Taylor's Assistants at OKST

5 hours ago, Gantry said:

That doesn't make sense though, if an AD can't make legally a promise why would they?  They would be risking their own job doing so.   And if Smith made the promise, well that isn't his call as we see now. 

This happens all the time. Sometimes an “understanding” is actually the opposite. It was beneficial for Oklahoma State to bring in Coleman last year. 

People get skipped over when they think they’re in line just about as often as they get chosen. 

• Fire 1

So who would be credible candidates as assistants at OSU under DT?   I could see Aaron Brooks maybe.   Getting Bo might be good also but he has his MMA career to think about but he would be great with the upper weights.   He and Brooks could gang up on them and whip them into shape.   What about mid to lower weights?   Gilman might be good for the lower weights.  He could rough up some guys and sharpen them.   Middle weights how about Marinelli?  

Any other thoughts?

mspart

20 minutes ago, mspart said:

So who would be credible candidates as assistants at OSU under DT?   I could see Aaron Brooks maybe.   Getting Bo might be good also but he has his MMA career to think about but he would be great with the upper weights.   He and Brooks could gang up on them and whip them into shape.   What about mid to lower weights?   Gilman might be good for the lower weights.  He could rough up some guys and sharpen them.   Middle weights how about Marinelli?  

Any other thoughts?

mspart

I'm not sure if you are being serious.   Brooks just took out DT while maybe not even being eligible for the olympics.  DT screwed Bo back when he had surgery on his knee and didn't tell Bo so he could drop down to 86.  Brooks and Nickal are not buddies with DT.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, scorenomore said:

I'm not sure if you are being serious.   Brooks just took out DT while maybe not even being eligible for the olympics.  DT screwed Bo back when he had surgery on his knee and didn't tell Bo so he could drop down to 86.  Brooks and Nickal are not buddies with DT.

But God... and the bible.

https://youtu.be/S9AWIhOwlmo?si=4ZI3IKvvlRuHlKLR

Edited by mad_rascal

37 minutes ago, mspart said:

Any other thoughts?

mspart

Brooks isn’t leaving NLWC and Nickal is in the UFC.

Seems the rumors are Gilman is likely going and Kennedy.  Who knows after that.

I do think Marinelli could be a good coach, and seems like a good candidate to start up a weekly Bible study that could rival PSU’s.  I think he’d be an interesting hire so that it’s not all PSU guys.  He and Taylor both graduated from the same high school right?

I’d want to think Taylor would want to keep at least one of OK St assistants or at least a RTC coach on staff for legacy recruiting and team retention.   But who the best option to bridge that gap?

Then obviously the next question is where is the next stop off for the rest of the OK St staff.  

I was just throwing out names.   If Brooks and Bo are not in DT's corner, then they won't go.   But they would be great assets to OSU if they did, is there disagreement there?   Maybe it will be someone like Casey who is the real wizard there.   DT needs to find himself a Casey Cunningham.  

mspart

6 minutes ago, Powershouse said:

I have to think that DT needs to retain some OSU coaches for the fund raising connections to the traditional program supporters. You know, real-world head coach concerns.

Are you aware of how they were able to afford DT?

I have to think that DT needs to retain some OSU coaches for the fund raising connections to the traditional program supporters. You know, real-world head coach concerns.

Are you suggesting OK State ran out of their T. Boone Pickens money? They’re not exactly in the poor house in Stillwater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Brain 1

5 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Are you suggesting OK State ran out of their T. Boone Pickens money? They’re not exactly in the poor house in Stillwater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure aren't spending TBP $s on wrestling and believe most of it probably tied up committed, this is new money. 

15 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

Purely metaphorically, not actual UMich guys, just dudes who you look at and would expect to be able to handle bc 40 pounds is a big difference, but the force production they create is just on another level.

