What is going on in East Lansing?

Something is wrong in East Lansing, as they seem to be the latest Northwestern of the Big. Several of their guys have entered the portal. Does anyone have any good information on this? 

Northwestern had a bunch of guys get degrees and wanted another chance to succeed, so they left.  Mind you, they all had spent at least four years at Northwestern.

The same can be said for Sadlate and Fish at MSU.  Both have over 75 wins for their former university.

What is wrong with wanting to maximize your output your last try?  Both had great seasons and should have placed.

All this said, Sparty leadership is okay with the program not being amongst the top tier or two.  As long as they don't make unnecessary noise(s) like some of these other programs are (in the bad ways) they will be happy.

• Bob 2

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

I would say it is a coaching staff issue. The team has had consistent results over the past few years, and it is clear the team has plateau'd. Chandler is a step up from the Minkel era, but he has hit his ceiling. Sadly, East Lansing is where a lot of careers go to die historically, and I think the program needs a hard reset. Bring in a complete new staff, start building a new facility, and the program will head in the right direction. 

• Fire 1

23 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

I can’t blame a grad transfer, seems the two mentioned just want to try something else for their last ride.

These are rumors I am speaking on so please take with a grain of salt, but I heard that Fish didn't like the way the coaches reacted when he approached them about possibly transferring. I don't expect a coach to be happy about that, but from what I heard Chandler reacted very immaturely and didn't handle the situation appropriately. 

It's going to happen to a BIG team every year. This year its Mich St & Wisconsin. It's not Northweatern this year because they have no big name wrestlers that other teams are pursuing.

Once Sparty gets cleared out this season look for the move to happen to a team like Rutgers or Purdue in 2025. 

16 minutes ago, RandolphTJones said:

It's going to happen to a BIG team every year. This year its Mich St & Wisconsin. It's not Northweatern this year because they have no big name wrestlers that other teams are pursuing.

Once Sparty gets cleared out this season look for the move to happen to a team like Rutgers or Purdue in 2025. 

The Michigan State and Wisconsin situations are entirely different.

Wisconsin is whiffing on the greatest in-state recruiting surge in Wisconsin in... possibly ever, simply because Bono is a turdbiscuit and Askren doesn't like him because he is a turdbiscuit.  Also saying they have a situation similar to Northwestern is wrong, as well.  They lost one guy.  Might be the biggest returning points scorer, but it is still one guy - not three.  State losing two is much more similar to Northwestern.

I don't see it happening to Rutgers.  Goodale has a great atmosphere going on there and the fan interest is as high there as any institution in the country, bar none.  As far as Purdue?  Ersland keeps bringing in recruits, not outsourcing them... that could change though, I suppose.

• Bob 1

11 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Wisconsin is whiffing on the greatest in-state recruiting surge in Wisconsin in... possibly ever, simply because Bono is a turdbiscuit and Askren doesn't like him because he is a turdbiscuit.  Also saying they have a situation similar to Northwestern is wrong, as well.  They lost one guy.  Might be the biggest returning points scorer, but it is still one guy - not three.  State losing two is much more similar to Northwestern.

I don't see it happening to Rutgers.  Goodale has a great atmosphere going on there and the fan interest is as high there as any institution in the country, bar none.  As far as Purdue?  Ersland keeps bringing in recruits, not outsourcing them... that could change though, I suppose.

I would attribute both Wisconsin losing Hamiti, and MSU losing Saldate and Fish to not reaching their wrestling goals. Where as I don't think the Northwestern guys left for that reason. The NW guys were successful before leaving, and I attribute their transfer to NIL money from Michigan, as well as academic reasons (going from one great institution to another).

• Bob 1

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Northwestern had a bunch of guys get degrees and wanted another chance to succeed, so they left.  Mind you, they all had spent at least four years at Northwestern.

The same can be said for Sadlate and Fish at MSU.  Both have over 75 wins for their former university.

What is wrong with wanting to maximize your output your last try?  Both had great seasons and should have placed.

All this said, Sparty leadership is okay with the program not being amongst the top tier or two.  As long as they don't make unnecessary noise(s) like some of these other programs are (in the bad ways) they will be happy.

Thank you! I was totally clueless about what was going on. 

