Starocci will return next year

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Is Barr at 184 better than Cochran at 197?

Sounds kinda like Starocci is ducking Keckeisen.

He's clearly ducking Arnold!!

In all fairness, Starocci looked pretty big at trials and will want to go 197 if he plans on settling in at 86kg for freestyle. Esp if he wants to take a shot at U23s this fall.

On 5/2/2024 at 7:09 AM, peanut said:

What will PSU’s lineup look like next year? my guess…

125- Lilledahl

133- Davis / Nagao

141- Bartlett

149- SVN

157- Kasak

165- Haines

174- MM / Facundo

184- Barr

197- Starocci

285- Mirasola (Kerk?)

Close, except MM is at 157, and Kasak is red shirting. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Dogbone said:

Wrecked?? Ha. I guess if you only watch PSU wrestle you might not know David Carr is really good at wrestling (I'm joking, I know you know your stuff)

David Carr is a 2x NC who would be a 3xer if KOT wasn't in his weight; KOT is a 2x NC who would be 3xer (by now) if Carr wasn't in his weight.

Carr or KOT would be the best wrestler Starocci has faced in college and he doesn't wreck the top guys.  It's likely a close match that comes down to a scramble or 1 exchange. 

Starocci rarely dominates high level competitors, but he never loses to them (aside from Kemerer his freshman year). He beat Shane Griffith (same Shane Griffith that lost to both KOT and DC by 1 point in back-to-back NCAA tournaments) 2-0 and was never in danger of getting scored on. He also beat Mekhi Lewis (National Champ; 2x finalist) by 4-0 and nearly by tech (again, never in danger of getting scored on in either match). To think KOT would come up a weight class and beat him would be naive. I'm not say it would be domination. But Starocci is the clear pick there. 

Edited by Winners Circle
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Winners Circle said:

Starocci rarely dominates high level competitors, but he never loses to them (aside from Kemerer his freshman year). He beat Shane Griffith (same Shane Griffith that lost to both KOT and DC by 1 point in back-to-back NCAA tournaments) 2-0 and was never in danger of getting scored on. He also beat Mekhi Lewis (National Champ; 2x finalist) by 4-0 and nearly by tech (again, never in danger of getting scored on in either match). To think KOT would come up a weight class and beat him would be naive. I'm not say it would be domination. But Starocci is the clear pick there. 

But Focus is the best 197 ever.

• Fire 1

On 5/3/2024 at 1:06 PM, 1032004 said:

Is Barr at 184 better than Cochran at 197?

Sounds kinda like Starocci is ducking Keckeisen.

I think it’s more of a matter of not having Barr lose a year of eligibility. He already took a RS last seeing.  

1 hour ago, JimmyCinnabon said:

I think it’s more of a matter of not having Barr lose a year of eligibility. He already took a RS last seeing.  

My Keckeisen comment was mostly sarcasm (although that’s certainly a tossup match IMO), I was more asking if people think Barr would be better than Cochran next season.   Cochran beat an AA, Barr hasn’t beaten anyone with a win at NCAA’s

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

My Keckeisen comment was mostly sarcasm (although that’s certainly a tossup match IMO), I was more asking if people think Barr would be better than Cochran next season.   Cochran beat an AA, Barr hasn’t beaten anyone with a win at NCAA’s

This is a good question and I was wondering the same thing. It would make more sense to me if Carter went a more natural weight of 184 and was at his best than having him be a majorly undersized 197. I get the logic for freestyle and it worked for Brooks, but he was only going up one weight. Carter can wrestle 184 and be big enough for 86kg this year and then he could really bulk the following year… it’s likely a two-three year process for him to be a full sized 86 anyway. Only way 197 make sense this year is if it really helps the team.

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Yes, Barr is a far better option to have at 184lbs than Cochran at 197lbs. Cochran is a backup while Barr is a starter. Cochran won’t start at 197lbs no matter where Carter wrestles. 

55 minutes ago, JimmyCinnabon said:

Yes, Barr is a far better option to have at 184lbs than Cochran at 197lbs. Cochran is a backup while Barr is a starter. Cochran won’t start at 197lbs no matter where Carter wrestles. 

Barr looks like a kid who's I really think could follow the PSU progression. A 3rd as a Freshmen then 1, 1, 1. Watching him Wrestle Welsch, they were so close, he was just outmanned physically, but he was in on more shots, just got bullied(that's...not a knock on Welsch, I love how he Wrestles, it's a compliment if anything). I'd assume Barr has spent plenty of time growing into '84.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Barr looks like a kid who's I really think could follow the PSU progression. A 3rd as a Freshmen then 1, 1, 1. Watching him Wrestle Welsch, they were so close, he was just outmanned physically, but he was in on more shots, just got bullied(that's...not a knock on Welsch, I love how he Wrestles, it's a compliment if anything). I'd assume Barr has spent plenty of time growing into '84.

