Quadrenniel Olympics Rant

The Olympics have always been among my favorite athletic events. For the most part, it’s still up there, but every Olympic cycle it becomes a bit more frustrating. Why? Because there are a number of Olympic competitions that cheapen what it has traditionally meant to win an Olympic gold medal. I would consider them to fall into one of the two following categories:

1. non-sports - example would be shooting or equestrian. There are competitors in these competitions that are literally in their 40s or 50s and well past their athletic peak.

2. Could technically be considered a sport but not a real test of athleticism or widely participated in the same way that more classic Olympic events like Track, swimming or wrestling are. Some examples would be skateboarding or BMX racing.

The 2024 Summer Olympics will have 32 “sports”. By my count a third to a half fit the two conditions above.

Off the top of my head break dancing, BMX racing, equestrian, sailing and skateboarding are competitions that don’t belong in the Olympics. A gold medal winner in these is in no way comparable to a gold medal winning runner or swimmer.

It’s a shame what the Olympics are turning into. They lose the prestige it means to win a gold a little more every cycle.

Ok, rant over. Let the games begin.

Edited by BuckyBadger
  • Bob 2
  • Fire 1

Posted (edited)

Probably because they aren’t really accessible to most. How many can afford a horse or to go sailing? These are competitions limited to the upper class and probably only have thousands to tens of thousands of participants worldwide. No way they belong in the Olympics.

Edited by BuckyBadger

28 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

The Olympics have always been among my favorite athletic events. For the most part, it’s still up there, but every Olympic cycle it becomes a bit more frustrating. Why? Because there are a number of Olympic competitions that cheapen what it has traditionally meant to win an Olympic gold medal. I would consider them to fall into one of the two following categories:

1. non-sports - example would be shooting or equestrian. There are competitors in these competitions that are literally in their 40s or 50s and well past their athletic peak.

2. Could technically be considered a sport but not a real test of athleticism or widely participated in the same way that more classic Olympic events like Track, swimming or wrestling are. Some examples would be skateboarding or BMX racing.

The 2024 Summer Olympics will have 32 “sports”. By my count a third to a half fit the two conditions above.

Off the top of my head break dancing, BMX racing, equestrian, sailing and skateboarding are competitions that don’t belong in the Olympics. A gold medal winner in these is in no way comparable to a gold medal winning runner or swimmer.

It’s a shame what the Olympics are turning into. They lose the prestige it means to win a gold a little more every cycle.

I agree on equestrian as the athlete is the horse.  Regarding shooting sports I'm again in favor as long as the first to be eliminated is basketball. 

Basketball meant something when it was amateur.   But like soccer, and tennis, there are bigger competitions than the Olympics for them.   Its a shame to waste space on them.  

mspart

BMX racing athletes are incredibly athletic.

That’s a bat shit crazy take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/25/2024 at 3:19 PM, BuckyBadger said:

What's happening isn't really about "what the Olympics are turning into." It really isn't.

It's more about the goal of the Olympics to mirror what the sporting world is doing in order to stay in touch. To stay relevant, to keep getting ad sponsors, and to keep existing are the end goals for those behind the Olympics effort.

The Olympics have always been somewhat of a mirror of what was currently popular in sporting events.

That hasn't changed.

9 minutes ago, RockLobster said:

What's happening isn't really about "what the Olympics are turning into." It really isn't.

It's more about the goal of the Olympics to mirror what the sporting world is doing in order to stay in touch. To stay relevant, to keep getting ad sponsors, and to keep existing are the end goals for those behind the Olympics effort.

The Olympics have always been somewhat of a mirror of what was currently popular in sporting events.

That hasn't changed.

Pickleball ... maybe in 4 years?

• Bob 1

Just watched one of the new Olympic non sports called breaking. This is nuts. Next they are going to have a lawn mowing competition, shrub trimming competition and of course my favorite cooking on the grill competition.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

Just watched one of the new Olympic non sports called breaking. This is nuts. Next they are going to have a lawn mowing competition, shrub trimming competition and of course my favorite cooking on the grill competition.

I’ve been told the trials are being held in South Florida… 

• Bob 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

I hear we have some top grill master's on the team, and it should be a clean sweep for team USA.

13 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Had you heard of or watched the breaking.

Edited by Paul158
missed a word

2 hours ago, Paul158 said:

My point exactly. Break dancing is among the worst examples.

• Bob 2