Kyle Dake

Interesting article on Dake today about turning down a massive offer to coach. He will be the next big name head coach next Spring. Appears this is the final ride.  As a side note - Read that it was Ok State before Smith decided to come back for one more year. However,  I need to find where that was said. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/05/24/us-olympian-turned-down-massive-job-to-pursue-gold-medal-dream.html

• Bob 2
  • Potato 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Good on Dake for continuing to do what he loves doing. I wonder if he'll make his guys develop sun calluses and shield their heads from electromagnetic radiation while sleeping. Roy Williams would make his basketball players spit in a river before a game, and do all sorts of superstitious things.

I doubt it was Oklahoma State. 

I truly am curious as to who it was. 

Also, I'm curious of his skillset as a Head Coach. Like Burroughs, I don't see what he was able to do on the mats transferring to the mats as easily. 

I think Gable and Cael are exceptions on being out of this world head coaches.   Smith was pretty good but not on that level I don't think.   J Robinson was also good but worked with Gable for years so he could be labelled a clone, but still didn't have the longevity of stellar team performance that Gable and Cael have had.   They were/are both able to get in their wrestler's heads and get the very best out of them.   You just don't see that very often.   That is probably something that cannot be taught.   Now it could be it was really their assistants that did all that.   I don't think that was the case for Gable.   But Cael has Casey and I think he has that ability - so maybe two that have that ability at PSU currently.   Casey is just a whale of a good coach.  

mspart

41 minutes ago, mspart said:

I think Gable and Cael are exceptions on being out of this world head coaches.   Smith was pretty good but not on that level I don't think.   J Robinson was also good but worked with Gable for years so he could be labelled a clone, but still didn't have the longevity of stellar team performance that Gable and Cael have had.   They were/are both able to get in their wrestler's heads and get the very best out of them.   You just don't see that very often.   That is probably something that cannot be taught.   Now it could be it was really their assistants that did all that.   I don't think that was the case for Gable.   But Cael has Casey and I think he has that ability - so maybe two that have that ability at PSU currently.   Casey is just a whale of a good coach.  

mspart

I think Cael Sanderson relies heavily on all of his assistant coaches. He seems to give them a lot of autonomy. In addition to Cunnigham, I think a lot of the lighter weight guys rely heavily on Cody Sanderson. You see Cody Sanderson in the corner more often than Cael Sanderson.

I spoke to Sanderson once in passing at an NCAA tournament and said something like, "I am real impressed with what your coaching". He replied along the lines of, "it is just knowing when to get out of other people's way." He was immediately out the door after that so I never got a chance to ask a follow up.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I think Cael Sanderson relies heavily on all of his assistant coaches. He seems to give them a lot of autonomy. In addition to Cunnigham, I think a lot of the lighter weight guys rely heavily on Cody Sanderson. You see Cody Sanderson in the corner more often than Cael Sanderson.

I spoke to Sanderson once in passing at an NCAA tournament and said something like, "I am real impressed with what your coaching". He replied along the lines of, "it is just knowing when to get out of other people's way." He was immediately out the door after that so I never got a chance to ask a follow up.

Just a remarkable person.

13 minutes ago, CowboyYe2024 said:

Doubt it. 

Iowa will probably get JB or Cox

Willie seemed to think neither JB or Cox had any interest in college coaching. And while he might not always be right, he always seems to be well informed.

Willie seemed to think neither JB or Cox had any interest in college coaching. And while he might not always be right, he always seems to be well informed.

JB is in his mid-30s; what kind of career does he transition to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Hard for me to say. But who knows what aspirations he holds to be behind the mic? He certainly has done that often. Maybe he aspires to open a business. There are an infinite number of ways to make money.

9 hours ago, Le duke said:

I believe Burroughs is currently running a kids club