Seth Ciasulli breakdown of Kasaks tournament

I've never heard Abas pronounced that way......and remember you had Gerry and Stephan Abas in past years....both were very good.  Gerry (Jaden's dad) was a 4 time all-american, and his uncle (Stephan) was a 4 time all-american/3 time NCAA Champion and Olympic silver medalist.  Stephan was also named to the NCAA 75th Anniversary Wrestling team.  Gerry also wrestled in one the the most exciting NCAA finals matches of all time in 1993.  It was vs. Lincoln McIlravy and he was way ahead of Lincoln, but Lincoln fought back to an unbelievable 16-15 upset of the highly favored Abas.  This was McIlravy's freshman year and Gable brought him out of redshirt right before Big Ten's to beef up the Iowa lineup.  And yes, great tournament comeback by Kasak!!!

Edited by Fadzaev2
  • Fire 2

On 3/30/2024 at 10:27 AM, Fadzaev2 said:

I've never heard Abas pronounced that way......and remember you had Gerry and Stephan Abas in past years....both were very good.  Gerry (Jaden's dad) was a 4 time all-american, and his uncle (Stephan) was a 4 time all-american/3 time NCAA Champion and Olympic silver medalist.  Stephan was also named to the NCAA 75th Anniversary Wrestling team.  Gerry also wrestled in one the the most exciting NCAA finals matches of all time in 1993.  It was vs. Lincoln McIlravy and he was way ahead of Lincoln, but Lincoln fought back to an unbelievable 16-15 upset of the highly favored Abas.  This was McIlravy's freshman year and Gable brought him out of redshirt right before Big Ten's to beef up the Iowa lineup.  And yes, great tournament comeback by Kasak!!!

With his 3 NCAA titles, Stephen Abas probably would have won the Hodge had it not been for Cael Sanderson..

• Bob 1

The Ciasulli family has a massive hard-on for Lehigh.  

True that Matt and Seth did wrestle for Lehigh.

How do you explain Lehigh not even being included in the list of Nate Desmond’s official recruiting visits? Desmond visited NC State, Cornell, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and PSU. He has already declared for Penn State.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My point...how many kids coached/mentored by Seth have gone to Lehigh?  Desmond is a Ciasulli cousin so clearly there is a broken relationship.

Not a cousin. Desmond’s mom is Seth’s sister. Not a broken family - in fact, they are very close.

As for the Lehigh pipeline, Seth indicates his kids are just hitting college age - Kasak being one of the first. That makes two blue chip recruits (Kasak and Desmond) going to PSU. Where is the Lehigh bias?

Seth is great at this stuff. i just can't stand that cadence of talking that is ubiquitous on youtube vids. ughh. nails on a chalkboard. why!

i wrestled with his oldest brother, Andy. And middle brother Matt was as good as a high school wrestler as i've ever seen.

he absolutely torched Darrell Vasquez the year Vasquez won his 3rd or 4th title in CA. 

watching Matt in practice was so much fun. he was electric. 

• Bob 2
  • Fire 3

TBD

Seth is great at this stuff. i just can't stand that cadence of talking that is ubiquitous on youtube vids. ughh. nails on a chalkboard. why!
i wrestled with his oldest brother, Andy. And middle brother Matt was as good as a high school wrestler as i've ever seen.
he absolutely torched Darrell Vasquez the year Vasquez won his 3rd or 4th title in CA. 

That was one of the best breakdowns I’ve seen.

One thing that is often missed in technical breakdowns, but he did here (IIRC, Kasak vs Lovett match) was talking about the use of the head as a fifth appendage and how Kasak used it to keep Ridge’s knee from rotating back in, which prevented any kind of scramble and planted Ridge firmly on his backside. That was really good stuff.

13 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

Matt vs Sticca state final is one of my favorite matches ever. 

The hype on the forum before the Darrell Vasquez match was great, I think Wrestling Report forum.  One Cali person posted that Vasquez would send Ciasulli home in a body bag.

Vasquez had rough goes with PA kids in HS. I believe Brian Baglio pinned him at the Pittsburgh Classic. 

With that - Darrell Vasquez was a great wrestler and it's a shame that injuries or medical conditions wrecked his college career.

• Bob 1

57 minutes ago, lisa morales said:

Where is the Lehigh bias?

Zero "Ciasulli" kids have gone to Lehigh.  

I misunderstood your bias. You're pissed b/c they're not going to Lehigh?

Not so sure about that.  Seth is wearing a Lehigh sweatshirt during the video recap of Crookham-Vito II.  He's also commented about how Pat Santoro has be a guest clinician at Red Hawk in the past.

image.png.9069036c0ba18b8972a09f7ba6a56014.png

On 3/31/2024 at 8:13 PM, Husker_Du said:

Matt was incredible. I am 100 percent with you on that. 

41 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Either you or @Husker_Du recall when Eckloff dropped down to face Ciasullli in the Northampton vs Easton dual?

https://www.mcall.com/2002/01/27/ecklof-wins-a-battle-but-easton-wins-the-war-he-drops-to-125-and-beats-matt-ciasulli-but-northampton-loses/

If you get stuck behind the pay wall, here you go...

Matt Ciasulli ran between the two lines formed by his teammates and into the spotlight at Easton’s gym. It’s a sight Red Rover fans have seen so many times, but they seemed to roar a little bit louder on Saturday night.

A second later, Northampton’s Jeff Ecklof stormed onto the wrestling mat, and the other side of the gym — packed full with orange-and-black-clad Konkrete Kids fans — erupted into cheers. And for a few minutes, the annual Easton-Northampton wrestling match, already one of the biggest nights in local sports, became larger than life.

Ciasulli, a senior, is a two-time state champion. Ecklof also owns a state title. And on Saturday night, Ecklof dropped to 125 pounds to face Ciasulli.

“It was a great thing for wrestling,” Northampton coach Terry Daubert said. “Everyone wanted to see it.”

In this case, Ecklof won the battle — a 4-3 decision — but Easton won the larger war with a 36-15 victory over Northampton.

The murmurs were rolling through the crowd an hour before the varsity match started.

As Easton spectators walked into their home gym and greeted friends, they couldn’t help but notice something. The Northampton and Easton wrestling lineups were posted on the scoreboard, and two of the biggest names in the Lehigh Valley — Ciasulli and Ecklof — were listed at the same weight, 125.

From that point, it was difficult to tell what the fans were more excited about — the annual match between rival wrestling powerhouses, or the prospect of seeing Ciasulli and Ecklof compete.

Ecklof dropped from over 132 pounds on Friday to 127 on Saturday in order to make weight.

“Jeff made it happen,” Daubert said. “I thought it was too much weight for him to lose. We would have liked to see Ciasulli at 130. Luckily, the Valley got to see two great kids. I’m sure it will go down in history.”

Ecklof took Ciasulli to his back and scored four points in the first period. The Northampton junior made it hold up the rest of the way.

“It was just a little flurry and I came out on top,” Ecklof said.

Ciasulli scored on two escapes, and his third point came when Ecklof was called for stalling late in the third period.

“I kept shooting,” Ecklof said. “He nailed me for stalling. I was hanging a little bit. [But] I knew that was the whole match.”

It was the first loss of the season for Ciasulli, but the Red Rovers kept rolling.

Edited by lu_alum
  • Fire 1

54 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Either you or @Husker_Du recall when Eckloff dropped down to face Ciasullli in the Northampton vs Easton dual?

Yes. Eckloff was very "tactical". Knew how to win close. Ciasulli was quick and a great scrambler.

• Bob 1