Iran & Israel at the Olympics

Reportedly, Israel just launched an air strike on Iranian territory, killing Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh — ie, the leader of an Iranian-backed group — who was in Iran as a guest.

I’m no expert on this sort of stuff, but it seems like Iran will respond. I have no idea what the response could be, but I assume it could potentially be big enough to affect the Olympics.

Edited by peanut
  • Bob 1

• peanut changed the title to Iran & Israel at the Olympics

I don’t know because I will not be watching the Olympics for the first time after that filth they presented to the world but I will say this. All this hate for one another by some nations should be publicly denounced by everyone there when the opportunity arises. When will there be another time when every nation not only competes with one another but gets to know one another outside of the event. They are rooming in the same hotels together, eating at the same restaurants and just exploring the surroundings, and you know what I bet everyone gets along. Perhaps those from feuding nations can set an example by getting along and doing so publicly. Not sure of the outcome but I do not see this latest Mideast event negatively impacting the Olympics.

Edited by Rassling
  • Haha 1
  • Clown 4

1 hour ago, peanut said:

Reportedly, Israel just launched an air strike on Iranian territory, killing Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh — ie, the leader of an Iranian-backed group — who was in Iran as a guest.

I’m no expert on this sort of stuff, but it seems like Iran will respond. I have no idea what the response could be, but I assume it could potentially be big enough to affect the Olympics.

I’m no expert on this either but the report said he was killed at “his” residence in Iran, so wouldn’t say he was really just a “guest”

• Clown 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Rassling said:

I don’t know because I will not be watching the Olympics for the first time after that filth they presented to the world but I will say this. All this hate for one another by some nations should be publicly denounced by everyone there when the opportunity arises. When will there be another time when every nation not only competes with one another but gets to know one another outside of the event. They are rooming in the same hotels together, eating at the same restaurants and just exploring the surroundings, and you know what I bet everyone gets along. Perhaps those from feuding nations can set an example by getting along and doing so publicly. Not sure of the outcome but I do not see this latest Mideast event negatively impacting the Olympics.

What I think may be possible is an escalation of the conflict in the coming days, followed by Iran and/or Israel pulling out of the Games.

Reportedly, Israel also just carried out a strike in Lebanon against a Hezbollah commander — and Hezbollah is aligned with Iran.

Sounds like a precarious situation out there. This could become a larger conflict.

Edited by peanut

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

I’m no expert on this either but the report said he was killed at “his” residence in Iran, so wouldn’t say he was really just a “guest”

He had been living in Qatar but was visiting Iran for the inauguration of their new president. 

1 minute ago, peanut said:

What I think may be possible is an escalation of the conflict in the coming days, followed by Iran and/or Israel pulling out of the Games.

Reportedly, Israel also just carried out a strike in Lebanon against a Hezbollah commander — and Hezbollah is aligned with Iran.

Sounds like a precarious situation out there. This could become a larger conflict.

Crazy world we live in.

1 minute ago, peanut said:

He had been living in Qatar but was visiting Iran for the inauguration of their new president. 

So he has multiple homes in various countries?  Didn’t realize leading a terrorist organization was so lucrative

6 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

So he has multiple homes in various countries?  Didn’t realize leading a terrorist organization was so lucrative

Haniyeh’s net worth was reportedly around $4.5 billion.

Nevertheless, not sure it was his own residence in Tehran that was targeted. May have been a hotel or something. Reports aren’t clear yet. 

1 hour ago, Rassling said:

1) As a wrestling fan, not watching the pinnacle of the sport which only happens once every 4 years because you were offended by 30 seconds of a 4 hour opening ceremony seems like a weird hill to die on.  But it’s a free country and you’re welcome to do that.

2) Speaking of free countries, France is one as well, which the creative director specifically pointed out in saying that the opening ceremony was not meant to mock anyone and wanted to show inclusion.  Your comment implies you think there is “filth” associated with LGBT folks, which seems hypocritical when compared to your other comments about wanting to see less hate (which I agree with).

• Fire 1
  • Clown 1

8 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

1) As a wrestling fan, not watching the pinnacle of the sport which only happens once every 4 years because you were offended by 30 seconds of a 4 hour opening ceremony seems like a weird hill to die on.  But it’s a free country and you’re welcome to do that.

