Oklahoma state projected line up

4 minutes ago, Gus said:

He’s just excited about his guy. And while there have been quite a few 4xers in OK there have not been many undefeated 4Xers. And Hughes does have a nice hit list. The future is bright. 

What do you say Gus.  133 is a pretty deep weight class.  back of the envelope odds that Hughes AA's this year. Latona moves up to 133, but McGonagle moves in to starting from backup.  Lucas Byrd comes back from medical redshirt.  Brett Ungar is added to the mix up from 125.  Otherwise you have some familiar faces:

Ryan Crookham

Nassir Bailey

Dylan Ragusin

Dylan Shawver

Kai Orine

Evan Frost

Aaron Nagao

Tyler Wells

Marlon Yarbrough

27 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

What do you say Gus.  133 is a pretty deep weight class.  back of the envelope odds that Hughes AA's this year. Latona moves up to 133, but McGonagle moves in to starting from backup.  Lucas Byrd comes back from medical redshirt.  Brett Ungar is added to the mix up from 125.  Otherwise you have some familiar faces:

Ryan Crookham

Nassir Bailey

Dylan Ragusin

Dylan Shawver

Kai Orine

Evan Frost

Aaron Nagao

Tyler Wells

Marlon Yarbrough

I think he’s in the AA mix right off the bat. OK State always wrestles a tough schedule so we will know quickly where he stands. Crookham is the early favorite but is not head and shoulders above the rest at this point. What do you think Fly?

• Ban Basketball 1

46 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Ryan Crookham

Nassir Bailey

Dylan Ragusin

Dylan Shawver

Kai Orine

Evan Frost

Aaron Nagao

Tyler Wells

Marlon Yarbrough

Im expecting Frost to be better next year he made crazy jumps from year 1 to 2 I think it is a pretty solidified top 5 to me Crookham,Bailey,Ragusin,Shawver,Frost. Yarbrough exploited nagaos inability to defend leg attacks but overall his season was not very impressive and Orine has kind of been the same guy the last two years. Wells will likely improve a ton as only a true freshman I would probably put them in that 6-8 range with McGonagle,Nagao and throw Hughes in there as well.

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, Truzzcat said:

Im expecting Frost to be better next year he made crazy jumps from year 1 to 2 I think it is a pretty solidified top 5 to me Crookham,Bailey,Ragusin,Shawver,Frost. Yarbrough exploited nagaos inability to defend leg attacks but overall his season was not very impressive and Orine has kind of been the same guy the last two years. Wells will likely improve a ton as only a true freshman I would probably put them in that 6-8 range with McGonagle,Nagao and throw Hughes in there as well.

I am excited to see both Frost brothers in the lineup.

I am curious if Swiderski actually redshirts or upsizes to a heavier splitter for chopping wood and goes 165lbs based purely on his impatient nature.

• Bob 2

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

40 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I am curious if Swiderski actually redshirts or upsizes to a heavier splitter for chopping wood and goes 165lbs based purely on his impatient nature.

A redshirt would do him well he needs to expand his offense on his feet a bit to go with his pace and improve on the mat a smidge.

2 hours ago, Gus said:

I think he’s in the AA mix right off the bat. OK State always wrestles a tough schedule so we will know quickly where he stands. Crookham is the early favorite but is not head and shoulders above the rest at this point. What do you think Fly?

He could be right there.  I haven't seen enough of him in folkstyle.  I saw a match in which he beat Lemley but he exhibited mostly an excellent defense and they were separated by a single opportunistic move on Hughes part.  I was asking because I am not as familiar with him

3 hours ago, Gus said:

He’s just excited about his guy. And while there have been quite a few 4xers in OK there have not been many undefeated 4Xers. And Hughes does have a nice hit list. The future is bright. 

Then he should have said 'I'm excited about my guy and the future is bright'.  

1 hour ago, flyingcement said:

He could be right there.  I haven't seen enough of him in folkstyle.  I saw a match in which he beat Lemley but he exhibited mostly an excellent defense and they were separated by a single opportunistic move on Hughes part.  I was asking because I am not as familiar with him

I have not seen enough folkstyle either to make a proclamation of a title threat. His freestyle results have been very good. Fix seems to think he’s the real deal. 

20 minutes ago, boconnell said:

Then he should have said 'I'm excited about my guy and the future is bright'.  

Fan is short for fanatic. Lol

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I was looking at Jacob frosts results last year and he lost to Kyler Larkin 10-8 in an open tournament. Larkin is very very good but hes been holding down 61kg so losing to an undersized high schooler who still takes some losses (forrest at boarder brawl 10-6 I believe forrest bumped up it was at like 135) Bassett once and davino twice give me a little pause. 

• Bob 1

14 hours ago, boconnell said:

This is some bonkers stuff.  

Fix beat all of the guys you mentioned except Arujau.  They didn't outscramble him.  He didn't even touch Vito's leg for the most part.  Vito scored clean off his own shots.  And Vito's a world champ.  He wasn't outscrambling Fix, he was just better at wrestling.