MSU needs a new coach. It's that simple. The right person can turn that dumpster fire into a competitive program. They aren't developing people. Saldate was the same level all 4 years. What is the East Lansing Strangler up to these days? 

46 minutes ago, WrestlingRash said:

MSU needs a new coach. It's that simple. The right person can turn that dumpster fire into a competitive program. They aren't developing people. Saldate was the same level all 4 years. What is the East Lansing Strangler up to these days? 

You understand their facilities dictate that they can likely only put the flames out.  There is no fixing the dumpster fire without improving the room they actually train in.

2 hours ago, YungBullFrog said:

I would attribute both Wisconsin losing Hamiti, and MSU losing Saldate and Fish to not reaching their wrestling goals. Where as I don't think the Northwestern guys left for that reason. The NW guys were successful before leaving, and I attribute their transfer to NIL money from Michigan, as well as academic reasons (going from one great institution to another).

Hasn’t it been surmised repeatedly that it’s nearly impossible to get into the grad programs at nw?    on this board.  In like 10 different threads?

Transfers suck.  Yes.   The portal sucks.  Yes.   But grad transfers are way different than people leaving like sophomore or junior year cause they don’t like their situation. 

Edited by Caveira
  • Bob 2

51 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

You understand their facilities dictate that they can likely only put the flames out.  There is no fixing the dumpster fire without improving the room they actually train in.

My former high schools wrestling room is a slight upgrade over Michigan State's room from the pictures I have seen. 

• Bob 1

27 minutes ago, Gus said:

My former high schools wrestling room is a slight upgrade over Michigan State's room from the pictures I have seen. 

Their wrestling room is what is shit.  They have top of the line facilities otherwise (weight room, etc.)

1 hour ago, Caveira said:

Transfers suck.  Yes.   The portal sucks.  Yes.   But grad transfers are way different than people leaving like sophomore or junior year cause they don’t like their situation. 

How many of these “grad transfers” are actually getting their advanced degrees from the University’s they transfer to ?  I am genuinely curious.  Wrestleknownothing ?  Anybody have data on this ?

Or is it in reality just a “reason” that appeases to the masses to wrestle at a higher profile program that didn’t recruit said wrestler or invest in them previously.

11 hours ago, YungBullFrog said:

I understand guys transferring if they aren't reaching their potential, but is Hamiti really going to improve at OSU?  I'd go to ISU before OSU if I wanted to get better, frankly. 

8 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Their wrestling room is what is shit.  They have top of the line facilities otherwise (weight room, etc.)

How fancy does a wrestling room have to be, though? As long as it holds 3 or 4 full sized mats and can get super hot so guys sweat like pigs is the only requirement.  

• Bob 1

4 hours ago, NM1965 said:

I understand guys transferring if they aren't reaching their potential, but is Hamiti really going to improve at OSU?  I'd go to ISU before OSU if I wanted to get better, frankly. 

I mean, the end result doesn't show so much as it was basically an improvement one one spot for Oly (two guys left the weight class so 8-2=6 and he placed 5th) but he was getting handled by Hamiti before the transfer.  Afterwards he won every time.

Oly improved drastically.  It should be assumed that Hamiti will as well.  Especially with their coaching staff and training situations they have going on there.  (Plott >>>>>>>>>> Maylor).

• Bob 2

17 hours ago, nhs67 said:

the NW and Wiscy comparison was that both school lost their best wrestler(s) After Hamiti, does Wisconsin have anyone left that school would pursue and throw money at?

I agree about your statements regarding Rutgers and Purdue. 

24 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Amos...

If Reader stays, I imagine Amos does.

Reader isn't all bad.  He should get some of the flack, but if he wants to be taken seriously as a HC candidate at a decent institution, he likely cannot remain Bono's AHC.  Bono is a turdbiscuit and today's wrestlers coming up know and understand what that means.

29 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

If Reader stays, I imagine Amos does.

Reader isn't all bad.  He should get some of the flack, but if he wants to be taken seriously as a HC candidate at a decent institution, he likely cannot remain Bono's AHC.  Bono is a turdbiscuit and today's wrestlers coming up know and understand what that means.

Reader to CMU perhaps.