Marcus Blaze

13 minutes ago, 11986 said:

Saw that too after I posted. Not sure if alternate means national team or not. I’ve seen both terms used pretty loosely. But he was obviously very very good at a young age. Where’s my Easton or Lehigh people to clarify?

Alternate spot on the US Freestyle Team for the Montreal Olympics.

1 hour ago, MPhillips said:

Alternate spot on the US Freestyle Team for the Montreal Olympics.

Yeah I know. Sounds like runner-up in trials then, so national team, but I’ve seen guys listed as alternate cause they were at the trials and nothing more. Heck I’ve seen a local guy’s fan swear he was an Olympian when all he did (which was impressive, but…) was make the trials. 

Alternate isn’t truly an official designation in wrestling- where it is in sports like gymnastics. It’s more a semantical thing but if you are second at the Trials and end up going as a training partner, you might be next up, but it doesn’t make you an Olympic alternate or THE Olympic alternate as a designated name.

• Bob 2

Insert catchy tagline here. 

4 minutes ago, Jason Bryant said:

Alternate isn’t truly an official designation in wrestling- where it is in sports like gymnastics. It’s more a semantical thing but if you are second at the Trials and end up going as a training partner, you might be next up, but it doesn’t make you an Olympic alternate or THE Olympic alternate as a designated name.

So many "Olympic alternates" and "1980 Olympians" and "1980 Olympic Alternates" out there, at least there used to be!

15 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

i'm not sure. i don't think he made the team in '76 but @gimpeltf probably has a better grasp on it. 

Wikipedia- Weaver began competing in freestyle wrestling while still in high school. He caused a sensation at the 1976 Olympic trials when he pinned his first eight opponents. He eventually ended up as the alternate on the Olympic team.

• Bob 1

The book "The Trials" by James Moffatt quotes Mike Farlina who beat Weaver for the FS spot.  He also won the GR spot and was a senior in HS at the time.   He said he lost to Bill Rosado (who was the favorite) by a 9-8 score in the 1st round. Weaver pinned Rosado in like 20 seconds.  He wrestled Weaver in the final round and won 13-7 to take the spot. After the trials he went back to finish his senior year at York HS in Elmhurst Ill.  He only won his State once as a senior in 1976.

The book is great for any wrestling fan - full of info about all the Olympic trials from 1960 to 1988

• Bob 2
  • Fire 2

heck of a run for Easton's 103lbers

Bobby Weaver - Olympian

Jack Cuvo - 2x NCAA Champ

Jamarr Billman - 3x NCAA All American

Bryan Snyder - 4x NCAA All American, 2x Finalist

(Willie Saylor) - 🧠

Alex Krom - NCAA Semifinalist

Jordan Oliver - Olympic Trials Champ

• Bob 1

TBD