Who are the top 5 D1 College HWTS of all time?

1 hour ago, NM1965 said:

Who are you referring to? 

that you have steveson #1 on a list of college HWYs. No offense, this is one of my opinions that most people seem to think is stupid.

• Bob 1
  • Ionel 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

11 minutes ago, NormMacDonald said:

I’d put Angle and Gwiz at 4 and 5. Angle should have been a 3X and Gwiz had a great match against Snyder in the finals. 

So we are going with the shoulda now?  In that case Hutton shoulda been a 4x undefeated NC if not for a tie match in finals his Jr year and a silly referee decision.  If that'd been the case we'd never have been talking about that Cael guy.  🙄

• Ionel 1

19 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

this is one of my opinions that most people seem to think is stupid.

14 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

I don't believe this one is stupid...

You can trust MP on this one.  He knows stupid when he sees it.  If MP says it ain't stupid you are good.  🙂

• Ionel 1

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The case for Steveson has to be based on highest high rather than any sustained success. But if that is the criteria I think Snyder pips him. Steveson has 2 AAs, 2 titles, and an Olympic Gold while in college. Meanwhile Snyder has 3 AAs, 3 titles, and an Olympic Gold while in college. Do you ding Snyder for having his gold at 97kg, or do you acknowledge that 97kg (~213 lb) is still heavy in college?

Synder gets dinged because he lost a match his senior year where Gable was pretty much untouchable his last two years. 

• Bob 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

that you have steveson #1 on a list of college HWYs. No offense, this is one of my opinions that most people seem to think is stupid.

Nobody else seems to have a problem with me putting Gable first. In fact, most here seem to agree with me. Also, your complaint is illogical. Would it MATTER if Gable never wrestled another college match? What heavies do you think would beat him? I don't think your opinion is stupid,  but I do disagree with you. 

Edited by NM1965

2 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

Nobody else seems to have a problem with me putting Gable first. In fact, most here seem to agree with me. Also, your complaint is illogical. Would it MATTER if Gable never wrestled another college match? What heavies do you think would beat him? 

well at least one person seems to agree.

But moving forward, you think greatest is the person, who in their prime, could beat anyone else in their prime? I presume that's your criteria? I'm being logical so I won't rush ahead before we know what we're talking about.

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The case for Steveson has to be based on highest high rather than any sustained success. But if that is the criteria I think Snyder pips him. Steveson has 2 AAs, 2 titles, and an Olympic Gold while in college. Meanwhile Snyder has 3 AAs, 3 titles, and an Olympic Gold while in college. Do you ding Snyder for having his gold at 97kg, or do you acknowledge that 97kg (~213 lb) is still heavy in college?

For me I have Snyder, Steveson, Hutton, Haselrig, and Mocco as my top 5.  

I think part of Steveson being so highly regarded is how he won his title.  He crushed 2X world medalist Gwiz in two matches to make the team.  Then he beat 4X Olympic and World champ Akgul in the semis 8-0.  Then he beat 3X world reigning champ Petiashvili in the gold medal match.  So that's the next best USA heavy of the past decade, and the two best international heavies of the past decade in a single gold medal run.  Snyder has a comparable win over Sadulaev, but it didn't come while he was in college.  He doesn't have a win on the level of Akgul or Petriashvilli while still in college.  He also didn't have to beat anyone domestic at Gwiz' level.  Steveson had probably the best couple month run of any college kid ever at any weight.  

And I agree Mocco is hanging around the top 5, but I can't put him over Konrad who had his way with him while both were at their peak.  

• Bob 1

Hodge Award winners..

2023 Mason Parris 285 Senior Michigan
2022 Gable Steveson 285 Senior Minnesota
2021 Spencer Lee & Gable Steveson 125, 285 Senior, Junior Iowa, Minnesota
2020 Spencer Lee 125 Junior Iowa
2019 Bo Nickal 197 Senior Penn State
2018 Zain Retherford 149 Senior Penn State
2017 Zain Retherford 149 Junior Penn State
2016 Alex Dieringer 165 Senior Oklahoma State
2015 Logan Stieber 141 Senior Ohio State
2014 David Taylor 165 Senior Penn State
2013 Kyle Dake 165 Senior Cornell 
2012 David Taylor 165 Sophomore Penn State
2011 Jordan Burroughs 165 Senior Nebraska
2010 Jayson Ness 133 Senior Minnesota
2009 Jake Herbert 184 Senior Northwestern
2008 Brent Metcalf 149 Sophomore Iowa
2007 Ben Askren 174 Senior Missouri
2006 Ben Askren 174 Junior Missouri
2005 Steve Mocco 285 Junior Oklahoma State
2004 Emmett Willson 197 Senior Mont. State-Northern
2003 Eric Larkin 149 Senior Arizona State
2002 Cael Sanderson 197 Senior Iowa State
2001 Cael Sanderson & Nick Ackerman 184, 174 Junior, Senior Iowa State, Simpson College
2000 Cael Sanderson 184 Sophomore Iowa State
1999 Stephen Neal 285 Senior CSU Bakersfield
1998 Mark Ironside 134 Senior Iowa
1997 Kerry McCoy 285 Senior Penn State
1996 Les Gutches 177 Senior Oregon State
1995 T.J. Jaworsky 134 Senior North Carolina

1 hour ago, GreatDane67 said:

Hodge Award winners..

