It's official

7 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

But even if there's more competition, is competing more better?  It's not as if the international athletes compete every week, and that is the highest level of the sport. 

Debatable.  I know a fair number of coaches want the number of competitions reduced.  But the opposing view is you need to compete to get better, as well as to get a feel for the other guys at your weight.  And I think the small number of international competitions is more due to lack of events and travel expenses than it is a conscious decision to compete less.

So I don't know, but if PSU was, say, the third or fourth best team, do you think they'd still be doing half the number of competitions as everyone else?  I don't. 

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

50 minutes ago, OMW said:

It would be funny if Cael brought in Coleman Scott for a year or two.

Truthfully Iowa should be making that call.  At least try to get him on the staff.  But they won't, because they're just too arrogant to ever look outside their own alumni base.  

• Bob 2

2 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

well, minus the endorsements that come with an olympic birth.

Just realized DT would've got a $500k check for repeat gold medals. So, maybe over the long term, but this year it might be a wash. 

1 hour ago, BAC said:

Truthfully Iowa should be making that call.  At least try to get him on the staff.  But they won't, because they're just too arrogant to ever look outside their own alumni base.  

This is definitely along the lines of the right thinking.  Who the hell does Iowa even have in their alumni pool, looks like their only bet now is to just continue the gremlin train and give the program to spencer when he’s done internationally? But they are a gold medal program, no olympic gold, no head coaching position (zalesky being the obvious “whoopsy” along the way, they would be so much better off if Tom got the reigns from the get go).

6 hours ago, Dark Energy said:

Feeling DT can do better staff wise than Gilman.  Don’t know the guy, and DT is smarter than me at this stuff.  But just seems like he could attract someone even better for his staff.

In a different era Gilman would be the biggest star in America with his credentials. He’s gotten coaching perspectives from two of the top programs with starkly different philosophies. I think that makes him well-rounded, and it’s easy to see he’s matured a lot. He would be an excellent pick up.

• Bob 1

This is exciting news! I’m not really a DT fan, but it’s exciting for the landscape of college wrestling. Im hoping to see some competition and good rivalries in college wrestling again. I also think it will set the precedent too for other programs to take a chance on guys like JB, Dake, and Snyder. That would sure make things interesting.

6 hours ago, BAC said:

You never know.  Cael competed at Worlds one year while head coach at PSU.  It didn't exactly detract from his effectiveness as coach.  If OSU was smart, they probably told him they're fine with him competing again if he wants, so long as he can balance it with the job.

Wondering this as well.  I think it’s possible he may not be done competing

That would be so awesome and wholesome, and would be the official end of the angry head coach era in US wrestling.

I didn’t realize Tom and Terry retired too??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Bob 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Threadkilla said:

Why would a NY kid and 2 AWA kids go to OK state after comitting to PSU?

8 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

not supporting the theory but because taylor is still a workout parnter

Ryder is a M2 kid.  I don't think it's crazy to think he'd go with Taylor and company  considering the log jam of middle weights at PSU

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Bob 2

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

If okie state smart. Here's the moment open wallet. Buy your team now.

Have this year be David Taylor is next great place to be. Not Iowa.

Impression  will matter for future.

Grab henson

Barraclaugh

Alierz

Hendrickson

Seize the moment

9 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

Yeah, so much for that argument.  I remember posts a couple months ago where people said he wouldn't ever take the Iowa job because of his farm and M2 training center....As if he can't also have a farm in Iowa/Oklahoma and he can't also have small businesses in Iowa/Oklahoma.  

I made a similar post before seeing yours! Total agreement!

• Bob 1

Wondering how the recent news with Brooks's suspension could affect DT's initial start to this role.  Gotta imagine he will be splitting time between NLWC and Okie State if he's next man up.

9 hours ago, BAC said:

I'm with you.  Ask me 5-6 years ago, and I'd tell you to stay away from Gilman.  But now?  He's still passionate but also reflective and thoughtful.  I think he's a guy you want next to you in war when you charge the hill.

Really reflective in how he trashed concussed Yianni!

1 hour ago, CowboyYe2024 said:

Ain't no way Gillman goes on that OSU corner.

There wasn't any way he was going to NLWC either...

Oh wait...

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

3 hours ago, 4awrestler said:

I didn’t realize Tom and Terry retired too??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahaha no not yet, but if two of the big three coach the “gentle way”, and we know they will out-develop the black and yellow squad, it’s only a matter of time.

The more kids can have fun with their wrestling, the better it is for the sport. 

Willie says the owner of Paycom is a new donor.

Supposedly Taylor did turn down the initial offer (not necessarily due to the money) but they came back with a bigger one.  Will be interesting to see once it comes out…

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, pokemonster said:

Just realized DT would've got a $500k check for repeat gold medals. So, maybe over the long term, but this year it might be a wash. 

Edited by gromit