Aeoden Sinclair may have something to say about that. 

Edited by Threadkilla
  • Bob 1

Just now, Threadkilla said:

Aoden Sinclaire may have something to say about that. 

LOL...yeah, he'll have a lot to say about that! Sinclair is more of a '74 at the College level IMO, or he's got to add some good weight, but...he's a monster. And yes, I know what he wrestled this past year, but I thought he was basically a skipped meal away from being at 184 without making any effort to cut. I also wasn't literally picking Barr to go 3,1,1,1...just saying he's on the same level as the PSU guys who've done so. At least in my opinion...he's up there with Nolf, Nickal, Wright, guys like that who've been there under Cael. 

He's really good if what I was trying to say. 

Posted (edited)

I would certainly rather have Barr at 184 than Cochran at 197. I know Cochran got a ton of hype for the slav win but he lost to Beard 20-6 and Cardenas 13-6. The argument you could probably make is that 184 is going to be the more difficult weight so you put Carter there and while im not willing to write off PK I think you guarantee top 2 and Cochran could sneak on the podium. In terms of upside I think you bank on barrs development and hope he can low to mid AA and Carter wins 197 which I think he probably does without much opposition barring AJ coming back and being the same guy he was when he left in 2021.

Edited by Truzzcat

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

LOL...yeah, he'll have a lot to say about that! Sinclair is more of a '74 at the College level IMO, or he's got to add some good weight, but...he's a monster. And yes, I know what he wrestled this past year, but I thought he was basically a skipped meal away from being at 184 without making any effort to cut. I also wasn't literally picking Barr to go 3,1,1,1...just saying he's on the same level as the PSU guys who've done so. At least in my opinion...he's up there with Nolf, Nickal, Wright, guys like that who've been there under Cael. 

He's really good if what I was trying to say. 

There is no doubt he's good, but 3,1,1,1 is a stretch with guys like Sinclair, Lockett, Angelo Ferrari and a couple teammates like Zack Ryder who has been training for the last year with DT.

Edited by Threadkilla

I think Barr can be a low AA a couple of times but I think he (and Facundo) might find find himself replaced if he can’t find his offense, and soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

There is no doubt he's good, but 3,1,1,1 is a stretch with guys like Sinclair, Lockett, Angelo Ferrari and a couple teammates like Zack Ryder who has been training for the last year with DT.

56 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

I also wasn't literally picking Barr to go 3,1,1,1...just saying he's on the same level as the PSU guys who've done so.

Yes, Sinlclair is really good...as is Lockett.

I'm just saying I think Barr is really good.

I also think he'll continue to improve given the other athletes he has to work with every day. There's also just the Penn State progression built in. He was there with Welsch in the past...I don't see why he wouldn't continue to develop and be on that same level. I think @Le dukeis probably right. His biggest threat is likely losing a spot to a guy like Ryder or...one of the other dozen kids they have coming in.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Yes, Sinlclair is really good...as is Lockett.

I'm just saying I think Barr is really good.

I also think he'll continue to improve given the other athletes he has to work with every day. There's also just the Penn State progression built in. He was there with Welsch in the past...I don't see why he wouldn't continue to develop and be on that same level. I think @Le dukeis probably right. His biggest threat is likely losing a spot to a guy like Ryder or...one of the other dozen kids they have coming in.

I don't disagree, and you see in the post you quoted I mentioned Ryder and other teammates.    I've been a season ticket holder since before Cael was hired.  I've seen it all,  90% of the guys coming in are blue chippers ,  some of his biggest competition will be in the room.   People also diminish Facundo,  he beat Karchla and Amine. (He also kept Amine from being a 4 timer in HS)

Edited by Threadkilla
  • Bob 1

19 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

I don't disagree, and you see in the post you quoted I mentioned Ryder and other teammates.    I've been a season ticket holder since before Cael was hired.  I've seen it all,  90% of the guys coming in are blue chippers ,  some of his biggest competition will be in the room.   People also diminish Facundo,  he beat Karchla and Amine. (He also kept Amine from being a 4 timer in HS)

I did miss where you said Ryder, but sure, Facundo is a great example as a guy who's...almost viewed as a failure or a "bust" as PSU...because he wasn't an AA as a Freshmen at one of the most loaded weights I've ever seen. And I'm not talking about anyone here specifically, but there's generally this kinda 'eh, Facundo, he's replaceable.' 

That is how much immediate greatness has become expected out of PSU's top recruits(particularly in the middle-upper weights). 

I'm certainly not dying on the Hill that Josh Barr is going to become the next Nolf, Zain, Nickal(certainly not Ruth)...maybe I shouldn't have said 3,1,1,1 as my point was...he's really good! That's it. 

• Bob 1