2023 Mason Parris 285 Senior Michigan
2022 Gable Steveson 285 Senior Minnesota
2021 Spencer Lee & Gable Steveson 125, 285 Senior, Junior Iowa, Minnesota
2020 Spencer Lee 125 Junior Iowa
2019 Bo Nickal 197 Senior Penn State
2018 Zain Retherford 149 Senior Penn State
2017 Zain Retherford 149 Junior Penn State
2016 Alex Dieringer 165 Senior Oklahoma State
2015 Logan Stieber 141 Senior Ohio State
2014 David Taylor 165 Senior Penn State
2013 Kyle Dake 165 Senior Cornell 
2012 David Taylor 165 Sophomore Penn State
2011 Jordan Burroughs 165 Senior Nebraska
2010 Jayson Ness 133 Senior Minnesota
2009 Jake Herbert 184 Senior Northwestern
2008 Brent Metcalf 149 Sophomore Iowa
2007 Ben Askren 174 Senior Missouri
2006 Ben Askren 174 Junior Missouri
2005 Steve Mocco 285 Junior Oklahoma State
2004 Emmett Willson 197 Senior Mont. State-Northern
2003 Eric Larkin 149 Senior Arizona State
2002 Cael Sanderson 197 Senior Iowa State
2001 Cael Sanderson & Nick Ackerman 184, 174 Junior, Senior Iowa State, Simpson College
2000 Cael Sanderson 184 Sophomore Iowa State
1999 Stephen Neal 285 Senior CSU Bakersfield
1998 Mark Ironside 134 Senior Iowa
1997 Kerry McCoy 285 Senior Penn State
1996 Les Gutches 177 Senior Oregon State
1995 T.J. Jaworsky 134 Senior North Carolina

That formatting hurts my head

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

2 hours ago, ionel said:

So we are going with the shoulda now?  In that case Hutton shoulda been a 4x undefeated NC if not for a tie match in finals his Jr year and a silly referee decision.  If that'd been the case we'd never have been talking about that Cael guy.  🙄

They should change your emoji from banana to cherry cause your cherrypicking

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

He was not top 5 but my vote for most entertaining Heavyweight goes to Curly Culp at Arizona State where he won the School its first NCAA title in wrestling.

He was non stop on the mat and sounded like a Steam Engine as he plowed forward and took opponents apart. Played Football at ASU and then in the Pro's and is in the NFL Hall of Fame.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Posted (edited)

no love for Kerry McCoy? After a lackluster freshman year at 190, we went 131-1 at heavy, won 88 matches in a row, 1-3-1 at NCAAs, Hodge winner. Beat Neal in finals for his 2nd title (granted Neal was a soph). 

not sure he's top 5 just surprised I haven't seen his name other than on the Hodge winner list that was posted. or maybe I missed it.

Dan Gable famously held out Wes Hand from wrestling McCoy in dual Hand's freshman year. Hand of course went on to be a finalist but at that point Gable said he hadn't earned the right to wrestle someone like McCoy. Of course, this was in a dual Iowa had locked up heading into the last match. PSU crowd was pissed. 

Edited by 11986
  • Bob 1

18 minutes ago, 11986 said:

no love for Kerry McCoy? After a lackluster freshman year at 190, we went 131-1 at heavy, won 88 matches in a row, 1-3-1 at NCAAs, Hodge winner. Beat Neal in finals for his 2nd title (granted Neal was a soph). 

not sure he's top 5 just surprised I haven't seen his name other than on the Hodge winner list that was posted. or maybe I missed it.

Dan Gable famously held out Wes Hand from wrestling McCoy in dual Hand's freshman year. Hand of course went on to be a finalist but at that point Gable said he hadn't earned the right to wrestle someone like McCoy. Of course, this was in a dual Iowa had locked up heading into the last match. PSU crowd was pissed. 

I thought he was also trying not to torpedo Hand's confidence?

16 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I thought he was also trying not to torpedo Hand's confidence?

maybe? I think he might have also been trying to piss him off. Gable was great at figuring his guys out and pushing the right buttons. 

9 minutes ago, 11986 said:

maybe? I think he might have also been trying to piss him off. Gable was great at figuring his guys out and pushing the right buttons. 

If I remember correctly, Gable wasn't even there.  He relayed the instructions to Zalesky.  This was covered in "A Season on the Mat," and my copy is in another state at the moment.

13 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

If I remember correctly, Gable wasn't even there.  He relayed the instructions to Zalesky.  This was covered in "A Season on the Mat," and my copy is in another state at the moment.

I remember comments to that effect. Hand had potential and putting him up against mccoy to get embarrassed wasn't worth it. Also remember that being during gables hiatus. 

• Bob 1

15 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

love that book and was at the dual, not recalling whether Gable was there or not right this sec but you might be right with the hip issues he was having he might not have traveled for that one. 

• Bob 1