Electric boogaloo

13 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Breakdancing, like ballet, surfing, and skateboarding, is far more accurately categorized as art

Much like the style that someone exhibits in their sport or craft or life. Be it, baseball, golf, wrestling, etc...

35 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Much like the style that someone exhibits in their sport or craft or life. Be it, baseball, golf, wrestling, etc...

... get on it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2024 at 5:10 PM, Bulldog said:

I get that, and one must concede that gymnastics has done a ton of work in recent-ish years to try to remove all the ambiguity and such from its scoring systems, but still... creating a contest to set something up like a sport does not make it a sport. 

Breakdancing, like ballet, surfing, and skateboarding, is far more accurately categorized as art and human expression.  I am pretty sure the most hardcore b-boys and skaters would agree with me.

I see what you're getting at. A guy I know was an Olympic hopeful in archery, says all of the "judged" sports need to be cut: gymastics, artistic swimming & diving, ski jumping, figure skating, etc. Says there's too much subjectivity for them to be real sports. 

I will say that a lot of the racing sports are approaching BS territory. When you're reaching absolute human limits and event times are decided by tenths or even hundredths of a second, it's not superior athleticism, it's chance. And also equipment.

On 6/11/2024 at 9:17 AM, MPhillips said:

Absolutely, but no ones starts surfing, skateboarding , and breakdancing to compete and with anyone other than themselves.  Unlike basball and wrestling, competing with others to win isnt even on the radar.    

• Bob 2

On 6/22/2024 at 3:08 PM, CHROMEBIRD said:

I will say that a lot of the racing sports are approaching BS territory. When you're reaching absolute human limits and event times are decided by tenths or even hundredths of a second, it's not superior athleticism, it's chance. And also equipment.

The same athletes usually win. If a lot of the field was equal and it was truly chance, you should see a wider variety of winners.

5 hours ago, Jim L said:

The same athletes usually win. If a lot of the field was equal and it was truly chance, you should see a wider variety of winners.

I hear you. I just meant that if times & records are decided by fractions of a second, then it's a roll of the dice whether the wind was blowing the right way or that the technology started and stopped the clocks at exactly the right nanosecond, or that the competition surface was favorable, or someone's uniform was made of the right material or whatever, and therefore kind of stupid. It gets worse (more boring) as these elite athletes approach theoretical limits of human speed. 

Bolt of Jamaica was not boring, at least to me.  That guy was fun to watch.  

Break dancing, I just don't get that it is thought of as a sport.   The guys that do it are very athletic, but it seems like a thing you do rather than a sport.   Just me. 

mspart

12 hours ago, mspart said:

Bolt of Jamaica was not boring, at least to me.  That guy was fun to watch.

Word. That guy shut it down 5+ meters from the finish line to start celebrating and still smashed the world record.