2022 Michigan with 3 (Micic, Amine, Parris).   2019 also had Pantaleo who made a world team right?  2022 had Suriano but I guess he never made a world team?

Penn State would've tied with 3 if Nick Lee made the team with AB and RBY for Mexico

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

Just now, PortaJohn said:

Penn State

I’m not seeing where they would’ve had more than 2 on the same team.

Brooks graduated 2024

Zain graduated 2018

Taylor graduated 2014 (was on 1 team with Zain)

Molinaro graduated 2012 I believe (so would’ve been on a team with Taylor)

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

I’m not seeing where they would’ve had more than 2 on the same team.

Brooks graduated 2024

Zain graduated 2018

Taylor graduated 2014 (was on 1 team with Zain)

Molinaro graduated 2012 I believe (so would’ve been on a team with Taylor)

Hit enter by accident before finishing my post. 

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

Using @blueandgold's original premise of a single year (2001 Hurricanes) I think it has to be the 1981 Hawkeyes.

In addition to winning the NCAA tournament that year, the roster went on to produce four Olympians (Barry Davis, Randy Lewis, Ed Banach, Lou Banach) who won three golds and a silver. They also produced 2 silvers at Worlds.

That roster also produced five Hall of Famers. All four of the Olympians are in the Distinguished Members wing of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame along with Jim Zalesky.

In addition, Lennie Zalesky, Jim Zalesky and Mike DeAnna each went on to have distinguished coaching careers.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

23 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Using @blueandgold's original premise of a single year (2001 Hurricanes) I think it has to be the 1981 Hawkeyes.

In addition to winning the NCAA tournament that year, the roster went on to produce four Olympians (Barry Davis, Randy Lewis, Ed Banach, Lou Banach) who won three golds and a silver. They also produced 2 silvers at Worlds.

That roster also produced five Hall of Famers. All four of the Olympians are in the Distinguished Members wing of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame along with Jim Zalesky.

In addition, Lennie Zalesky, Jim Zalesky and Mike DeAnna each went on to have distinguished coaching careers.

That's insane!

27 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I dunno, is 3 Olympians in the 6 weight era better than 4 Olympians in the 10 weight class era?

The Iowa medal output is better though although Michigan isn’t too shabby and could improve.

Micic - World champ, world bronze, 2021 Olympics DNP

Amine - 2021 Olympic bronze, world bronze

Parris - World bronze, Olympics TBD

2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I dunno, is 3 Olympians in the 6 weight era better than 4 Olympians in the 10 weight class era?

The Iowa medal output is better though although Michigan isn’t too shabby and could improve.

Micic - World champ, world bronze, 2021 Olympics DNP

Amine - 2021 Olympic bronze, world bronze

Parris - World bronze, Olympics TBD

Michigan doesn't fit the criteria. They did not win at the collegiate level, going 5, 5, 2 in the three years these guys overlapped.

As for 6 weights versus 10 weights. It is really not the same when it is 3 countries to access the 6 weights. At a minimum it is 3 of 8 weight equivalents, or 37.5% versus 4 of 10, or 40%.

The knock on the 1981 Hawkeyes is that they won all of their Olympic medals at the boycotted 1984 games, but it is hard to ignore the four HOFers, or coaching accomplishments. Given time maybe the Wolverines could match the coaching success, but I do not see a fourth HOFer on any f their rosters.

4 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Michigan doesn't fit the criteria. They did not win at the collegiate level, going 5, 5, 2 in the three years these guys overlapped.

As for 6 weights versus 10 weights. It is really not the same when it is 3 countries to access the 6 weights. At a minimum it is 3 of 8 weight equivalents, or 37.5% versus 4 of 10, or 40%.

The knock on the 1981 Hawkeyes is that they won all of their Olympic medals at the boycotted 1984 games, but it is hard to ignore the four HOFers, or coaching accomplishments. Given time maybe the Wolverines could match the coaching success, but I do not see a fourth HOFer on any f their rosters.

Good point on the college results.

But if we’re talking qualifying for the Olympics and world medals, I’m not so sure the country they’re representing really matters though.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Good point on the college results.

But if we’re talking qualifying for the Olympics and world medals, I’m not so sure the country they’re representing really matters though.

Sure it does. You mentioned it is harder to make the Olympics with six weights. A big part of that is how crowded the domestic competition is to be the guy at that reduced number of weights. Amine did not have to run the US gauntlet for the World team before getting a chance to get an Olympic quota. In San Marino Amine gets a bye. And he chose that route because he could not beat the domestic competition.

18 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Sure it does. You mentioned it is harder to make the Olympics with six weights. A big part of that is how crowded the domestic competition is to be the guy at that reduced number of weights. Amine did not have to run the US gauntlet for the World team before getting a chance to get an Olympic quota. In San Marino Amine gets a bye. And he chose that route because he could not beat the domestic competition.

Edited by bnwtwg
this is only 98% trolling

i am an idiot on the internet

All of these comparisons in the international wrestling world have to be split              <2000>  

You simply cannot compare medal counts between 10 weights with 1 Russian, and 6-8 weights with multiple Russians. 

Yea the satellites were their own federation in ‘96, but they didn’t have their shit together yet and there were still ten weights.