Rumours

Spelling is in honor of Fleetwood Mac's legendary album.

But in terms of actual rumors, there have been posts suggesting that:

1) An Ivy coaching change could send ripples through the coaching carousel

2) Virginia Tech will be announcing a former head coach as a key hire for them (rumor is its Roselli)

3) Oklahoma State will be finalizing their head coach announcement next week.  Probably will be Coleman, but a few desperate last minute conversations will take place (and will be unlikely to materialize)

4) Connor McGonagle rumored to be headed to Virginia Tech with Latona bumping up to 141 and Crook redshirting

Edited by flyingcement
  • Bob 6
  • Fire 1
  • Haha 1

In order to “start a coaching carousel,” it would have to be a HC leaving right?  If that’s the case, slim chance it’s at Cornell, Penn, Princeton, or Brown.   

My guess would be either Harvard coach to retire (he’s been there 30 years), or Tanelli to Buffalo?

• Bob 1

Just now, 1032004 said:

In order to “start a coaching carousel,” it would have to be a HC leaving right?  If that’s the case, slim chance it’s at Cornell, Penn, Princeton, or Brown.   

My guess would be either Harvard coach to retire (he’s been there 30 years), or Tanelli to Buffalo?

Exactly my thoughts.  Unless someone from the Penn staff is leaving for the Buffalo job after being unhappy with the Valenti hire.  Otherwise I think Tanelli could be poached by someone

7 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

My knee-jerk was Mike Grey getting poached by someone in the big ten.  He's done a great job a few years in a row, Vito just graduated, and Vito was the last light weight guy he had a lot of years with in the room before becoming head coach.

It would be lame for Cornell, but with the "Ivy League" becoming a thing, that will really take the shine off of Cornell's dominance in the future, going from a tier 1B conference to a tier 3 conference impacts schedules somehow.  Grey is also coming off the best result he will have for a very long time as a coach, great time to find a new place somewhere else.

It would have to be a really top team though at a school that really supports its program.  Harvard gives zero craps about its program. They just have more money than god, and Weiss (seemingly) does a very good job of keeping the team on the university's good side.  

And not to intentionally poo-poo the idea of Tanelli going to Buffalo, but it seems like he's got the Columbia team built to a higher standard than Buffalo has been performing at, AND he has access to NYC, his high school stomping grounds for recruiting, and the pull of New York City.  With another year or two, Columbia will be the perennial #2 behind Cornell (assuming Grey stays).  Punching someone through to the semifinals this year was a big big deal.  

• Bob 1

20 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Exactly my thoughts.  Unless someone from the Penn staff is leaving for the Buffalo job after being unhappy with the Valenti hire.  Otherwise I think Tanelli could be poached by someone

But an assistant leaving Penn wouldn’t start a coaching carousel right?

I would be surprised, but not shocked to see Tanelli take one of the open jobs.

I’m guessing the Harvard coach is retiring.

3 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

My knee-jerk was Mike Grey getting poached by someone in the big ten.  He's done a great job a few years in a row, Vito just graduated, and Vito was the last light weight guy he had a lot of years with in the room before becoming head coach.

It would be lame for Cornell, but with the "Ivy League" becoming a thing, that will really take the shine off of Cornell's dominance in the future, going from a tier 1B conference to a tier 3 conference impacts schedules somehow.  Grey is also coming off the best result he will have for a very long time as a coach, great time to find a new place somewhere else.

It would have to be a really top team though at a school that really supports its program.  Harvard gives zero craps about its program. They just have more money than god, and Weiss (seemingly) does a very good job of keeping the team on the university's good side.  

And not to intentionally poo-poo the idea of Tanelli going to Buffalo, but it seems like he's got the Columbia team built to a higher standard than Buffalo has been performing at, AND he has access to NYC, his high school stomping grounds for recruiting, and the pull of New York City.  With another year or two, Columbia will be the perennial #2 behind Cornell (assuming Grey stays).  Punching someone through to the semifinals this year was a big big deal.  

I would be shocked if Grey went somewhere else.

I do agree as I said above that I’d be surprised to see Tanelli to Buffalo.  They did fire the coach though which is rare in wrestling, maybe they have some money to throw around?

6 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

But an assistant leaving Penn wouldn’t start a coaching carousel right?

I would be surprised, but not shocked to see Tanelli take one of the open jobs.

I’m guessing the Harvard coach is retiring.

I would be shocked if Grey went somewhere else.

I do agree as I said above that I’d be surprised to see Tanelli to Buffalo.  They did fire the coach though which is rare in wrestling, maybe they have some money to throw around?

I would also be shocked if Grey left, just depending on how calculating he chooses to be, now is definitely the moment to do so.  He has punched two great finishes out of his lineup.  

From the Penn perspective, maybe Slay was expecting to be the heir apparent and Valenti getting named is having trickledown effects on the RTC.  Slay doesn't have the Ivy-style polish that Valenti does.

No matter what your personal opinions are, college institutions do not want to deal with coaches posting stuff that Brandon Slay has recently. There are plenty of coaches with the same opinions he has but they don’t need to run their big yaps on social media. 

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1
  • Potato 1

4 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

I would also be shocked if Grey left, just depending on how calculating he chooses to be, now is definitely the moment to do so.  He has punched two great finishes out of his lineup.  

From the Penn perspective, maybe Slay was expecting to be the heir apparent and Valenti getting named is having trickledown effects on the RTC.  Slay doesn't have the Ivy-style polish that Valenti does.

I don’t know if they’ll finish 2nd, but Cornell should have a solid squad next year with Shapiro, Ramirez, Foca, Cornella, Fernandez, Ungar, Greg D.

10 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I don’t know if they’ll finish 2nd, but Cornell should have a solid squad next year with Shapiro, Ramirez, Foca, Cornella, Fernandez, Ungar, Greg D

Fernandez the 49 not fernandes the HWY right?

• Bob 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

3 minutes ago, Lunaticfringe said:

If Greg’s last name was Anderson would people continue to think he’s going to be a mainstay in the Cornell lineup?

He actually had pretty good results this year.  Wins over Sotelo, Terukina, Joyce, Kilkeary.  Only losses were to Ungar, Miller & Lujan.  I also listed him last

1 hour ago, flyingcement said:

Key word is "bonkers" (mad/crazy)...If we are to believe the word was used correctly it would be something of the magnitude of a Terry Brands, Brock Lesnar, or some random dude off the street taking a head coaching position in the Ivies.  My guess is it wont be so bonkers

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Bob 2

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

6 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Key word is "bonkers" (mad/crazy)...If we are to believe the word was used correctly it would be something of the magnitude of a Terry Brands or Brock Lesnar taking a head coaching position in the Ivies.  My guess is it wont be so bonkers

Varner?

16 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Key word is "bonkers" (mad/crazy)...If we are to believe the word was used correctly it would be something of the magnitude of a Terry Brands, Brock Lesnar, or some random dude off the street taking a head coaching position in the Ivies.  My guess is it wont be so bonkers

i'm not a fan of these "Man knowing what I know is amazing but i can't tell you" posts.

• Bob 5

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

20 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Who said bonkers?

1 hour ago, poorwrestler said:

I heard a rumor that there’s going to be some big names hitting the portal today and tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salazar to the portal?

12 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I would gladly voulenteer Bono to be that HC to leave!! Lets get this carousel moving!! 

• Fire 2

12 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Austin Sommer, discreet wrestling insider extraordinaire

Whoops, missed that. Ok I don’t think the Harvard coach retiring would qualify as bonkers.  Tanelli to Buffalo might if you’re an EIWA guy.