Being a 4X Oklahoma champ doesn't mean they were similar in HS.  There are tons of 4X Oklahoma champs, and most never come close to Fix's level.

You are massively reaching to say Hughes is close to Fix, let alone better.

I don't think he is overreaching by that much, I am just saying let's see how he does in college. There are not many undefeated 4Xr's in Oklahoma.  I can tell you Hughes had some massive wins as a highschooler, he went to alot of the big tourneys too. I think Hughes will have a chance to do something Fix couldn't and that is win ONE title.  Fix was just consistent, you knew what you were going to get. With Hughes, we don't know. He will be a big 133, and he is as strong as an ox, and the kid can go. Fix had a ton of hype coming out, and Hughes doesn't have as much. 

8 minutes ago, H82Lose said:

I don't think he is overreaching by that much, I am just saying let's see how he does in college. There are not many undefeated 4Xr's in Oklahoma.  I can tell you Hughes had some massive wins as a highschooler, he went to alot of the big tourneys too. I think Hughes will have a chance to do something Fix couldn't and that is win ONE title.  Fix was just consistent, you knew what you were going to get. With Hughes, we don't know. He will be a big 133, and he is as strong as an ox, and the kid can go. Fix had a ton of hype coming out, and Hughes doesn't have as much. 

Fix was just wrestling in college at a time where 133 probably had 3 of the best guys at the weight ever in RBY,Suriano,Vito.

2 hours ago, H82Lose said:

I didn't say anything about him overreaching when saying Hughes is good or will be good.  I said it was bonkers to say Fix didn't know how to scramble and struggled against a bunch of guys he beat and a world champion he couldn't beat.  I also said it was crazy to say Hughes is at Fix's level because both were 4Xers.  

I hope Hughes is great.  I think he will be.  I think there's a good chance he wins a title while Fix never did.  But it's nuts to say Fix struggled late in his career because he couldn't beat RBY and Vito.

18 hours ago, Gus said:

I wasn't aware that Fix was an undefeated 4 timer in Oklahoma, but the other 4 time undefeated Okie champs I know about were pretty good in college (Kenny Monday, Mike Sheets). I got to roll with Kenny one time, that guy was ridiculously fast (and strong for his size). 

11 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

I wasn't aware that Fix was an undefeated 4 timer in Oklahoma, but the other 4 time undefeated Okie champs I know about were pretty good in college (Kenny Monday, Mike Sheets). I got to roll with Kenny one time, that guy was ridiculously fast (and strong for his size). 

Monday and Sheets wrestled each other twice, one tie and one win for Monday.

17 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

pretty sure Teyon Ware was an undefeated 4 timer in Oklahoma as well and he did pretty good in college too

• Bob 1

17 minutes ago, 11986 said:

pretty sure Teyon Ware was an undefeated 4 timer in Oklahoma as well and he did pretty good in college too

OK 4x undefeated champs are Kenny Monday (had one tie), Jerry Best, Teyon Ware, Kaden Gfeller, Daton Fix and Cael Hughes.

• Bob 1

9 minutes ago, Gus said:

OK 4x undefeated champs are Kenny Monday (had one tie), Jerry Best, Teyon Ware, Kaden Gfeller, Daton Fix and Cael Hughes.

I've never even heard of Jerry Best, was he back in the 1960s or earlier? Gfeller never improved at OSU, in fact I think he regressed over his time there. A shame, I thought he should've been a multiple AA. The other guys did pretty well for themselves, although Fix never improved either. I wonder how Gfeller and Fix would've done if they'd have wrestled for Cael? 

34 minutes ago, ionel said:

Monday and Sheets wrestled each other twice, one tie and one win for Monday.

Yeah, but Sheets never lost to Monday in HS. They had only 1 match in HS, a highly publicized draw during a dual between Tulsa Washington and Tahlequah. 

4 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

Yeah, but Sheets never lost to Monday in HS. They had only 1 match in HS, a highly publicized draw during a dual between Tulsa Washington and Tahlequah. 

Believe he did, once. 

Just now, jackwebster said:

No. Late 80s early 90s.. He was from Chandler, I think.

Chandler. I didn't even know Chandler had a wrestling team 😄 Maybe they didn't back in my day. 

1 minute ago, 11986 said:

according to this article....

Only one surprise remains: OSU was the only major college wrestling power to recruit Sheets. At Tahlequah High, Sheets was 109-6-1, he won two state titles and he drew with current OSU star Kenny Monday, who won his other 140 high school bouts.

Size doesn't stop Cowboy from being No. 1 (oklahoman.com)

Well I'll be.  The Tulsa World lied to me! I was an Okie soph in HS at the time and I remember getting yoked over that match. The Tulsa World said neither had lost a match in HS! I remember when they had their dual meet that Kenny had a HS record of 127-0, or something ridiculous like that. 

I wonder who the guys were that beat Sheets in HS? 

1 minute ago, NM1965 said:

Chandler. I didn't even know Chandler had a wrestling team 😄 Maybe they didn't back in my day. 

My uncle was the superintendent there. Only reason it rings a bell. Either that or I have no idea what Im talking about. Definite possibility.