Who Should Coach Wisconsin Next Year?

Who Should Coach Wisconsin Next Year?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who SHOULD Coach Wisconsin Next Year?

• Bono
    • Askren(s)
    • Cunningham
    • Metcalf
    • Pritzlaff
    • Ruschell
    • Brandvold
    • Reader
    • Other

On 3/31/2024 at 5:28 AM, Tigerfan said:

I say let Bono stick around a few more years, let him show the ropes to Parker Keckheisen, then give PK the reigns. If he coaches like he wrestles, constant offense, rock solid positioning, stand out conditioning, etc. AWA connections and Schwab-induced intensity seems like an outstanding potential combination. 

Long term that's a great plan.  They may need someone to bridge the gap though 

On 3/30/2024 at 2:57 PM, scourge165 said:

Oh...and as for the coach, it's obvious to me. The same guy MOST programs would hire right now if they could.

You take Cunningham.

ima stop you right there....

his kid is going to be at psu next year, he gets paid as much as any hc in the country to do half the work and is in the best college wresting program to maybe ever exist and the current best program in any sport in all of ncaa.....

you think he's leaving that for Wisconsin? nahh

• Bob 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, scourge165 said:

I don't know either and haven't heard. But, as others mentioned, Minnesota has recruited AWA kids pretty well. So...it's apparently not a bad one.

Brandvold still holds a grudge against Max Askren for beating him 7-6 in the 2005 189 pound Wisconsin State championship match...probably...maybe...no clue 

Edited by HungusMungus

On 4/3/2024 at 1:15 PM, TNwrestling said:

ima stop you right there....

his kid is going to be at psu next year, he gets paid as much as any hc in the country to do half the work and is in the best college wresting program to maybe ever exist and the current best program in any sport in all of ncaa.....

you think he's leaving that for Wisconsin? nahh

Yeah...but you're NOT going to stop me right there...unless you have REALLY poor reading comprehension.

1-If you don't like the pick, take it up with the OP who came up with the list of coaches. Several aren't going to happen. 

IT'S A HYPOTHETICAL.

2-I not only prefaced it by saying Cael has sacrificed money for Cunningham and he runs half the program, but I also ended by saying a REALISTIC option would be Brandvold. 

So tell me where TF I said I "think he's leaving that for Wisconsin?"

It'd be like saying "who should the Badgers try and recruit." Should you NOT name the most obvious and the #1 recruit?

As for the "his kid is coming to PSU," so what? You been paying attention to the landscape of College sports? He could easily follow his Dad and go to Wisconsin. As it stands, his kid may very well not start at PSU(not because of a LACK of talent on his behalf, but the recruits/talent they already have in there). 

Finally, if I was actually going to make this argument, I'd probably go back to when a B1G team poached a young HC from the B12. A coach who'd won 4 Titles and was recognized as the greatest College Wrestler ever...who had just gotten the HCing job after pushing out a HOF coach(not to mention his own coach) and left his alma mater for another school(I hope you get where I'm going with this). 

Wasn't real likely that Cael was going to leave Iowa State for PSU. And yet...look at that! Even with Cael's little brother Wrestling at ISU, he still ended up leaving. 

That's if I was going to make an argument rather than picking the most obvious name from the list of candidates presented in a poll. But SOO glad to you "stopped me there."

• Fire 1

On 4/3/2024 at 4:25 PM, HungusMungus said:

Brandvold still holds a grudge against Max Askren for beating him 7-6 in the 2005 189 pound Wisconsin State championship match...probably...maybe...no clue 

I remember that match. That was...an incredible match between two '89 pounders who both moved so incredibly well.

I know Brandvold did some stuff at AWA while he was at Wisconsin...pretty sure he even did some technique videos with Max. Doubt they're doing that if there is bad blood...but not clue. Seems like they'd have some mutual respect. 

Wisconsin isn't going to fire Bono most likely anyway, so it's all moot, but Brandvold and then maybe trying to get Howe back on staff? That'd be a nice start.

Whoever threw out Jeff Jaeggers, that'd be a helluva hire as well. Be nice to find someone who can peak in March! 

20 minutes ago, animalhouse said:

The post is who SHOULD, not who will. I don't expect Cunningham to leave either.

LOL...exactly. If you put Cael up there, I'd pick Cael. 

Seemed obvious it was a "if you could get any of these coaches, which would you pick," type scenario. Everyone knows Cunningham's role at PSU...and I wouldn't be shocked if Cael only has a couple more years left and Casey takes it over...and doesn't miss a step. 