2) Speaking of free countries, France is one as well, which the creative director specifically pointed out in saying that the opening ceremony was not meant to mock anyone and wanted to show inclusion.  Your comment implies you think there is “filth” associated with LGBT folks, which seems hypocritical when compared to your other comments about wanting to see less hate (which I agree with).

Galatians 6:7 - applicable to any religion in my mind, including those you are AFRAID to take shots at. 

oh I’ll be watching the wrestling matches alright, just not live. There will plenty of replays on the web so I’m not too concerned on missing the action.

• Clown 1

1 hour ago, Rassling said:

Galatians 6:7 - applicable to any religion in my mind, including those you are AFRAID to take shots at. 

oh I’ll be watching the wrestling matches alright, just not live. There will plenty of replays on the web so I’m not too concerned on missing the action.

Ok then so you’re not really boycotting 

• Bob 1

4 hours ago, Rassling said:

I don’t know because I will not be watching the Olympics for the first time after that filth they presented to the world but I will say this. 

What was the filth that was presented?

Posted (edited)

Just now an unconfirmed report of an Iranian military commander being killed in Syria. A larger regional conflict seems possible — as does Iran and/or Israel and/or others pulling out of the Olympics. 

Again, I know nothing of international politics. I’m just a random observer. But this does not seem like a normal news cycle lately. 

Edited by peanut

1 hour ago, peanut said:

A lot of Americans are unfamiliar with what the French are like. It’s a non-story. 

No idea.  I didn't see the story.  Searched filth Olympics and it brought up stories on the triathlon and the dirty river where the swimming section took place.

6 hours ago, Rassling said:

"Everyone should set aside their differences, accept one another, and just get along. Now excuse me while I boycott the Olympics because the French do not align with my personal views of moral decency"

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1
  • Clown 1

31 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

"Everyone should set aside their differences, accept one another, and just get along. Now excuse me while I boycott the Olympics because the French do not align with my personal views of moral decency"

You’re in the minority, WORLDWIDE, trust me forum favorite.

• Clown 1

2 hours ago, fishbane said:

He/she bought into the mockrage that erupted when conservatives in the US misinterpreted a presentation (by drag queens) of the Feast of Dionysus (you know, an ancient Greek festival, like the Olympics) as a depiction of da Vinci's Last Supper (an Italian painting).  Perfectly understandable.

7 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I think he is basically a politician

Edited by juniorvarsity
being nice

7 hours ago, peanut said:

That would be a shame. They really ought to exhaust all options to ensure these two countries do not have to compete against one another in Paris due to the required forfeiting from Iran. Altering brackets and opponents goes against the spirit of competition in doing this, but it just needs to happen. 

10 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

That would be a shame. They really ought to exhaust all options to ensure these two countries do not have to compete against one another in Paris due to the required forfeiting from Iran. Altering brackets and opponents goes against the spirit of competition in doing this, but it just needs to happen. 

Not only is Iran forfeiting not required, it is also against the entire spirit of the games, and those who engage in it should not be enabled to continue to compete on the international stage. 

• Fire 1

23 hours ago, fishbane said:

I do not admire when zealots bend over backward to construe artistic expression as a purported unfair attack on their faith - in this case they read in a parody to a small slice of the opening ceremony that was not intended to emphasize their victimhood.   Reminds me of the similuation of injury in soccer and then you go to the replay and any contact was minimial.  I do not see that victimhood in this case - sad.    

10 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

Not only is Iran forfeiting not required, it is also against the entire spirit of the games, and those who engage in it should not be enabled to continue to compete on the international stage. 

As I mentioned in a thread regarding the ban on Russia - if the IOC had banned them for the rampant cheating during Sochi it wouldn't be tying itself into knots trying to ban them for these Paris games - the solution here is simple.

The next time an Iranian refuses to compete against an Israeli, the IOC should throw all of the Iranians in that sport out of the games and tell Iran if it happens in another sport the entire country will be banned from Paris and LA.

I don't care what your politics are. The Olympics are supposed to be about sport and above politics. (I know, I know). The Iranians are the ones refusing to compete due to politics so they are to blame.

This nonsense has now spread to other countries and other sports (judo, with the lack of sportsmanship shown to Israeli competitors) and it has to stop. 

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1
  • Fire 1

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com