Interesting mandate here in Florida

In line with his "freedom summer", DeSantis and his Transportation Secretary have mandated that all Florida bridges must be illuminated only with red, white, and blue lights this summer.  No other colors and no other commemoration of any other celebrations.

Curious to see everyone's thoughts on this.   Personally I love the idea of all of the states bridges (and there are a shiiiiiiiitload of bridges here in Florida) decked out in red white and blue.   But I'm not sure I love the idea of the government setting this kind of mandate.  Kinda seems anti-'freedom'.   I like a lot (not all by any means) of what DeSantis does but this seems a bit overreach.

Posted (edited)

If it’s state property than I don’t have a problem with the state deciding what sorts of messages are aloud or not aloud.

Not all that different from a government employee having restrictions placed on certain ways they present themselves (for example state department employees etc).

Edited by BuckyBadger

Honestly I don't know if every bridge in Florida is state owned and operated or not.  I do know in years past decisions on bridge lighting, whether it be for celebration or just because, have been left to the local authorities where the bridges are located.

Pride in country is good, and the state deciding what to do with what is theirs (bridges) is fine by me.  Showing pride in the country that gives individuals its freedom could run 365 days...

• Bob 1

Just now, jross said:

Pride in country is good, and the state deciding what to do with what is theirs (bridges) is fine by me.  Showing pride in the country that gives individuals its freedom could run 365 days...

I don't disagree with any of this.

But forcing 'pride' is a completely different conversation.  Forcing is the opposite of freedom...

Posted (edited)

Actually, the more I think about it, I do think there is precedent for not allowing state employees/agencies etc to display certain messages, but I’m not sure I like the idea of saying a certain type of message should be displayed. That could lead to a pretty bad place eventually.

Edited by BuckyBadger

5 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

But forcing 'pride' is a completely different conversation.  Forcing is the opposite of freedom...

Just wait till next month. Rainbow bridges everywhere lol

Nothing says "celebrating freedom" like only allowing state approved decorations. 

I can't imagine actually caring how a bridge is decorated, but I do wish conservatives would stop pontificating about "freedom." They aren't interested in freedom. They're interested in their personal ideology being reflected back to them in everything they see.

State mandating red, white, and blue colors on bridges - promoting freedom

Allowing local municipalities to decide how to decorate the bridges they maintain - communism

2 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Nothing says "celebrating freedom" like only allowing state approved decorations. 

I can't imagine actually caring how a bridge is decorated, but I do wish conservatives would stop pontificating about "freedom." They aren't interested in freedom. They're interested in their personal ideology being reflected back to them in everything they see.

State mandating red, white, and blue colors on bridges - promoting freedom

Allowing local municipalities to decide how to decorate the bridges they maintain - communism

Just one example, but the one getting the most attention, is the Skyway, which is not maintained and operated by the local municipality.   It is the state.   

4 minutes ago, jross said:

The colors of the USA represent the principles and freedom to celebrate rainbows.

Honest question:  Do American soldiers die so that people and their communities, can choose what commemorations to celebrate and how, or do soldiers die so the government can tell those communities what can be celebrated and how?   

• Bob 1

To me this seems like a waste of money.   Light up the bridges with white lights like a normal road and be done with it.   I don't mind the red white and blue lights, but that costs money that is not necessary for road and traffic safety.   Lots of bridges means lots of man hours changing out lights.   Just seems like a waste of money. 

mspart

• Bob 2

8 minutes ago, mspart said:

To me this seems like a waste of money.   Light up the bridges with white lights like a normal road and be done with it.   I don't mind the red white and blue lights, but that costs money that is not necessary for road and traffic safety.   Lots of bridges means lots of man hours changing out lights.   Just seems like a waste of money. 

mspart

Changing out lights on bridges to celebrate one thing or another happens all the time.  The communities do it on their own.   This mandate doesn't stop decorating bridges, it stops communities from decorating how they decide to.   So the cost isn't really an issue.  Spending money to commemorate and celebrate things is not isolated to bridge lights.

19 minutes ago, mspart said:

True, I figured since it was a state mandate, it was state funded.  If I had that wrong, my mistake. 

mspart

That's kind of the key, some are and some aren't, but the mandate goes for all.

1 hour ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Honest question:  Do American soldiers die so that people and their communities, can choose what commemorations to celebrate and how, or do soldiers die so the government can tell those communities what can be celebrated and how?   

Their service supports community rights and governmental authority. The government avoids larger controversy by being neutral and inclusive of all Americans with the red/white/blue nod.  The state may choose to consult with communities... but it's the state's supreme authority over local communities. 

Posted (edited)

So your answer is the purpose of the government, and the constitution, is to avoid civil discourse?  Or are you saying that people/communities cannot possibly be American if they choose to celebrate and commemorate other things beside just being American? As to avoiding controversy, I’ve never heard of any larger controversy involving the lighting of bridges in Florida between Memorial Day and Labor Day than there is now with this mandate, and I’m around a whole lot of Florida bridges.  

I’m also very interested in the varying degrees of when “big government” is okay, and when it is not. It seems for many the answer to that is solely dependent upon whether or not the current topic of conversation squares with individual beliefs.  

Edited by WrestlingRasta

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Good question.  I think they died to give us the freedom to cook (rare to well done) whatever meat we want on our back deck and to light said deck with white or pink or again whatever color bulbs we prefer.  Now what the feds and states do is an entirely different matter.   🇺🇸 

Edited by ionel

1 minute ago, ionel said:

Good question.  I think they died to give us the freedom to cook (rare to well done) whatever meat we want on our back deck and to light said deck with white or pink or again whatever color bulbs we prefer.  Now what the feds and states do is an entirely different matter.   🇺🇸 

freedom has gone too far in this case

Just now, uncle bernard said:

freedom has gone too far in this case

I absolutely don't agree with it but my uncle died giving idiots the freedom to ruin their steak if they want to.  

2 hours ago, ionel said:

So states and feds forcing and denying celebrations the public wants is an okay matter that soldiers didn’t die for?  

I have a feeling soldiers in the revolutionary army would disagree. 

1 hour ago, WrestlingRasta said:

So states and feds forcing and denying celebrations the public wants is an okay matter that soldiers didn’t die for?  

I have a feeling soldiers in the revolutionary army would disagree. 

We are not a democracy but a republic that uses a democratic process to elect representatives to make policy decisions.  If you don't like their decision find smart people to run and vote for them.  Also we don't even know exactly what celebrations or the percentage of folks that are for or against.  

• Bob 1