• Bob 1

4 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

If Bono starts next season as coach, someone is asleep behind the wheel 

Eh, it's just not a priority. They'd owe him 5 years, it's not a revenue sport...they have bigger priorities. If he was gonna be fired, I'd have guessed it would have happened, but maybe I'm wrong.

Even if you had an elite coach, that's not going to magically solve all the issues. You walk into PSU's facilities, tOSU, Iowa...and then Wisconsin...

Bono has done a really good job of getting commitments from kids. He's identified talent early...Estrada from Cali comes to mind. He was not a highly-rated recruit. He wins another title and a few months later, he flips.

I'd imagine taking a visit to Iowa, and seeing the facilities he'll get to use for several years...that probably played a pretty significant role. 

There is a former Wrestler as the AD. He is getting new facilities built for the Football team, a new Gym. Those things should benefit the Wrestling team. MAYBE the next step is a new athletic facility that is for several sports. The Volleyball teams or...whoever, but something that at least includes a nice new room. Not holding my breath. 

---And to the person who asked if people from Wisconsin root for kids who leave the state, I think so, but it's not as universal as it seems to be with NJ. There SEEM to be hard feelings they're not going to Wisconsin...but I think most want to see guys have success.

On 3/30/2024 at 10:11 AM, poorwrestler said:

The coach Wisconsin should want is Trevor Brandvold. But f you guys you can’t have him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a lot of interesting names Wisconsin could target, and many with Wisconsin ties. 

Brandvold seems to be the most likely as I'm not sure if Pritzlaff soured on the position after getting passed over for Bono.

A staff of: HC: Trevor Brandvold HAC: Andrew Howe AC: Tyler Graff AC: Isaac Jordan/Eric Barnett

That is something that can be sold to both alums and recruits IMO.

16 hours ago, flyingcement said:

If Bono starts next season as coach, someone is asleep behind the wheel 

Apparently you aren't familiar with how universities operate.  😉

• Haha 2

On 4/6/2024 at 9:36 PM, scourge165 said:

Yeah...but you're NOT going to stop me right there...unless you have REALLY poor reading comprehension.

1-If you don't like the pick, take it up with the OP who came up with the list of coaches. Several aren't going to happen. 

IT'S A HYPOTHETICAL.

2-I not only prefaced it by saying Cael has sacrificed money for Cunningham and he runs half the program, but I also ended by saying a REALISTIC option would be Brandvold. 

So tell me where TF I said I "think he's leaving that for Wisconsin?"

It'd be like saying "who should the Badgers try and recruit." Should you NOT name the most obvious and the #1 recruit?

As for the "his kid is coming to PSU," so what? You been paying attention to the landscape of College sports? He could easily follow his Dad and go to Wisconsin. As it stands, his kid may very well not start at PSU(not because of a LACK of talent on his behalf, but the recruits/talent they already have in there). 

Finally, if I was actually going to make this argument, I'd probably go back to when a B1G team poached a young HC from the B12. A coach who'd won 4 Titles and was recognized as the greatest College Wrestler ever...who had just gotten the HCing job after pushing out a HOF coach(not to mention his own coach) and left his alma mater for another school(I hope you get where I'm going with this). 

Wasn't real likely that Cael was going to leave Iowa State for PSU. And yet...look at that! Even with Cael's little brother Wrestling at ISU, he still ended up leaving. 

That's if I was going to make an argument rather than picking the most obvious name from the list of candidates presented in a poll. But SOO glad to you "stopped me there."

You're still trying to make an argument that he's leaving..

..he isnt leaving. 

Getting all bent out of shape for nothing. Smh. 

• Haha 1

Prizlaff would be my choice.  I love Askren and I have been close friends with him for a long time.  Ben would not like playing by the rules that he would have to follow.  Not breaking rules and cheating, but like everyone knows, Ben speaks his mind and he does not care about what people think.  He will tell you exactly how he feels or sees something and that is not PC in the university world.  He has done such a great job with AWA and hopefully whenever they do hire a new coach, that coach and Ben will be able to get along and UW can benefit from that.  

• Brain 1

On 4/8/2024 at 8:55 AM, TNwrestling said:

You're still trying to make an argument that he's leaving..

..he isnt leaving. 

Getting all bent out of shape for nothing. Smh. 

Yeah...your reading comprehension sucks. I am NOT making an argument he's leaving. I explicitly said I don't think it's a realistic option. 

You're creating an argument out of nothing. Smh

• Bob 1

I'd take the job but Wisconsin would have to give me a Lincoln Riley type contract. They'd have to buy my current house at well above market value, buy me a new comparable house in Madison, and pay me $8,000,000 a year with a guaranteed 7 year contract. 

Also I want to be paid in platinum bars. 

No sane man wants to be a wrestling coach. 

Edited by NM1965