I thought of Coon and Parris when I read that 😄

7 hours ago, mspart said:

I was just throwing out names.   If Brooks and Bo are not in DT's corner, then they won't go.   But they would be great assets to OSU if they did, is there disagreement there?   Maybe it will be someone like Casey who is the real wizard there.   DT needs to find himself a Casey Cunningham.  

mspart

I think Bo would be a huge asset. All the kids respect Bo and his MMA success is still very fresh. 

16 hours ago, fishbane said:

I don't think it is ego (although that may be the case for NM1965) as much as it is logic.  There are talks of Gable being unbeatable in the room, but when he actually put in on the line and attempted a comeback to make the 1976 team he lost to to a college guy - Lee Kemp.  John Smith is the goat, but he lost multiple times to Reinoso who ended up losing to D2 guys when he came to America. 

I expect many will have similar stories about David Taylor dominating the room at OSU.  Presumably near his peak he just lost to a college senior Aaron Brooks who was beaten by Marcus Coleman.  Taylor when asked about Kerkvliet kind of admitted to avoiding him in the room because of his size.

The idea that Gable, Smith, Sanderson, Cunningham, Taylor ect by and large get the better of nearly all their wrestlers I would 't dispute, but they get to pick their spots and they are wrestling guys they know well.  In a match it would go differently sometimes.  There is a reason these guys are retired and coaching instead of competing.

I don't think it's ego that big guys beat little guys in the practice room, I think it's common sense. Weight classes exist for a reason my friend and technique can only accomplish so much. If it wasn't for weight classes you'd never see anybody under 190-200 pounds winning titles at HS or beyond. 

3 hours ago, NM1965 said:

I think Bo would be a huge asset. All the kids respect Bo and his MMA success is still very fresh. 

Bo isn't going to leave his MMA career and MMA gym (that he owns) to go and be an assistant at OSU.

Add in that it is DT alone and that would make it a no.

• Bob 2

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

49 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Bo isn't going to leave his MMA career and MMA gym (that he owns) to go and be an assistant at OSU.

People are having a difficult time understanding that many of these PSU/NLWC guys have lives and jobs and don't want to be college coaches.  Also a ton of people who don't seem to get that Bo and DT are NOT buddies whatsoever, due to rivalry on the mat and a business falling out.  DT and Brooks may not be very chummy either esp. with potential (likely undisclosed) suspension looming and the fact that Brooks seems to be "Team Bo."

• Bob 2

58 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

People are having a difficult time understanding that many of these PSU/NLWC guys have lives and jobs and don't want to be college coaches.  Also a ton of people who don't seem to get that Bo and DT are NOT buddies whatsoever, due to rivalry on the mat and a business falling out.  DT and Brooks may not be very chummy either esp. with potential (likely undisclosed) suspension looming and the fact that Brooks seems to be "Team Bo."

Bo has aspirations to be the UFC Middleweight (185lbs) World Champion.  That will take sporadic weeks out of each month just for media requirements.

• Bob 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Oh yeah, Bo ain't going anywhere. But it would be fun if he did come to OSU. 

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Quite a few are also pretty much full-time wrestling (not that there’s anything wrong with that of course, but they’d seem like good candidates to coach somewhere eventually).

Snyder, Dake, Nolf, Lee, RBY are a few that come to mind unless I’m mistaken and any of them have other full-time jobs, probably Brooks after he graduates.  I know Nolf runs an app or something but it’s wrestling-related.

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

Quite a few are also pretty much full-time wrestling (not that there’s anything wrong with that of course, but they’d seem like good candidates to coach somewhere eventually).

Snyder, Dake, Nolf, Lee, RBY are a few that come to mind unless I’m mistaken and any of them have other full-time jobs, probably Brooks after he graduates.  I know Nolf runs an app or something but it’s wrestling-related.

Lee runs a company, but that could probably be done from anywhere.

On 5/7/2024 at 1:53 AM, billyhoyle said:

It also isn't a good idea to keep somebody who wanted the job and will leave right away.  

If Coleman were to stay, he'd have a lot more resolve than me. Plus, people are already butt-hurt about the decision, it's not going to be good for anyone to keep him in there. It'd be difficult to not cause a division in the locker room.