DT: if he had to ...

All coaches imagine gettibg the opportunity to correct what they saw as flaws in the way they were coached. If DT had to pick out one way that CS dropped the ball, what would he say?

Related: will the cowboys be playing dodgeball now?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

All coaches imagine gettibg the opportunity to correct what they saw as flaws in the way they were coached. If DT had to pick out one way that CS dropped the ball, what would he say?

less dodge ball more cradle defense 🙅‍♀️

Edited by ionel
  • Brain 1
  • Fire 2
  • Haha 9

28 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Real cop out answer from me here, but DT is the wrestling equivalent of Cael's oldest child.

A few mistakes along the way (short-view staying at 74kg for so long), but ultimately 86kg was also a major gamble, there was no guarantee it would work.

And, the reality is that whatever DT had to go through along the way are exactly the things that will make him a good coach.  Good coaches aren't good just because they are good, they are good because they can identify where in a particular process an athlete, and they have experience overcoming obstacles that they can troubleshoot a way forward for that athlete that fits for their personality and style of wrestling.

Cael's "whoopsies" moments with DT are major assets for DT becoming a coach.  We think about Dake vs DT, DT has taken way more lumps along the way, and he's way more seasoned mentally in terms of being a coach and relating to others and developing others.  DT is more like JB, losing has been so rare, that it monopolizes his mind and dictates everything he will be doing for the next 12 months.  A coach needs to be able to digest and move on.  

So, world and olympic gold aside, the best thing Cael has given DT are the mistakes and hard moments, because they will allow him to be there as a coach. 

That was what made J Smith (and occasionally Gable) so miserable to be around at times.  They hated losing so much that it inhibited their ability to be there for their athletes in a way that connected with them instead of just scared them.

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

I suppose Taylor could hook his whole team up with Coach Cal.  DT had to seek that out on his own, and figure out how to win in the margins away from Cael, before he got over the hump and started actually making world teams. 

25 minutes ago, headshuck said:

Not moving up to 174 his junior season.

why?  he was, after all, the reigning, undefeated, internet fantasy matchup favorite

Taylor's losses were in the ultra nitty gritty side of the mental. If you had to put a word on why dake never lost to him, it's "present". Dake could jump on the half second per match taylor was relaxed. Taylor being so dominant probably contributed to this problem, like spencer lee but not nearly as bad, he was just not that inexperienced in a chess match and dake wasn't.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

20 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Taylor's losses were in the ultra nitty gritty side of the mental. If you had to put a word on why dake never lost to him, it's "present". Dake could jump on the half second per match taylor was relaxed. Taylor being so dominant probably contributed to this problem, like spencer lee but not nearly as bad, he was just not that inexperienced in a chess match and dake wasn't.

Dake also had the ability to pull off wrestling positions that you'd teach every other kid not to do because it's fundamentally wrong.  There are things Dake did back in college that defied the laws of wrestling physics

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

43 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Dake also had the ability to pull off wrestling positions that you'd teach every other kid not to do because it's fundamentally wrong.  There are things Dake did back in college that defied the laws of wrestling physics

While this is true.. don't use it as a cop out if the fact Dake without a doubt had a mental edge

• Fire 1

Looking at how top guys are cutting back on number of matches these days, think he'd say Carl threw him out there in way too many fantasy matches.  

44 minutes ago, Formally140 said:

While this is true.. don't use it as a cop out if the fact Dake without a doubt had a mental edge

How is what I said a cop out?  Seems like you're just trying to start a a fight

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

3 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

yeah but so did taylor. watch is far ankle scrambles with derek st john.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

On 5/9/2024 at 6:36 PM, jackwebster said:

I think David will endeavor to make sure his wrestlers knees don't get too close to their heads, especially in NCAA championship matches. 

On 5/9/2024 at 11:21 PM, PortaJohn said:

That's because Kyle Dake is more akin to a shaved gorilla than an actual human being.  I saw those things you wrote about, too 😄 Remember how Dake horsed Taylor at the Scuffle? That was insane.